Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
UpstateMick
Mouseketeer

Anyone else feel cheated by Dessert Party @ MK?

Ok, so paid quite a bit of money for surprise dessert party for myself, my wife and 8 year old DD. got there early...had a nice reserved table up by the railing, started to enjoy desserts, and the fireworks show was set to begin. At that point, all of the people at the party came up to the rail and stood in front of our perfect spot. I pulled my chair up to the rail and was told by a CM that I was not allowed to sit and watch, that I must stand. Odd. Did anyone else feel cheated by this party? At no point did anyone say to me "Enjoy your table...but when the fireworks start, everyone is going to stand in front of you!" i wouldn't do it again.
UpstateMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

I believe that everyone stands to watch the fireworks. I've never heard of anyone sitting, at the railing, to watch the show. I know some people sit, at their table, and watch them but the majority stand car the railing
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

When we did the dessert party, no one was permitted to put their chair along the railing. If they allowed that, everyone would want to do it. By leaving the railing open, anyone can stand by the railing to watch the fireworks. And more people can stand than sit.

The WDW Dessert party was cheaper than the one we did at DL. DL was about $50 per person for fewer desserts compared to the $25 per person at WDW. I thought it was a bargain.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
minnierocks
DIS Veteran

I was informed when making my reservation that most people stand at the railing for the fireworks. The dessert party was a great experience for us. To be sitting there enjoying dessert and coffee while everyone was jockeying for position on Main St. was worth every penny. And even though we were standing for the fireworks, one glance at the sea of people crowded into the hub in front of the castle cemented in my mind that there is no other way to watch the fireworks...I would much rather be on the terrace with 100 people than sandwiched in that crowd.
Spring Break Trip 2011
Thanksgiving 2008
Thanksgiving 2007
*October 2006...Keys to the Kingdom
Keys to the Kingdom TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&page=1&pp=15

*Thanksgiving 2005
*February 2004
minnierocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMick View Post
Ok, so paid quite a bit of money for surprise dessert party for myself, my wife and 8 year old DD. got there early...had a nice reserved table up by the railing, started to enjoy desserts, and the fireworks show was set to begin. At that point, all of the people at the party came up to the rail and stood in front of our perfect spot. I pulled my chair up to the rail and was told by a CM that I was not allowed to sit and watch, that I must stand. Odd. Did anyone else feel cheated by this party? At no point did anyone say to me "Enjoy your table...but when the fireworks start, everyone is going to stand in front of you!" i wouldn't do it again.
No!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

No one blocked our view when my husband and I did this a couple years ago. Most people watched from their tables. We had a front-row seat.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
nikjd68
Mouseketeer

When we did the dessert party it was raining and the fireworks were delayed. It is also a plus to be sitting in a covered area.
nikjd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

I felt the Dessert Party was worth the price just to watch from TT rather than be out on Main Street waiting for an hour and then being in a terrible sea of people before, during and after. I only had 3 chocolate strawberries and a soda, DH had a coffee and 1 strawberry. We were in the front row the CM told us most people stood. We did stand during the Castle pre show then sat for the actual show of Holiday Wishes people lined up on either side on the terrace but dd not stand in front of the front tables allowing many in the first several rows to remain seated. A most enjoyable expierence.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
Disneychix
Is it summer yet?

When we went last Feb we had a front row table. The People sitting behind us put their kids along the railing. It didn't affect our view at all.
I really enjoyed all the desserts. We had fun sampling everything just because we could!

"You ain't never had a friend like MEEEEEE"

May 2010 TR-39th B-Day full of surprises!

Come read my December 2009 TR!!
Disneychix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #10
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

When we went, we were told when we got seated that we were welcome to stand at the railing once the show started, which is what most people did. The expectation was set, and as long as everyone was told the same thing, then it's fair. Personally, the only value to this party is to see fireworks without fighting the crowd (which is a huge value) because the desserts themselves are secondary and average quality, at best, IMO.
POP & Offsite - Aug 2013 - MB/FP+ test
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
SnapesGirl
Mouseketeer

When we did this last April, my mom and I had a table up front. No one stood in front of us during the fireworks (except for a couple of kids, but they were so short anyway). I was expecting more people to be standing so it was a nice surprise that we got to sit through the whole thing.

May 2015 - Art of Animation; May 2014 - Art of Animation (TRIP REPORT) ; April 2012 - Offsite; September 2011 - Offsite; April 2011 - Offsite; May 2001 - Offsite; September 1999 - Fort Wilderness Cabin

SnapesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

My DS and I have done the dessert party multiple times. We always had one of the front tables and no-one ever stood in front of us - though I knew it was a possibility. So last summer DH finally comes with us to WDW [1x every 5 years is enough for him] and I again reserve the dessert party for all of us. I'll be darned if that wasn't the time that everyone stood right in front of us and we couldn't see a thing without standing, but that's the risk you take. I still thoroughly enjoy it.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
patty57
DIS Veteran

I knew ahead of time that people stood at the rail. I think that anyone seated in the back and underneath the roof have to stand at the rail, otherwise they can't see anything at all.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

There are two large tables (immediately to your right as you enter the Terrace) that are placed fairly close to the railings that there's not enough space for people to squeeze in front. So that space is usually spared from people standing against it. But all of the other tables are pushed back far enough from the railings that the spots in front become fair game before the fireworks start.

We've done this twice in the past year. The first time was absolutely magical mainly because we were given one of the two tables I mentioned. The second time we poorly timed our restroom trips for the kids and everyone grabbed a spot up against the railings while we were in the bathrooms. So when we got back, there were no more spots available on the railing. They move up to the railings 5 minutes before the projection show and nobody gives up their spots in between that and Wishes.

So we didn't get as good as a view of the fireworks even though our table was one of the front tables. Before the shows started, we just started enjoying our dessert while staring at the beautiful castle when a couple was seated right in front of us with their Mickey Balloon that also had flashing lights inside of it. Instead of tucking it away elsewhere, they tied it to their chair which completely obstructed our view of the castle. I eventually offered to tie it to our stroller parked in the back of the terrace with the rest of the strollers. It shouldn't have been a big deal but all of this combined made it less of a magical experience than our first time. We're opting to skip this for our next trip.

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014 PTR with MiniTRs to Disney Cali Adventure, Oahu, San Diego, and Vegas
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

I had asked about it on here before I made reservations so I knew it would happen.
My kids LOVED it. We went in July for my birthday. They still talk about it and want to do it again this year.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: