Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #1231
RodBelding
DIS Dad #589
We Got The Better Belding
So help me, if you're encouraging any penguin obsession, things are going to get ugly

Morning guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck619 View Post
Top of the morning guys! Hoping to get some cleaning done today as we move closer to having our in home interview for the home study. It's probably 4-5 weeks out, but I have a DW that throws NOTHING away.

If you don't hear from me for a few days, send an extraction team in
Good luck with the clean up today David, and Godspeed.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #1232
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmickey View Post
I'm not hiding it in the garage. It's in plain sight in the garage. Just open the door and you'll see it.

Quote:
Woke up on the wrong side of the couch and was cranky all day. Didn't help that DS was extra needy... and then of course he goes and puts loose change in his mouth and swallows at least a nickel. UGH!!
!
If he poops out 5 pennies, then you have a problem. I do hope all is ok.

Quote:
Top of the morning guys! Hoping to get some cleaning done today as we move closer to having our in home interview for the home study. It's probably 4-5 weeks out, but I have a DW that throws NOTHING away.

I have one of those DWs as well. My plan to combat it is to have a couple yard sales each year and slowly sell off everything.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion

Last edited by AirGoofy; 03-09-2013 at 11:45 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #1233
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Hope you had a great cruise!!
Quote:
No mutiny stories while on the Dream??

Say hi to the other Duck for me

The cruise was great, a bit cool but good none the less. I will do a trip report when we get back. MK with the inlaws was a good day as well. FIL said he didn't think he would enjoy it but he did and now he knows what we are talking about.

Have a good Saturday everyone.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Old 03-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #1234
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that

I missed 2 days on "THE BOARD". This should be fun trying to catch up on all of your shenanigans!
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (March)
2012 BLT (November), 2013 BWV
Old 03-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #1235
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
Had to post a proud dad moment. We had our first round playoff game tonight. The team as a whole didn't play very well. In the last 5 minutes, DS drained 3-3 point shots to pull away and we won by 8. It was awesome and saved his coaches butt (mine) from an early exit. Next up Friday night.
Awesome for your son and he has the trump card now. "Remember how I saved your job, Dad?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
Well done.

I'd be tempted if I didn't have an informant built in.

My dad said he almost feels bad for the first girl that breaks DS's heart because DD will kick the snot out of her. I totally agreed with him.
That's hysterical and very cool.

Quote:
I've got a serious question I want to bounce off you guys.

The twins have been coming down stairs during the middle of the night and sleeping in our bed. This has been going on for about a year. It started as once in a while then one kid for a week straight and then they'd switch. For about the last month or two it has been both kids. One is down between two and three and the other is between four and six in the morning. Usually it is not a big deal, I don't even realize they come down. but there are some times I wake up with a foot in my back and can't get back to sleep. Anyone have any strategies for getting them to stay up stairs? Or any idea when this stage will end?
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
We've been fighting this battle with DS. I don't know how to delicately say this, but DW doesn't exactly discourage it. I on the other hand, am not a fan of it.

I've been trying to slowly get him out of the habit. We recently bought a new bed, and our old queen bed was moved into his room. I moved his old toddler bed into a corner in our room. When he'd come in, like you, I'd sleep right through it most of the time until I got kicked or hit. I started out by just putting him in the toddler bed when I'd notice him in our bed. He'd usually either fight it, or a few minutes later be back in our bed and I'd repeat the process. Now, all I have to do is tell him and he moves to the toddler bed.

Here's where it gets tricky though. I want to make the toddler bed disappear, but I'm not sure how he'll handle that. I don't want him sleeping in our room at all, but I'd much rather it be in the toddler bed than in our bed.
Quote:
Electric shock therapy? JK

It's tough to get them to break the habit once they get used to it. DD used to come in late at night and jump into bed. She didn't even remember doing it when we would ask her why she was coming in. As she got a little older, she remembered having a bad dream and coming in because she was scared. Maybe try to ask them if they know they are coming and and ask why. Once we talked about it and she realized it was happening it mostly stopped. Now if she has a nightmare or something, she'll come in and wake me up to talk about it, but doesn't climb into bed.

My DS used to sleep walk with his eyes open. It was pretty creepy. That stopped with age as well. It's possible they don't even know or think about it. Ours kind of cured itself when we talked about it. Of course you never want to tell them they can't come in, especially if it is a bad dream or they re scared. Good luck.

Oh, and DD used to scrape her toe nails down the back of my leg. Drove me crazy. I would get up in the morning with red scratch marks down my calf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
There’s a potential can of worms. I wouldn’t even dare post this one out in the family board. Imagine the carnage! There are a lot of differing opinions as to whether or not you even should stop this. And there is never a one size fits all approach so I’ll tell you what we did.

I’m old-fashioned on this issue and don’t hold to the “family bed” concept. So I put a stop to that behavior immediately. There needs to be at least one sanctuary on earth that belongs just to mom and dad (as the kids will receive or take everything else… and ought to). When our son would try to climb into bed with us at night I’d get up (and it was always me), gently pick him up and then tuck him snugly back into his own bed. He’d get kind words, hugs and plenty of reassurance that all was well, but he’d also be reminded that he had a bed of his own and it was not ours. Sickness or nightmares were different. He was encouraged to wake us when anything was wrong, but even then we’d get up with him rather then take him into bed with us. The only exception to this was if we were all awake and watching TV or a movie in bed. Once sleep time arrived, however, that was it.

If it’s been happening for a while, the habit may be tougher to break though. As for growing out of it… everyone is different. I know of families where older kids and even teens will climb into bed with their folks and I’ve heard a few dads even say that they will just get up and sleep somewhere else in the house when it happens. I love my son dearly, but I absolutely adore his mother and intend to stay with her the rest of my life and long after he’s grown and left us. There needs to be that one unshakable boundary where we will not be separated… even by our own young’en.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy + 3 View Post
I'm pretty much a hard-liner with almost everything parent/kids related. We've dealt with this. As soon as they would come in, I'd turn them around and put them back in bed. No cuddles- back to bed. I'm a little more gentle if one of them had a bad dream. Problem went away in no time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post
I broke this habit almost immediately....though, fortunately, it never really became an epidemic. I removed him and put him in his own bed as soon as he showed up. Even if he was sick....in that case me or my wife stayed in the chair in his room---which is quite comfy.

My personal spaces are my personal spaces...period. Drawing the line in the bed made it easier to draw the line on other areas later..
There's a room in my house that he is NOT allowed to go into unless I'm with him (It's my office. The gun safe is in there--and even though he can't get in that, I don't even want him in there at all without supervision)
I saw several replies to this. But we dealt with it by putting the girls right back into their beds. No words. Just put them right back in. Might be a little bit of short term pain if they keep coming back in, but trust me, it will subside quickly.

Quote:
The kids are playing baseball in the house. I'm debating breaking it up or not. The bat and balls are vinyl covered cardboard so there is no risk of damage. I'm more worried of setting a precedent.

I can't wait for spring.
I hear you. At times my girl are crazy in the house and the wife and let it go sometimes in the vein of, "They're playing nicely, together."

Quote:
You mean you don't rinse of your kids when they get out of the pool?

At least he didn't offer to connect you to Al Gore.
My goodness....folks on some of those threads are just crazy and looking to pick fights. I pointed out to a few them that responded to my quereies, with "I asked specific questions, you answered none of them, Instead you provided unsolicited opinions. Please don;t subscribe to my thread b\c I found nothing oyu have to offer useful. Thanks and have a great day."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post

If he poops out 5 pennies, then you have a problem.

I have one of those DWs as well. My plan to combat it is to have a couple yard sales each year and slowly sell off everything.
My DW will get rid of some stuff but she tends to lose focus on these types of things b\c as a working mom, she feels the need to be Home Room Mom, Girl Scout leader, etc. So those things end up taking precedence over the house stuff. Can't fault her.
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (March)
2012 BLT (November), 2013 BWV
Old 03-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #1236
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcw23 View Post
I missed 2 days on "THE BOARD". This should be fun trying to catch up on all of your shenanigans!
It takes consistently. That is about all the effort I can muster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcw23 View Post
My DW will get rid of some stuff but she tends to lose focus on these types of things b\c as a working mom, she feels the need to be Home Room Mom, Girl Scout leader, etc. So those things end up taking precedence over the house stuff. Can't fault her.
I have my Disney pin collection. The plan is to replace my wardrobe with all Disney clothes, and then when we move to FL near Disney, decorate the condo in all Disney stuff. I guess I wouldn't mind as much if she kept that stuff, but it is all the other stuff.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 03-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #1237
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Hey Norm, you've got mail!

Old 03-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #1238
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
The cruise was great, a bit cool but good none the less. I will do a trip report when we get back. MK with the inlaws was a good day as well. FIL said he didn't think he would enjoy it but he did and now he knows what we are talking about.

Have a good Saturday everyone.
Are you back home or still in WDW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post
Hey Norm, you've got mail!

That one won't fit in my signature. But, mail it to CJ as a gift from the UK wildcats over his Gators.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 03-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #1239
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Are you back home or still in WDW?
We are staying in Kissimee. MK was just for the day, one of our Christmas presents to DW's parents. They rented a house here for the month and we are staying with them and flying home on Monday morning. DW's brother and his wife rented a house here for the week and they took Declan to Universal today for his birthday. Our little boy turns 12 today.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Old 03-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #1240
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Quote:
That one won't fit in my signature. But, mail it to CJ as a gift from the UK wildcats over his Gators.
The Gators blew that game. Congrats to the Cats on the win. I think KY has a great chance to win the NIT tournament.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #1241
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Quote:
We are staying in Kissimee. MK was just for the day, one of our Christmas presents to DW's parents. They rented a house here for the month and we are staying with them and flying home on Monday morning. DW's brother and his wife rented a house here for the week and they took Declan to Universal today for his birthday. Our little boy turns 12 today.
Happy Birthday to DS. That sounds really fun. I'm ready to move to FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post
The Gators blew that game. Congrats to the Cats on the win. I think KY has a great chance to win the NIT tournament.
Yes, Gators didn't show. When Noel went down, their season was over. I don't think they would have won the tournament, but they would have at least competed in it. Maybe UL will make a good run again this year.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 03-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #1242
disdadIL
DIS Dad #711
Big Trouble in Little Suburbs

Happy birthdays all around.

Oz the Great and Powerful = excellent!!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #1243
RodBelding
DIS Dad #589
We Got The Better Belding
So help me, if you're encouraging any penguin obsession, things are going to get ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post

well done.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #1244
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTikiDaddy View Post
Did you pull his arm down to see if you could hit the jackpot?

Hopefully it was just that nickel. Kids'll put anything in their mouths (except vegetables)
Quote:
If he poops out 5 pennies, then you have a problem. I do hope all is ok.
We'll keep an eye on his diapers. If pennies come out, we'll be concerned. I know he didn't swallow any dollar coins or bills, so if any of those come out, we'll feed him some more nickels!!

Quote:
Happy Birthday, Declan!

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
BLT/DCL Dream/BCV July/August 2012
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR In Progress
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!
Our Disney Blog: "Home is Where the Mouse is"

Treguna Mekoides and Trecorum Satis Dee
Old 03-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #1245
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Quote:
Happy birthday to Declan. He could be spending it in worse places.

Quote:
Yes, Gators didn't show. When Noel went down, their season was over. I don't think they would have won the tournament, but they would have at least competed in it. Maybe UL will make a good run again this year.
They didn't score a point in the last 7+ minutes. They probably fell to a 3 or even 4 seed. Was watching the game when Noel got injured. Shame it happened.
Closed Thread

Tags
bacon, penguins, post padding, star wars

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: