Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #76
scrapycruiser
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Totally agreed. I checked out NCL prices for the Greek Islands for 2014 and was shocked at how reasonable the prices are. We might do a DCL transatlantic and combine it w/a cruise from another line.

Regarding last minute fares--- We grabbed an IGT fare to Alaska last summer and it was a great deal...much cheaper than if we had booked it on day 1 of price release the year before; and comparable to what we would have paid w/Holland America for 3 of us.
Funny you mentioning NCL's Greek cruise! We just booked a 2014 Greek cruise, verandah cabin for 2, 7 nights embarking from Venice for $2550 on the NCL Jade. We've been on 2 DCL Med cruises and 2 Baltic cruises.This time ,going to Eurpoe, i just want a bed and meals. We're platinum but tired of Disneys prices and attitude ! We've been cruising sense 1976.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #77
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCowboy View Post
I think DCL had a change in marketing philosphy over the past few years. I think that the DCL marketing mindset now believes that they do not have to do any special for the cruiser who has sailed 10+ times on DCL. They figure that most of those folks are going to sail on DCL over other lines no matter what is offered, so why not focus our marketing energy and $$ on attracting new customers.

I also miss the extra OBC ($350 vs $200) for 7 day cruises and the behind the scenes tours, but the changes have not kept me from sailing on DCL.

I think that the entire Castaway Club program could use a good makeover.
I think what got DCL into this pickle was their change in marketing a couple of years ago when they developed the different levels. Maybe they panicked and thought they needed to do it with two new large ships coming up that had to be filled. They may have analyzed how many people they had and where to split them to have X% be platinum and X% be gold but they weren't forward thinking enough that in a couple of years these %'s would be way more than they allowed for. Or maybe they have seen how the ships are filling and as you said, decided that the extra club perks weren't needed or the best value for their marketing money. It's their recent changes that have been the about face. They built the club and now don't have a graceful way to back off. I'm hoping they were cutting the benefits on the existing levels to build a new top level that will have some value. I'm hoping it's so tough to reach that even we, with 30 cruises, can't make it in or barely make it in when it's first opened. That would mean it would be exclusive for quite some time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
me, i'll stay with dcl and love every minute. with or without perks.
now this is just imo and I know its not the popular one but i'm just sayin.....some of us are happy without the 'things'.
I don't know how many DCL cruises you have been on but I'm glad you are enthusiastic and positive about your cruising experiences and will remain enthusiastic after doing the same activities any number of times. It's not that we need the perks and "things" and I'm sure most people are like us and are not making their decisions solely on what we're going to get as a gift. We sailed many times before the introduction of CC levels and got whatever random gift they left in our cabin and were, quite honestly, very happy about it every time -- even if it was a bag we already had 6 of.

And just because we are discussing that we would like some of the promised perks doesn't make us "unhappy" as you imply. What has made us disappointed was the program DCL themselves set up then took away without notice. They established the rules of the game. If you booked a cruise because part of the marketing was that they offered 3 broadway-type stage shows on every cruise and when you showed up, the theater was closed for the whole cruise, wouldn't you feel like you weren't given the full experience you paid for? Well, when I booked the 4 cruises I took last year and the 6 I'm scheduled for this year, all those platinum perks/experiences were part of the deal.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #78
slg
DIS Veteran

Very well said Clten. I love DCL and all things disney, but also like to feel appreciated (just like I love my DH but also like to feel appreciated by him too).

It does get rather old when you have only same shows to look forward to and honestly, the behind the scenes tour was something my DH was REALLY looking forward to being that he works in Theatre. These little extras do add up and most companies know that loyalty programs work.

Yes, most people will keep cruising DCL, but some won't. And why lose your best, most supportive people over a few dollars? Its not good marketing sense. Every time I rave about Disney, that does more for someone booking a cruise than an add in the paper. And believe me, I rave about DCL. Would I like to get thanked for being loyal? Yes, I most certainly would. Do I feel entitled? No, I don't.

This is just a conversation. And its great to get everyone's feedback. If enough of us feel the same way and express our feelings, perhaps DCL will listen.

They make mistakes and change the way they do things all the time. If the program isn't working, they will change it.
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999
DL-1989,1990,1994,1997,2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2013
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #79
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The disappointment is more about what DCL offered at one time then took away as an option. The OBC decrease had the largest impact for those who were already receiving the higher amount. We are going on our last cruise that is grandfathered as a gold and will have the $275 OBC. Was looking forward to the $350 on the next one and knowing it will only be $200 is a bit of a disappointment.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #80
anna08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slg
Oh a free upgrade would be SUPER NICE for DIAMOND cruisers. I bet that people would book higher than usual just get a really great upgrade.

I wish I worked for DCL. I could give them quite a few suggestions...

So listen up DCL, make us feel special. It doesn't have to cost a lot.
I agree! We've never gotten an upgrade, and are in the camp that dedicates a very substantial amount of money to Disney yearly in many different arenas. I won't even begin to say how much was dropped on my birthday celebration four years ago. I'm really surprised they don't have some better way of acknowledging their best customers. When compared to other resorts that we've been loyal customers, Disney is far behind. Mostly it is the personal interaction with the staff at these other vacation spots that makes us feel special. Even FedEx has little personal notes about your address so every driver knows something about you (or your dogs) before they walk to your door.

It does make a difference - we have gone down to one dummy booking and are now planning a ski trip instead of a cruise at the holidays. I would think now that they have four ships to fill, they would be having the OPPOSITE approach and be offering greater incentives to their loyal base.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #81
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

I really don't care about the stateroom gifts, but a discount on Internet service would be nice! Or a discount for laundry/cleaning. Celebrity gives their returning passengers a little coupon book with discounts in it. Very useful.

And once DCL started giving the gifts, it isn't nice to pull the rug out from under their most loyal passengers. Just sayin.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #82
slg
DIS Veteran

Honestly, they could skip the majority of the stateroom gift. I think they should know if you've already received a gift and not give you another of the same one! How many leather diaries do I need anyhow? I give them away to my friends. And the metal beverage containers were given as Christmas Gifts. I'd rather they have a one year gift, a two year gift...etc. Or if you are gold you no longer get the silver gift, but just an entirely different gold gift..etc. The money wasted could be better used for more useful and appreciated incentives.

Like I said, its the appreciation that counts. For a company that prides itself on outstanding service, they are severely lacking in this area.

(And I'll even go to say they could do more with repeat park visitors as well.)
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999
DL-1989,1990,1994,1997,2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2013
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #83
WDBRDWLK
Nana to Princesses Maya and Orion and Prince Joel.

Wouldn't it be nice if disney gave an onboard credit to those of us who have received the same stateroom gift year after year...or mabe a list of items to choose from
Old 03-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #84
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post

. . . Celebrity gives their returning passengers a little coupon book with discounts in it. Very useful.
I agree. Plus, Celebrity has some nice perks for its "Captain's Club" Elite guests.

We are Captain's Club Elite and Castaway Club Platinum. Elite and Platinum are both reached after 10 cruises.

Elite includes some nice benefits, including:
  • Captain's Club Celebration Event.
  • Free pressing of two garments.
  • Free bag of laundry service.
  • Free dry cleaning of 1 garment.
  • Free 90-minute internet package.
  • Daily access to Captain's Club Lounge (specialty coffees in the morning, and an evening social hour with free drinks).
  • Invitation to a Senior Officer's Cocktail Party.
  • Invitation to Elegant Tea Service.
My DW and I each receive the benefits, so, for example, we get two free bags of laundry service and two free 90-minute internet packages. Nice.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: