Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #91
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

It wuld be easier to take the number odf people who fly into MCO on average day andassign % to Disney.I would be surprised if it is greater than 50%.

I would guess the average people per room would besomethingl ike 2.7 assumingthat you cannot have more than four in a room.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #92
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post
1. Sometimes it can actually be faster to get to park from a non-resort hotel. .

We are DVC so we always stay on site-- Once I traveled with a friend and family to do Richard Petty experience, and stayed with them off site. After Racing, we wanted to go to MK. Drove to the parking lot, waited for 3 trams to get to TTC, waited in line for the ferry boat through 3 or 4 boat loads, and still couldn't board. Finally we gave up and left. This was early May last year. I'll take the Disney transport.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #93
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

I am sorry,
I thought Magical express was the (getting you to and from airport).
The bus system to the parks is definately the biggest perk of onsite.
second to me and not far behind would be the EMH.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #94
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswel_Cogs View Post
I am sorry,
I thought Magical express was the (getting you to and from airport).
The bus system to the parks is definately the biggest perk of onsite.
second to me and not far behind would be the EMH.

You're right-- it is-- I was referring to driving your car to the parks from an off site resort as opposed to taking the internal bus system...
Old 03-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #95
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueRanger

There is a flaw to your logic. You are assuming that everyone that drives to Disney actually drives their own vehicles to the parks. That is most definitely not so. We always drive to WDW, but our car stays parked at the resort til checkout. Most people on-site use Disney transportation and even a large number of the off-site hotels have shuttles as well. So, there is no way to guage the amount of people with cars just by the amount of parking spaces used.
I actually covered that...though kinda skipped passed it.
There are simply not enough parking spots at resorts for your claim about driving to be true.

Not even close. Now, there are situations that may warp those numbers...2
Rooms for 4 people in the same car...but not enough to make it a "drive destination"

WDW is a flight destination...as evidence by the high volume at OIA for a fairly small US city.

And the preference of flight has only grown over the last 30-40 years.
Now perhaps there is some airline backlash because "cheap" flights are extinct...but still...gas ain't cheap either.

Driving is basically for southerners and those that can't function without their car (my deceased father...and those of that ilk)...but those numbers have steadily declined.

The majority of the travelers are from the upper east coast (by far), upper Midwest, lower Canada, Europe, and expanding Latin American market...and they are mostly fliers. Some because aqua cars haven't been invented yet.

Sure the Deep South and lower Midwest features alot of drivers...but they are the icing...not the cake.

You can look it up yourself if you want:
Look at the number of lined spots in the Parking lots on google earth...then compare it to the total number of rooms.

And rental cars take up a large # of those spots still.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #96
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

You are probabbly right, I was just guessing.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #97
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswel_Cogs
It wuld be easier to take the number odf people who fly into MCO on average day andassign % to Disney.I would be surprised if it is greater than 50%.

I would guess the average people per room would besomethingl ike 2.7 assumingthat you cannot have more than four in a room.
I'm glad you asked...

Orlando international is the 13th largest airport by passenger traffic in the US.

It is the 29th on earth.

35.5 million visitors annually (Disney's gate numbers are about 50 million tickets scanned...not individuals...that is a very important distinction. Compare their gate number to the OiA passenger numbers...see the coincidence there?). One of the largest numbers of countries/airlines represented in the US.

For reference, mco is not a hub for a major airline (as almost all airports with heavier traffic are on the list...and only mccarron airport matches the type of travel with its ranking on the list ...aka a "tourist town" - Vegas). Orlando is the 79th largest city in the country. The metropolitan area is 26th largest.

Orlando is not a business hub by any measurement. No driving corporate presence or major market share. 75% of the economy is tied directly to travel.

All the stats are due to Disney...there is no other conclusion.
WDW is a flight destination. look at the numbers.

The question is not how many people drive...it's how many could possibly drive with the amount of People flying into a small town where almost nobody skips Disney...
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"

Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 03-04-2013 at 08:32 PM.
lockedoutlogic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #98
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
We are DVC so we always stay on site-- Once I traveled with a friend and family to do Richard Petty experience, and stayed with them off site. After Racing, we wanted to go to MK. Drove to the parking lot, waited for 3 trams to get to TTC, waited in line for the ferry boat through 3 or 4 boat loads, and still couldn't board. Finally we gave up and left. This was early May last year. I'll take the Disney transport.
We typically take disney transport, I'm not the type that likes to drive my car on vacation. Once its parked, its parked.

However, last year my wife and I stayed at All Star Sports, on day 3 of our week vacation and spending over 30 minutes waiting on a bus to leave our resort every single time we went somewhere, we gave up and just drove the rest of the week.

We had no problems with trams, boats, or monorails on that trip, but have on previous ones.
ChipnDale79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #99
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by singastory
Morning EMH mean nothing to me in my mid-20s with no kids, but I would be DEVASTATED if they got rid of evening EMH, especially in high season. I love being able to stay until 2 am when it's cooler and doing the big ticket rides. I'm glad Sep. calendar still has them listed.
Opposite end of the spectrum as I have 2 little ones. We have always done late night EMH & never, ever hit an am one. We are just NOT morning people. We also love the late close & cooler temps in the evening. I would probably move offsite if evening EMH went away. It is the only perk that is actually a perk for us. Glad to see it won't be September at least. I don't understand early EMH & would rather those go away then late ones. We do not ride Disney buses & rarely eat Disney food. That said, we are very frequent visitors who stay onsite for late EMH. To each their own, but I don't find ME, buses, dining, or package shipment a perk at all.

Last edited by dsneprincess; 03-03-2013 at 07:58 PM.
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #100
luvgoing2disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We typically take disney transport, I'm not the type that likes to drive my car on vacation. Once its parked, its parked.

However, last year my wife and I stayed at All Star Sports, on day 3 of our week vacation and spending over 30 minutes waiting on a bus to leave our resort every single time we went somewhere, we gave up and just drove the rest of the week.

We had no problems with trams, boats, or monorails on that trip, but have on previous ones.
I guess we are very lucky. We always stay at Sports and have never had a single time of a 30 minute wait for a bus and this has been at many times of the year including Christmas week. I asked my DW just in case my memory was faulty and she could not remember one either

1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, Disneyland 2005, 2006, October 2007, May 2008, Christmas 2009, Disneyland 2011, April 2012, May 2013, September 2013, Disneyland April 2014
luvgoing2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #101
glamdring269
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsneprincess View Post
I don't understand early EMH & would rather those go away then late ones. We do not ride Disney buses & rarely eat Disney food. That said, we are very frequent visitors who stay onsite for late EMH.
Not sure what you mean by "I don't understand early EMH"? They are the best, assuming you can get moving early enough to take advantage of them. No one is in the park. It's like having an exclusive rope drop and an hour head start on everyone who did not or could not be there. We basically never wait in line more than 5-10 minutes on any trip by taking advantage of that day's EMH and then hopping to another park or back to the resort around lunch time.

I've tried late EMH. It's neat to be in the park later at night but to be honest I've never found late EMH to be nearly as efficient as the early EMH.
glamdring269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #102
beer dave

Quote:

yeah-- it's hit and miss-- My experience driving into the parks is limited to my post above. I could see that other parks would be much easier than MK to drive and park, probably quicker than waiting for a bus, however the bus system seems to be improving with the supposed new guidance. We try to stay where we don't have to use the bus system as much. Monorail, boats and walking are much more appealing to us.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #103
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdring269

Not sure what you mean by "I don't understand early EMH"? They are the best, assuming you can get moving early enough to take advantage of them. No one is in the park. It's like having an exclusive rope drop and an hour head start on everyone who did not or could not be there. We basically never wait in line more than 5-10 minutes on any trip by taking advantage of that day's EMH and then hopping to another park or back to the resort around lunch time.

I've tried late EMH. It's neat to be in the park later at night but to be honest I've never found late EMH to be nearly as efficient as the early EMH.
I don't see where it is any different if the park opens at 8am or 9am. There are still few lines & waiting. However, if you don't make EMH in the morning & go to the wrong park at 10am, you are bottled up. I have never thought EMH at night not to be efficient, however, I am taking my kids on Pooh & Peter Pan after they've cleared out for the day. No one, except me, rides the "big" rides, so I guess maybe that is why. I have gone at rope drop to ride ToT & RNRC, but I don't need an EMH am to do that. I guess we are just odd......
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #104
DisneyCowgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsneprincess View Post
Opposite end of the spectrum as I have 2 little ones. We have always done late night EMH & never, ever hit an am one. We are just NOT morning people. We also love the late close & cooler temps in the evening. I would probably move offsite if evening EMH went away. It is the only perk that is actually a perk for us. Glad to see it won't be September at least. I don't understand early EMH & would rather those go away then late ones. We do not ride Disney buses & rarely eat Disney food. That said, we are very frequent visitors who stay onsite for late EMH. To each their own, but I don't find ME, buses, dining, or package shipment a perk at all.
We don't do morning EMH either--just can't enjoy the day or the vacation if everyone has to be up and going that early. BUT, we do like how it drives people to a particular park so we can go to another one that is then less crowded.
DisneyCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #105
ctl
Mouseketeer

I stay on Disney for EMH

We always rent our own car and stay on WDW so we can use the early morning EMH. I don't like the evening EMH as much as we are usually tired and rather would go back to the room and sleep. I love the park being quiet during EM mornings and I always get up and take my DS,DD and DH to EMH. If EMH goes away then there is little benfit to me to staying on WDW. I would rather have a larger room or rooms offsite. I hope they don't go away.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: