Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #106
Magalex
DIS Veteran

Since our DS was 4 1/2 years old in 2005. We have never considered off-site. Now he is 12. We are considering an off-site hotel with suites(June 2014) to help spend less on meals. But our decision wil go back & forth because our WDW vacations are always in June. We like the evening EMH because we like to avoid the heat of the sun as much as possible. I can't imagine WDW taking long evening hours away in the summer.
WDW 2010-POP
WDW 2012-CBR
DL/DCA 2013-Candy Cane Inn
WDW and Sea World Orlando June 2014- The "B" resort in DTD
WDW 2015-POR
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #107
CtinaDitty
Disney Fanatic

EMH are one of the best perks of staying on-site. Really hope they don't do away with these, especially during the seasons where the park isn't open as late...
CtinaDitty is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #108
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I'm glad you asked...

Orlando international is the 13th largest airport by passenger traffic in the US.

It is the 29th on earth.

35.5 million visitors annually (Disney's gate numbers are about 50 million tickets scanned...not individuals...that is a very important distinction. Compare their gate number to the OiA passenger numbers...see the coincidence there?). One of the largest numbers of countries/airlines represented in the US.

For reference, mco is not a hub for a major airline (as almost all airports with heavier traffic are on the list...and only mccarron airport matches the type of travel with its ranking on the list ...aka a "tourist town" - Vegas). Orlando is the 79th largest city in the country. The metropolitan area is 26th largest.

Orlando is not a business hub by any measurement. No driving corporate presence or major market share. 75% of the economy is tied directly to travel.

All the stats are due to Disney...there is no other conclusion.
WDW is a flight destination. look at the numbers.

The question is not how many people drive...it's how many could possibly drive with the amount of People flying into a small town where almost nobody skips Disney...
Perhaps no major local corporate presence (though I'd say that is disputable if you count UCF and the various health-care related instituations in Central Fl.), but according to VisitOrlando's statistics (latest avail. 2011), of the total of 55,168,000 visitors to Orlando, nearly 10M visitors came for business or a convention. Now of course, some of those people also visit theme parks while they are there, but a fairly large percentage actually don't; the number that VisitOrlando shows is that 23% of business visitors go to the theme parks, while 50% of leisure visitors do.

According to VisitOrlando, the fly/drive percentage ratio for leisure visitors is 26/69 (4% other, presumably train or motorcoach), while for business visitors it is 57/39%. Additionally, of the total domestic volume of people who visited Orlando for leisure reasons (41.4+M in 2011), a little over half of them (~21.5M) came from elsewhere in Florida.

Based on those numbers, and completely leaving out all international visitors from the calculation (because their total number is about equal to the percentage of domestic visitors who are children) it looks like a conservative number for how many COULD drive to the parks each year based on past patterns would account for just under 13.6M vehicles. (To try to err on the conservative side, I left out all international visitors, all domestic visitors who came by means other than air or a car, and all travelers who came in a larger-than-family-sized group, then based the rest on the percentage who visited theme parks, times the percent who arrived by car.)

http://corporate.visitorlando.com/re...sitor-volumes/

http://corporate.visitorlando.com/re...sitor-profile/

http://corporate.visitorlando.com/re...sitor-profile/
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #109
kirby428
Mousejunkie Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds4angels View Post
As PP said, then they must be going to use the RFID band to entice guests to stay on site. We would have never been able to do all we did in MK w/o EMH hours and had we not did the EMH am hours at AK we wouldn't have had such a great 1st ride on the safari.
Great just when I get it all figured out and show dh how Disney is "worth it" they change it on us
FP+ has the potential to reward Disney resort guests by allowing progressively more FP+ per day according to the room rate you have booked. This is a transitional time with more guesses than fact. When guests realize how great it is to use FP+, it will lite a fire under ideas for how it can be used to cut staffing without cutting park ticket sales.

kirby428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #110
marauder428
Earning My Ears

Don't believe it will happen this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy922 View Post
Was reading Josh's recent post today on his easywdw site and the very last thing he wrote was this:
"The September 2013 operating schedule is still unavailable. Extra Magic Hours could be axed as soon as September, which may be the reason for the delay. But we’ll see."
WHAT?!..I hadn't heard this. If this is true, I wonder when this will occur and if WDW will add a different perk for onsite guests. This is very interesting, indeed.
The 2013 WDW video goes into detail about extra magic hours. I don't believe that they would give it the axe this year- on that premise alone. Disney doesn't just prop something mid year. Something as big as EMH, anyway. I would not worry about this year.
marauder428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #111
robinbutterfly
DIS Veteran

What would be their reason for taking away EMH?

*May 2015-Grand Floridian and Beach Club * November 2013- Dolphin and POFQ *October 2012- WDW Swan * January 2012- WDW Boardwalk Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas. *January 2010-WDW Bay Lake Tower *January 2009-WDW Wilderness Lodge * June 2003- Disneyland Paris on our Honeymoon. WDW SEVERAL times as a kid. *1979- Disneyland in California
My husband Me My son : My daughter
robinbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #112
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbutterfly View Post
Only one reason. Not that there is any firm indication it's actually going away...... but if it did.......

$$$$$$$$
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #113
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbutterfly
The cost of additional overhead during them...lack of additional revenue (merchandise) during them...lack of crowds during regular hours at the parks where they're being held.

In reality - all of the above
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #114
Paisleyjane
Magic Kingdom Fan

End of EMH

This is quite disappointing to hear. I fear they will phase out all EMH in all parks, which was the best reason for staying on property. We are beginning to rethink our return to WDW every year.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #115
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The cost of additional overhead during them...lack of additional revenue (merchandise) during them...lack of crowds during regular hours at the parks where they're being held.

My bookings will drop because of this, I'll be staying offsite from now on if this does happen.
ChipnDale79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #116
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If that is how they view it, then it will be their loss. Their "additional revenue" comes in the form of people booking onsite rooms instead of choosing much less expensive lodging offsite.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #117
denisea51
Mouseketeer

Just read on Facebook that they are NOT going to have EMH at MK during peak season. Read about it on easywdw.

Denise
Old 03-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #118
3happydancers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisea51 View Post
Just read on Facebook that they are NOT going to have EMH at MK during peak season. Read about it on easywdw.

Denise
I heard the same thing. A friend of mine read it on easywdw but I think they are only eliminating the Friday night EMH at MK. Which stinks for us because we arrive on a Friday and planned dinner in the Kingdom and taking advantage of the extra park hours. As time goes on, Disney is becoming less appealing to my family. They are not liking all the changes.

2006, '07, '08 POFQ
2009 Saratoga Springs/POFQ
2010 Animal Kingdom Kidani Village
3happydancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #119
aimeeinohio
Mouseketeer

We drove to Orlando from Ohio the first time we went but left the car parked at the resort. I'll take the busses any day!
Walt Disney World All Star Movies August 2013

...Hoping for a Disney cruise in 2015 for our 20th wedding anniversary...

aimeeinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #120
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk

If that is how they view it, then it will be their loss. Their "additional revenue" comes in the form of people booking onsite rooms instead of choosing much less expensive lodging offsite.
Well...perhaps

But while some revenue might be lost...the money spent on hotels tend to be closer to profit neutral...meaning most of it goes to overhead.

The giftshops on the other hand...are profit heavy...which is the goal.

So if EMH are lightly attended and there is not a sustained source of profits from them...they will be eliminated.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: