Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #1126
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Good morning, men.

Glad to see my nemesis has managed to find the clubhouse. It's been so long I thought he was lost.

At least more lost than usual.
You only think you know where you are.
I can assure you that your senses are deceiving you.

Or maybe it’s something else that is rattling what little wits you have left about you…

Quote:
We've got the local morning news on TV. They just came back from commercial break playing the Thrift Shop song. This song is beginning to be about like IASW, only without any of the warm fuzzy feeling that you get from the nostalgia of the attraction. I hear this frickin' song and I can't get it out of my head.
See…
My master plan is working perfectly!

Bwwaaaaaahhaaahaaahaaaaaa!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #1127
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck619 View Post
Morning guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dedfish View Post
Morning David!!

Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
Morning gentlemen
Quote:
Good morning, men.

Glad to see my nemesis has managed to find the clubhouse. It's been so long I thought he was lost.

At least more lost than usual.
Good Morning All. That elusive day called Friday is almost here. Todays weather calls for wind, snow, rain, coastal flooding and all the fun that goes along with it. Hope everyone has a good day.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #1128
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

we've got snow and freezing rain coming Saturday. Winter just doesn't want to go away.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress
Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #1129
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704

Looks like Star Wars invaded the Princess Half marathon.
http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/ind...rwars-blog_rss
Maybe they should add a race during one of the weekends.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
Old 03-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #1130
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704

I've got a serious question I want to bounce off you guys.

The twins have been coming down stairs during the middle of the night and sleeping in our bed. This has been going on for about a year. It started as once in a while then one kid for a week straight and then they'd switch. For about the last month or two it has been both kids. One is down between two and three and the other is between four and six in the morning. Usually it is not a big deal, I don't even realize they come down. but there are some times I wake up with a foot in my back and can't get back to sleep. Anyone have any strategies for getting them to stay up stairs? Or any idea when this stage will end?
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #1131
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
You fly me to Hawaii. I'll get the Dole Whip, add bacon, and post a picture.
Getting the Penguins trained to fly and carry a load!

Old 03-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #1132
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Quote:

The twins have been coming down stairs during the middle of the night and sleeping in our bed. This has been going on for about a year. It started as once in a while then one kid for a week straight and then they'd switch. For about the last month or two it has been both kids. One is down between two and three and the other is between four and six in the morning. Usually it is not a big deal, I don't even realize they come down. but there are some times I wake up with a foot in my back and can't get back to sleep. Anyone have any strategies for getting them to stay up stairs? Or any idea when this stage will end?
Try Vaseline on the door knob. Their hands will slip off and they won't be able to get out.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #1133
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:

We've been fighting this battle with DS. I don't know how to delicately say this, but DW doesn't exactly discourage it. I on the other hand, am not a fan of it.

I've been trying to slowly get him out of the habit. We recently bought a new bed, and our old queen bed was moved into his room. I moved his old toddler bed into a corner in our room. When he'd come in, like you, I'd sleep right through it most of the time until I got kicked or hit. I started out by just putting him in the toddler bed when I'd notice him in our bed. He'd usually either fight it, or a few minutes later be back in our bed and I'd repeat the process. Now, all I have to do is tell him and he moves to the toddler bed.

Here's where it gets tricky though. I want to make the toddler bed disappear, but I'm not sure how he'll handle that. I don't want him sleeping in our room at all, but I'd much rather it be in the toddler bed than in our bed.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #1134
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Electric shock therapy? JK

It's tough to get them to break the habit once they get used to it. DD used to come in late at night and jump into bed. She didn't even remember doing it when we would ask her why she was coming in. As she got a little older, she remembered having a bad dream and coming in because she was scared. Maybe try to ask them if they know they are coming and and ask why. Once we talked about it and she realized it was happening it mostly stopped. Now if she has a nightmare or something, she'll come in and wake me up to talk about it, but doesn't climb into bed.

My DS used to sleep walk with his eyes open. It was pretty creepy. That stopped with age as well. It's possible they don't even know or think about it. Ours kind of cured itself when we talked about it. Of course you never want to tell them they can't come in, especially if it is a bad dream or they re scared. Good luck.

Oh, and DD used to scrape her toe nails down the back of my leg. Drove me crazy. I would get up in the morning with red scratch marks down my calf.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #1135
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:

There’s a potential can of worms. I wouldn’t even dare post this one out in the family board. Imagine the carnage! There are a lot of differing opinions as to whether or not you even should stop this. And there is never a one size fits all approach so I’ll tell you what we did.

I’m old-fashioned on this issue and don’t hold to the “family bed” concept. So I put a stop to that behavior immediately. There needs to be at least one sanctuary on earth that belongs just to mom and dad (as the kids will receive or take everything else… and ought to). When our son would try to climb into bed with us at night I’d get up (and it was always me), gently pick him up and then tuck him snugly back into his own bed. He’d get kind words, hugs and plenty of reassurance that all was well, but he’d also be reminded that he had a bed of his own and it was not ours. Sickness or nightmares were different. He was encouraged to wake us when anything was wrong, but even then we’d get up with him rather then take him into bed with us. The only exception to this was if we were all awake and watching TV or a movie in bed. Once sleep time arrived, however, that was it.

If it’s been happening for a while, the habit may be tougher to break though. As for growing out of it… everyone is different. I know of families where older kids and even teens will climb into bed with their folks and I’ve heard a few dads even say that they will just get up and sleep somewhere else in the house when it happens. I love my son dearly, but I absolutely adore his mother and intend to stay with her the rest of my life and long after he’s grown and left us. There needs to be that one unshakable boundary where we will not be separated… even by our own young’en.

Last edited by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes; 03-07-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #1136
Goofy + 3
DDC 400
Remember, it's ok to cry a little. Not too much, just a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy + 3 View Post
Snow is great and all, but I had to cancel the endoscopy due to road troubles. Dang it! All that fasting for nothing. I was looking forward to seeing the pink elephants. At least this means I'll be awake for the Blackhawks game tonight. And based on what I read on here last week, I checked out Black Cauldron. I'll be watching that with the kids this afternoon.
Quote:
How was it?
The 'Hawks game? Awesome. Another win. Black Cauldron? No idea- fell asleep 10 minutes in. That's two movies in a row I slept through. Frankenweenie was the other.
Quote:

I'm pretty much a hard-liner with almost everything parent/kids related. We've dealt with this. As soon as they would come in, I'd turn them around and put them back in bed. No cuddles- back to bed. I'm a little more gentle if one of them had a bad dream. Problem went away in no time.
DIS Dad #400

Old 03-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #1137
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Has anybody heard from Casey lately?

I've been thinking about him and his family the past few days since that nutcase with a deathwish to his north has started making threats.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #1138
Goofy + 3
DDC 400

Quote:
Has anybody heard from Casey lately?

I've been thinking about him and his family the past few days since that nutcase with a deathwish to his north has started making threats.
I'm sure diplomat Rodman will take care of it.
DIS Dad #400

Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #1139
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy + 3 View Post
I'm sure diplomat Rodman will take care of it.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #1140
Goofy + 3
DDC 400

Quote:
Did you see his interview? Holy smokes. If he has a manager, he needs to be fired for letting him get in front of a microphone. What a maroon.
DIS Dad #400

Closed Thread

Tags
bacon, penguins, post padding, star wars

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: