Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
GoofyLo
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

How do you all plan 4 months ahead? Its drivin me nuts!

I have to say - I really miss the days of planning when we were going to Disney ahead of time and then just going. I didn't have to decide 4-6 months ahead of time where we were going to eat. We made a list of our "must dos" and "would like to dos". After getting tonDisney we would check in and sit down with a times guide and map of the next day's chosen park. I would use a sharpie to write times on the map, circle the spots we wanted to hit, and decide where and about when we wanted to have dinner. I'd call and make reservations. Most of the time we would get our first choice, but occasionally would get our second. We go to the parks every other day and would sit down and do this each night before a park. I guess those days are long gone...
How do you plan 4 months ahead of time and don't feel like your life revolves around a dinner reservation after you get there? I'm traveling with a 4 yr old and 10 month old. We have naps to take into consideration here.
GoofyLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyLo
I have to say - I really miss the days of planning when we were going to Disney ahead of time and then just going. I didn't have to decide 4-6 months ahead of time where we were going to eat. We made a list of our "must dos" and "would like to dos". After getting tonDisney we would check in and sit down with a times guide and map of the next day's chosen park. I would use a sharpie to write times on the map, circle the spots we wanted to hit, and decide where and about when we wanted to have dinner. I'd call and make reservations. Most of the time we would get our first choice, but occasionally would get our second. We go to the parks every other day and would sit down and do this each night before a park. I guess those days are long gone...
How do you plan 4 months ahead of time and don't feel like your life revolves around a dinner reservation after you get there? I'm traveling with a 4 yr old and 10 month old. We have naps to take into consideration here.
I actually plan for 180 days out, that is when you can make ADRs. I look at the park schedule and Touring Plans and/or easywdw.com to plan park days first, then I pick what restaurants we would like to go to. We are RD people since the kids are up early anyway, so we either do TS for pre park opening or dinner.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
bennifer
Mouseketeer

We make ADRs at 180 days and buy park hoppers. It's perfect for the young children because the monorail or the buses are a "ride" for them! It's also good for teens because they generally like to eat at different places if they can make a decision or two.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
goherdibg
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses1230 View Post
I actually plan for 180 days out, that is when you can make ADRs. I look at the park schedule and Touring Plans and/or easywdw.com to plan park days first, then I pick what restaurants we would like to go to. We are RD people since the kids are up early anyway, so we either do TS for pre park opening or dinner.
This is exactly what we do and it really irks me. During our last trip in Dec 2011, I had everything planned out using published park hours and park recommendations using a combination of easywdw, TGM, and Touring Plans. Everything was pretty much set at the 180 day mark. Then it started happening....

Park hours changed.....
Park recommendations changed.....
MVMCP dates came out......

In some cases I had an ADR in a park with short hours or in a park that was "to be avoided in the evening".

While it didn't ruin our trip by any means, it did frustrate me when my plans went awry.
goherdibg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
DEA
DIS Veteran

Well... our plans do tend to revolve around meals. Our first night has become a Chef Mickey's dinner (somewhat to my chagrin, but, hey, the kids love it), and then MK for some fireworks after dinner. Our first full day starts with a Princess Storybook Breakfast at Akershus, by tradition, and the day continues at Epcot. We work in the other parks to get a good mix of activities, and work out the meals based on the plan for park visits. We also have many dinners outside of the parks, so they are somewhat divorced from our park touring plans, although dinner at, say, Flying Fish, usually works better on an Epcot or DHS day. It's worked pretty well for us. We have made some changes, cancelled ADRs, and even managed to add some at the last minute. So, your method could work, certainly. It's just those specific restaurant/specific time combinations that I like to have pinned down pretty far in advance.

The other side of this was arriving, on our first trip, and trying to get a sit-down dinner in MK without an ADR. Not a fun way to start, and although CS options abound, they seemed, at the time, to be less magical. It's less stressful to me when I know that we can have the dining experiences we want when we want them. Less stressed dad=happier vacation.

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA View Post
Well... our plans do tend to revolve around meals.
Yep.
I assuming here, but I would think with small kids, they are on some type of eating schedule, yes?
So, work around that. Of course, there are CS restaurants available. You can opt to eat at one of those on a day(s) when you just don;t feel like being married to a ressie.
ANd depending on time of year and size of your dining party, you may be able to get a ressie the night before at a resort restaurant such as Kona, the Wave or GF Cafe.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

We are planning for our trip in Dec 2013. Ten months out. We know what days and were we want to eat. We have a great TA but can't say on the forum who it is.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
hooch11bear
Mouseketeer

That's part of the fun for us. We love looking at all of the menus and picking where we would like to eat. The first thing I would suggest is to figure out when you would be leaving the parks for naps and plan your dining times around that. You would also want to pick the restaurants according to where you will be visiting that day. So if you are at MK for the day, plan on eating in the park or at a monorail resort close by. You don't want to spend a lot of time traveling between parks to eat unless you have Hoppers and plan on spending the evening in a different location. You can check out the menus on Allears.net. They update them pretty often on there too. Hopefully the planning isn't too stressful for you.
hooch11bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Well... our plans do tend to revolve around meals.
We do the reverse. I wouldn't go to DHS on a crowd level "10" day, just because that is the only day that I could get an ADR at 50's Prime Time. We use park hours and crowd prediction sites to make a rough guess as to what park we will go to each day, and then make ADRs 180 days out to fit that plan. If park hours change and crowd predictions change so much that we feel the need to adjust, then we try to make new ADRs if need be. We also always build in at least one non-park day during our trip to relax, hit the pool, resort hop, etc. If there are any restaurants that we feel we absolutely must go to, we schedule them for our arrival day and non-park day(s) as those never change. With this strategy, I can't think of a single trip where we got shut out of a "must do" reservation.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
jhryb
DIS Veteran

I find it exciting to have everything pre-planned and to talk about the plans as a family. This gives us so much pleasure. I try to incorporate the suggestions from my DH and Kids. I do agree that it is frustrating when park hours change but everything seems to work out.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

4 months?

Not sure where the four month timeframe came from.

To answer the question though, some of us plan further ahead than that. Some of us only plan a few days in advance, or not at all.

How people do that is simple. They sit down with a calendar and some knowledge of the time they spend in the parks. Decide which day(s) to hit each park and then make ADR's (and in the future FastPass+) at places in the parks.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
derricksonb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Well... our plans do tend to revolve around meals. Our first night has become a Chef Mickey's dinner (somewhat to my chagrin, but, hey, the kids love it)...
Like DEA our family has their traditional first night meal, which in our case we always book Cape May for Sunday dinner. I'm usually the one in our family who plans the vacations to WDW, which because of my attention to detail, overwhelming necessity to schedule the maximum time possible in the parks and borderline obsessive-compulsive need maximize value on the cost of the DDP usually means I do most of the planning on my own.... LOL!!!

Like the others I plan ADRs 180 days out. Since we usually go to WDW for 5 nights (Sun-Thu) we try to have 6-7 options in case our first choice restaurants are not available. We usually know the park schedules (EMH's generally don't change too much from year to year) and on what days we plan to be in each park or taking a non-park day (usually Tue and Thur- with a special event like MNSSHP or MVMCP scheduled that evening) so we try to schedule our TS dining options around those variables.

For our next trip DW and the kids have decided to avoid the parks altogether and use the Water Parks & More Options on our non-expiring Park Hoppers so all of our dining options will be at the resorts and DTD which narrows our options down considerably. This still has not stopped me from creating a MS Excel spreadsheet listing the best value meals/restaurants for CS, 1-TS and snacks and a MS Project schedule of our vacation....... with dependencies.
derricksonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

I really don't see how planning 4 months in advance is any different than planning a day in advance (other than actually getting reservations in advance). I have enough knowledge of our habits that I can reasonably expect to make it to a 6pm ADR.

I can reasonably expect DS to be ready for his nap around noon. If we're out and about, he'll probably hold out a little longer, so I imagine he'll easily go down for a nap around 1pm. He tends to sleep 2-3 hours, so it will be around 4 when he wakes up, which will give us plenty of time to get to a park.

If he doesn't sleep, or falls asleep in his stroller earlier, then we'll adjust. DH is the one that insists on a daily break anyways, so we'll still go back, and we can alternate resting and taking care of DS.

I can still make adjustments as necessary during my trip. So if DS gets super cranky at 7pm every night early in the trip, I'll know to cancel the 9pm Be Our Guest ADR towards the end at least by the night before.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

If you don't enjoy a lot of pre-planning and it stresses you out, then you don't have to do it and you will still have a very enjoyable vacation. OP, you can still take your old approach and "wing it" and have an idea of what you really want to see and make decisions the day of and everything else, including your dining. With the exception of a few of the really hard to get ADRs (i.e. BOG, Cellier), you'll be able to get a reservation same day for your dinners, if you want to do a TS.

Personally, I really enjoy all the planning and figuring out itineraries and where/what I think is best for each day. It's what helps me get through the waiting period until my next vacation. That being said, I also have no issue what so ever in dropping my plan once I'm actually on vacation and if that ADR I made 6 months ago is no longer appealing to me that day, I just cancel and/or change it. The only caveat is the ADRs requiring either pre-payment or CC guarantee, those ones I know I have to finalize a day or two before. But honestly, even if I did miss a CC guarantee meal because we changed our mind last minute, the $10pp charge is a risk I'm okay with taking.
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #15
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

LOL, I don't know how anyone could wait until they get there to make plans, I would be an absolute nervous wreck I like knowing everything is set long before we ever get on the plane. If I had to be making these decisions and arrangements once I was there, I would feel like I was wasting valuable vacation time.

In some ways, I guess you could say our day revolves around ADRs (we do the DxDDP, w/ 2-3 TS each day), but it's more like our ADRs revolve around our park plans. I design our touring plans so that we always end up at the place we have an ADR at about the right time anyway, without going out of our way much if any.

We eat at pretty predictable times at home, and I schedule our ADRs for those same times. So after a few hours of hard touring in the parks, and about the time we are getting hungry anyway, we look up and realize, "Oh, here we are at Crystal Palace, and our ADR is in 10 minutes." It may not always be THAT perfect, but that's what I go for anyway. And more often than not, it works out just fine. it takes the stress away knowing that everything is already taken care of.

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here! June 2008 - Poly | June 2010 - CBR | Mar 2012 - ASMo | Apr 2013 - YC | Mar 2014 - AKL & AoA | Oct 2014 - POR | Dec 2014 - WL | May 2015 - FW?? | Nov 2015 - Pop??
gtpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: