Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
bahacca
Mouseketeer

Debarking and food in customs

We are catching a flight right after we debark, so my kids will need snacks and such for the plane. Can I bring snacks with us that are sealed, keep them on board and then take them off the ship, or will they make us toss them? What about opened snacks? I'm assuming we'd have to toss those, but just need clarification on if I should pack snacks for both to and from Miami or plan on buying snacks for the flight at the airport.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
BoosGram
Better than a candygram....I tink, therefore I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
We are catching a flight right after we debark, so my kids will need snacks and such for the plane. Can I bring snacks with us that are sealed, keep them on board and then take them off the ship, or will they make us toss them? What about opened snacks? I'm assuming we'd have to toss those, but just need clarification on if I should pack snacks for both to and from Miami or plan on buying snacks for the flight at the airport.
I know you cannot take any kind of fresh produce (think bananas or oranges), plants/plant material (don't buy that lovely bonsai; you will have to toss it), or meats off the ship, but I do believe that foods in sealed packages are fine. We have disembarked w/sealed pretzels, cookies, chips w/no issues at all. I'm not sure about opened packages, though. Maybe another DISser will have that info.

Be aware that there are substantial penalties for non-compliance; I think I heard $250 for a banana.

BoosGram is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
neg58
DIS Veteran

Seems like a lot of hassle to me to tote the snacks all the way from home, store them for the length of the cruise, worry about whether customs is going to take them away, just to save a few dollars.

You're on vacation! Buy new snacks at the airport.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

We take snacks on all cruises with us and have never had any issues disembarking with them. Honestly, unless you are selected for a search they will not know. Even then definitely play it safe and stick to sealed products and steer clear of fruits/veggies & meat products.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

You can have snacks as long as it's not meat (like beef jerky), plants, veggies, or fruit.

I answered honestly when the cruise customs guy stopped me....and I told him I had cheerios/cereal boxes with me for the baby. He didn't bat an eyelash
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
bahacca
Mouseketeer

Thanks! I am packing stuff for the trip to Miami, so if there is room, I'll toss in extra. If it gets eaten during the trip, fine. If not, one less thing to do before we board the flight.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: