Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
TheDisDork
Welcome Home

Lifeguarding/Short Term Advice

Okay, CP-ers past and present, can you help a brother out really fast?

Hopefully without giving away too much, I work in television. In the way that implies no haughtiness whatsoever, I know I'm doing alright financially. WDW is more or less my home away from home-- I go around 5-6 times a year when I can. SO-- I have off for 2 months in between seasons of the show I'm signed to. I was very careful saving my pennies for something-- not knowing what-- to enjoy during that off-time.

Long story short, my family has enough spare DVC and other timeshare points around the resort that I can take a 2 WEEK (WHAT?!) solo trip to just relax and eat myself to death all day. Since it was 2 months, however, I talked to some folks in Casting, sent in my application, WBI, etc, and have been asked down to interview to work as lifeguard during that time. I've been a lifeguard for fun since I was old enough to work, and managed the largest privately-owned pool in NJ for a while to boot. Certifications are all still good, and it would be great to work with people my own age (I'm a little young compared to others with my job-- I got very lucky-- but it would be fantastic to work with my generation again).

MY QUESTION: Would you-- and honestly-- think it would be better for me to take the 2 week solo vacation or a 2 month job? Should I work, I have no issues with using an extended stay hotel or sublet, I know the pay rate and I know the expenses (I've had this as my off-time Plan B for a long time). I think it would be great to be a CM while I have a chance, but I won't shout "You ruined my dream job and THE MAGIC!" if there's a chance this could prove too crazy a process for me or the company. I don't want to write a novel, but if you have an opinion for someone who would really appreciate it, or even want to ask a question before casting a vote, I'll love you forever lol Thanks so much for even taking the time to read this though!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
leeg229
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisDork View Post
Okay, CP-ers past and present, can you help a brother out really fast?

Hopefully without giving away too much, I work in television. In the way that implies no haughtiness whatsoever, I know I'm doing alright financially. WDW is more or less my home away from home-- I go around 5-6 times a year when I can. SO-- I have off for 2 months in between seasons of the show I'm signed to. I was very careful saving my pennies for something-- not knowing what-- to enjoy during that off-time.

Long story short, my family has enough spare DVC and other timeshare points around the resort that I can take a 2 WEEK (WHAT?!) solo trip to just relax and eat myself to death all day. Since it was 2 months, however, I talked to some folks in Casting, sent in my application, WBI, etc, and have been asked down to interview to work as lifeguard during that time. I've been a lifeguard for fun since I was old enough to work, and managed the largest privately-owned pool in NJ for a while to boot. Certifications are all still good, and it would be great to work with people my own age (I'm a little young compared to others with my job-- I got very lucky-- but it would be fantastic to work with my generation again).

MY QUESTION: Would you-- and honestly-- think it would be better for me to take the 2 week solo vacation or a 2 month job? Should I work, I have no issues with using an extended stay hotel or sublet, I know the pay rate and I know the expenses (I've had this as my off-time Plan B for a long time). I think it would be great to be a CM while I have a chance, but I won't shout "You ruined my dream job and THE MAGIC!" if there's a chance this could prove too crazy a process for me or the company. I don't want to write a novel, but if you have an opinion for someone who would really appreciate it, or even want to ask a question before casting a vote, I'll love you forever lol Thanks so much for even taking the time to read this though!
Honestly, I'd take the lifeguarding job as a seasonal cast member. If you have time during the year drop by for a week or two and complete the 150 hours necessary and then you can go to Disney whenever you want with merch discounts and 50% off hotel stays.

Now the REAL reason I'm responding.... There is no such thing as Central NJ. It's either North or South. Gotta choose one or the other
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
TheDisDork
Welcome Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeg229 View Post
Now the REAL reason I'm responding.... There is no such thing as Central NJ. It's either North or South. Gotta choose one or the other
Thanks so much! I wasn't sure if just doing the 150 hours would result in some sort of tension. The position is listed as full time, is it possible to ask about changing into a seasonal position during the interview.

And as to Central NJ, it's a magical land. Sometimes you even catch a unicorn running around in the backyard eating up the garden. Others say that's just a groundhog, but they likely watched Jersey Shore and think that that's real, so what do they know? BEHOLD THE WONDERS OF UNION COUNTY
Old 02-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisDork View Post
Thanks so much! I wasn't sure if just doing the 150 hours would result in some sort of tension. The position is listed as full time, is it possible to ask about changing into a seasonal position during the interview.
2 questions -

1) Have you been interviewed and offered the job? Or are they waiting to interview until you arrive in person?

If you're waiting for the interview then your time will actually be longer than 2 months. To be fully trained as a new CM requires a minimum of 2 months from the start of Traditions. But if you have to interview first, then go through your background check, then wait for an opening in Traditions... you could be looking more at 3 months.

2) If you are being interviewed for a FT job, you can request CT (seasonal) but if they're not hiring CTs then they won't hire you as one. Lifeguards are one of the few rare roles that may hire CTs, but you'll find the majority of roles hire in new CMs at CP, CR (part-time) or FT.

You can always come in FT and after 2 months request through your local management and scheduling team to be dropped to CT. They will consider your record, the scheduling need, and whether or not they like you. Your Leaders can choose to deny a CT drop meaning you'll have to terminate your employment.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: