Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

Question iPad vs laptop? UPDATE 02/21/13

Has anyone ditched their laptop in favor of the iPad? I've been thinking about it, cause I've wanted an iPad since they were first introduced, but I'm not sure how I'd adjust. I basically only use my laptop for news, research, pay bills, facebook and the DIS. Anyway, it's time for a new one and I'm not sure which way I wanna go. thanks!

Last edited by Minerva Mouse; 02-21-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

I never thought I would have liked an iPad better than our laptops but since I have started using the iPad I have not picked the lap top up. Our ipad is so much faster and easier to use. I love the ipad and i would never buy a laptop again.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

I use my laptop so little now. BUT, it is something I do still need when I travel or am away from home to replace my desktop.

I have programs & work that I cannot do on an iPad, yet. Perhaps someday.

But, yeah, if you really only use a laptop for email, surfing, message boards, google, and games; then an iPad is all you need. However, not everyone can afford an iPad, so laptops are still going to be around since they are cheaper in many cases.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Casperina
Mouseketeer

DH brought home a Windows Surface as our shared Christmas gift (I will get him some games, tech goods, and new cords and he always gets me awesome surprises!).
He likes it because it runs the Windows operating system (windows 8, getting used to it!) and acts just like it was a touch screen laptop. It has a USB port and a HD out. It also has a keyboard hard cover that is thinner than cardboard.
We aren't set to get rid of our laptops just yet, though, as that will never happen. However, the Surface fits in my pocketbook...

ME DH
May your day be filled with happy wonder!
Casperina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Minerva Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperina View Post
DH brought home a Windows Surface as our shared Christmas gift (I will get him some games, tech goods, and new cords and he always gets me awesome surprises!).
He likes it because it runs the Windows operating system (windows 8, getting used to it!) and acts just like it was a touch screen laptop. It has a USB port and a HD out. It also has a keyboard hard cover that is thinner than cardboard.
We aren't set to get rid of our laptops just yet, though, as that will never happen. However, the Surface fits in my pocketbook...
The Surface is another possible contender, BUT, I struggle every time Microsoft updates windows, I still prefer Windows XP. So, my issue here is do I want to get accustomed to a new OS again. I have an iPhone, so I know my way around the apple. But, now that my brain is awake, the new lap tops also have Windows 8, so either way (laptop or surface) I would have to figure it out. DUH!

How's it working out for ya?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
Rememberingthe70s
Old School

I still have my laptop, but my iPad has replaced about 95% of my computer use - even word processing, professional recording, and basic graphic design. I have an iPad case/keyboard/stand that essentially tuns it into a little laptop. Anyhoo. With all the apps that are available for iPad now, I rarely turn on my laptop. I think it's awesome, and I love that I can be so easily portable.
WDW Commando Club Member #119
36 Years of Vacationing at WDW
Rememberingthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
Casperina
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva Mouse View Post
The Surface is another possible contender, BUT, I struggle every time Microsoft updates windows, I still prefer Windows XP. So, my issue here is do I want to get accustomed to a new OS again. I have an iPhone, so I know my way around the apple. But, now that my brain is awake, the new lap tops also have Windows 8, so either way (laptop or surface) I would have to figure it out. DUH!

How's it working out for ya?
Oh, I totally get that! I sometimes pull out an old windows 98 tower to play old games on... Our desktops have XP, netbook has 8, and laptops have 7.
I highly recommend windows 8.
We got an early preview as DH works for a big company, then put the beta when it was released on my netbook. Really, just go in to a windows store and play a bit, it sure is fun.

ME DH
May your day be filled with happy wonder!
Casperina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

Earlier this year, my laptop wasn't charging its battery so I was tethered to the outlet. So, I used my husband's tablet a few times. I found it very difficult to type any kind of text on it. That would be my only concern with ditching the laptop.
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
Minerva Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Giggleface View Post
Earlier this year, my laptop wasn't charging its battery so I was tethered to the outlet. So, I used my husband's tablet a few times. I found it very difficult to type any kind of text on it. That would be my only concern with ditching the laptop.
I share that concern as well, but you can always add the keyboard to the iPad right?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
gr8tdame
Enchanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva Mouse

I share that concern as well, but you can always add the keyboard to the iPad right?
I have both. I have a 32gb ipad with 4 g but it just does not have enough memory for all my needs. No USB ports for a flash drive. However my ipad cannot store all the applications I need such as Microsoft works, iWork's, quicken etc. I need at least a 500 gb hd ... 32 gb just is not enough.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Jan 2-14 2013 POFQ, Jan 7 - Jan 17 2012 POR, Sept 28- Oct 5 2011 POR, Sept 18 -Oct 2.2010POR,Sept 18-Oct 3 2009 GF and POR,:Sept 20 -Oct 4,2008 POR ,2007 CSR,2004 GF, 2002 Hard rock,2000 POLY,1999 DTD,1998 GF, 1997 DTD, 1995 ASMU and off site,1990 GF,1989 POLY,1987 CR,1985 GF,1977 offsite,1976 offsite
gr8tdame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
teacherforhi
Pit Stop!
My cats allow me to sleep in the bed with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva Mouse View Post
I've looked, but they use batteries. The last thing I need is to worry about my keyboard dying when I need to get lesson plans or IEPs typed.

Also, I watch television shows on my laptop because some websites won't play on my iPad.

I basically use my laptop as a desktop. It sits on a table and rarely moves, so I bought one with a large screen and didn't worry too much about portability or battery life.

"If there's one thing you should know about bunnies...it's that they play to win."
teacherforhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

i got all 3, a desktop, laptop and a iPad. My laptop is basically for travel use only now that i have an iPad. If im not on my desktop, im most likely sitting on the couch or bed with my iPad. Unless i need to type something long, i stick with my iPad.

iPad is just easier to use, quicker to open and start and more compact. I guess in a way, my laptop is my desktop replacement when i go out of my room...
Old 11-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
Minerva Mouse

Thanks, I think I'm gonna give it a go with the iPad. I just wish it was a little bit bigger .
Old 11-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I'd be more likely to get a Microsoft Surface or Ultrabook or some kind of tablet/laptop combo. I don't think I'd be happy with just a tablet.

Although an iPad can have a keyboard, so I guess that works just as well. I guess it depends on whether you are a Microsoft, Android, or Mac type of person.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

I have a MacBook Pro and an iPad. The MBP I bought because I needed a place to keep my iTunes (and my current laptop was on the way out), but I have found I use it a lot (like when laying on the couch watching football, sitting out by the pool and then to work on work stuff, plus some creative writing, oh yeah photo editing as well). The iPad I use more for my Yoga workouts, when I need to look something up quickly, recipes, magazine reading, video watching and when laying in bed just surfing (if my iPhone isn't good enough for whatever I am doing). I don't have a desktop (DH does and will be getting the new iMac if it ever comes out. LOL).
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: