Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #61
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,418

They held the 2008 EBPC CC reception on deck 9 also. Closed down the Goofy pool and had chairs on the cover that afternoon. The Fantasy MV was rediculous. There were many platinums who couldn't get reservations they wanted to Palo/Remy and excursions at midnight on day 120. Anyone who was gold or silver didn't even bother trying.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013



DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #62
StephenKay
DVC Member VWL 2001
 
StephenKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,392

Question Do they Care?

Hi there,

We have just reached Platinum and haven't yet experienced a cruise since Christmas however we are 5000 miles and 2 or 3 days travelling away. We have completed some 79 days on board with only one 3 day cruise and to be honest I dont really think that the CC is no longer fit for purpose. The large ships seem to have changed our experience of DCL and many of the gifts or perks never really see the light of day when we get home. It would be nice if the could do something to make you feel at least they value there business as I am sure like many on here we have spent 10's of thousands of Disney dollars with them in the last 15 years of WDW,DCL,DVC.

That said we have some 21 days booked for this year and 26 for next year, blame my wife!!!! she is an Disney addict. Maybe they could offer a Grumpy cruise for a us "suffering" non Dis addit husbands with a few perks.
__________________
Stevie Kay Inverness, United Kingdom

Last edited by StephenKay; 02-20-2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: I forgot a cruise, we are doing 21 days and not 14 this year
StephenKay is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #63
clten
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,773

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
I just can't get excited about a 'free tour' when I have an entire listing of things to do.
Yes, well, we've been sailing w/ DCL since the beginning and have completed 30 cruises with them. Most of that entire listing of things to do have remained relatively unchanged since the early days so it is kinda hard to get excited about some of that long list of activities. (And the ones that are sales pitches from the Spa, Shutters, and DVC I don't really count as activities.) So the opportunity to do something new was one of the best perks I thought they had added. It may not seem like much but when all the cruise activities run together, having one special activity can really differentiate a cruise. Like on one of the TransAtlantic cruises on the Magic we did a in depth "galley tour" that included the below deck storage areas and a really descriptive tour by the manager/officer who orders supplies. Really set that cruise apart. And really all it cost them was the time of that officer (I'm sure he enjoyed a break from the routine too), the recipe booklets they put together for each of us and the champagne and rice krispie treats that I don't think anyone would have missed if they weren't there.

So to each his own. We do have 6 cruises booked for 2013 and 3 for 2014. Not as confident as we had been in years past that we will actually sail all these booked cruises. Starting last year we have been much more seriously considering slowing down on the DCL cruising and picking up more cruises on another line just for new experiences. The fact that this corresponds with the elimination of these platinum tours is not a coincidence for us.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #64
tinkerone
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
Yes, well, we've been sailing w/ DCL since the beginning and have completed 30 cruises with them. Most of that entire listing of things to do have remained relatively unchanged since the early days so it is kinda hard to get excited about some of that long list of activities. (And the ones that are sales pitches from the Spa, Shutters, and DVC I don't really count as activities.) So the opportunity to do something new was one of the best perks I thought they had added. It may not seem like much but when all the cruise activities run together, having one special activity can really differentiate a cruise. Like on one of the TransAtlantic cruises on the Magic we did a in depth "galley tour" that included the below deck storage areas and a really descriptive tour by the manager/officer who orders supplies. Really set that cruise apart. And really all it cost them was the time of that officer (I'm sure he enjoyed a break from the routine too), the recipe booklets they put together for each of us and the champagne and rice krispie treats that I don't think anyone would have missed if they weren't there.

So to each his own. We do have 6 cruises booked for 2013 and 3 for 2014. Not as confident as we had been in years past that we will actually sail all these booked cruises. Starting last year we have been much more seriously considering slowing down on the DCL cruising and picking up more cruises on another line just for new experiences. The fact that this corresponds with the elimination of these platinum tours is not a coincidence for us.
I guess its what you make of it. if the listings no longer excite someone then maybe it is time to move on. if the same ole, same ole just doesn't do it look else where. there's lots of cruise lines out there and plenty of great ships so if the perks are what keeps people, well, see what the others are offering.
me, i'll stay with dcl and love every minute. with or without perks.
now this is just imo and I know its not the popular one but i'm just sayin.....some of us are happy without the 'things'.
hope Disney listens to you all and you get the response you would like.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #65
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,315

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post

I've been on the Hawaii cruise where nearly half the passengers were platinum cruisers. They had to hold the gold/platinum reception on the pool deck. . .
I've also been to a Castaway Club reception held on the pool deck. It didn't seem very special, since anyone could attend.

I like the way HAL, Princess and RCI handle their receptions. They continue to recognize guest loyalty, even when the numbers grow.

On HAL and RCI, if the group is too large for one reception, they'll have multiple receptions. On HAL, they had a nice champagne brunch in a main dining room, and guests received an invitation to one of two dates. HAL also had a cocktail reception with the Captain in a large lounge. Again, they had two dates.

Similarly, on RCI, we received an invitation to attend one of two Captain's receptions with served drinks.

Recently on Princess, there were so many repeat guests, the welcome back reception was held in the main theatre. Bar service would have been a real challenge with so many people. So the ushers gave out certificates for free drinks that were good at any time at any venue on board.

It's too bad DCL doesn't make the same effort to properly recognize it's loyal guests.

Woody

Last edited by woody73; 02-20-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #66
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,277

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenKay View Post
Maybe they could offer a Grumpy cruise for a us "suffering" non Dis addit husbands with a few perks.
My husband isn't grumpy about my Disney addiction but with all our WDW/DLR Aps, DVC and DCL, he'd join you on that grumpy cruise to lament about our financial sponsoring of the Disney Enterprise
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #67
BethC1952
DIS Veteran
Has been VERY patient and VERY helpful!
 
BethC1952's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Deal, NJ
Posts: 4,205

As I've posted before, I'm a Platinum cruiser with 15 DCL cruises, with 81 nights at sea, and one more 7 night cruise booked for September 2 (Alaska). I haven't decided about future cruises yet, but will have thought about it before we board the ship in Vancouver so that we can rebook onboard if that's what we decide to do.

We were originally booked on the TA sailing this May on Magic, but had to cancel due to a work commitment. Instead, we're branching out a bit and sailing on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas, also a TA, leaving April 21. This cruise has more port stops and ends in Southampton, which is good because we had planned to spend some time in London anyway!

I am very interested in seeing how this cruise compares to our previous cruises. While I love my Disney cruises, I'm planning to have an absolutely wonderful vacation. I plan to enjoy everything the ship has to offer, including some ports that I haven't seen yet. I'll be looking for a "value for my $$$" comparison, not a "minute by minute" comparison. I won't be saying "If only I were on DLC...", because it was my choice not to be there.

One of the things I will be considering in choosing my next few cruise vacations will be how repeat cruisers are rewarded. There are lots of other considerations too, including itineraries, service, food, entertainment. We're an older couple, and couldn't care less about not having the Disney characters on board. We've seen all the shows DCL offers, except the "signature" show on Fantasy since we haven't sailed on her yet, and are looking forward to some different types of entertainment. We do enjoy the Disney quality and attention to detail, which is why we've cruised so often.

I plan on posting a trip report somewhere once I get back. It will contain information about our impressions of the comparison between the two lines. I'm hoping I can be objective about the whole thing!

Beth
__________________
BethC1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #68
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,277

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethC1952 View Post
As I've posted before, I'm a Platinum cruiser with 15 DCL cruises, with 81 nights at sea, and one more 7 night cruise booked for September 2 (Alaska). I haven't decided about future cruises yet, but will have thought about it before we board the ship in Vancouver so that we can rebook onboard if that's what we decide to do.

We were originally booked on the TA sailing this May on Magic, but had to cancel due to a work commitment. Instead, we're branching out a bit and sailing on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas, also a TA, leaving April 21. This cruise has more port stops and ends in Southampton, which is good because we had planned to spend some time in London anyway!

I am very interested in seeing how this cruise compares to our previous cruises. While I love my Disney cruises, I'm planning to have an absolutely wonderful vacation. I plan to enjoy everything the ship has to offer, including some ports that I haven't seen yet. I'll be looking for a "value for my $$$" comparison, not a "minute by minute" comparison. I won't be saying "If only I were on DLC...", because it was my choice not to be there.

One of the things I will be considering in choosing my next few cruise vacations will be how repeat cruisers are rewarded. There are lots of other considerations too, including itineraries, service, food, entertainment. We're an older couple, and couldn't care less about not having the Disney characters on board. We've seen all the shows DCL offers, except the "signature" show on Fantasy since we haven't sailed on her yet, and are looking forward to some different types of entertainment. We do enjoy the Disney quality and attention to detail, which is why we've cruised so often.

I plan on posting a trip report somewhere once I get back. It will contain information about our impressions of the comparison between the two lines. I'm hoping I can be objective about the whole thing!

Beth
Sounds great! Please post a TR with comparisons!
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #69
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas
 
Four Swampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 763

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
i'm the minority here. I think its nice when I walk into my cabin and find anything they leave, anything is a bonus. obc are nice but if they didn't offer them I would still book and not notice. I just can't get excited about a 'free tour' when I have an entire listing of things to do. cocktail party? been to one, don't think it was worth my time to get a free drink and rice krispy treat. never went back, better things to do. don't get me wrong, if I get the discount at the shops, well, bonus. I just don't plan for it cause if its not there, oh well.
i'm not on the ship for freebies, i'm on it for the pure joy! if I get anything extra, thanks mickey!!
I do think all of your points are quite valid. Also, you have a very upbeat and positive attitude, which is awesome.

I personally cruise for the cruise, not for the extras. On the other hand, after having cruised DCL 7 times, I have tried most of the food and seen all of the shows. At that point, DCL has to do something to encourage me to come back. Most important would be new ports. They are falling down there. 2014 sees a rearranging of 2013 med ports: I can do Greece out of Venice. 2014 also sees a few southern carribean cruises that occur when my kids are in school. So with no viable new itineraries for me and the fact that I have had the good fortune to do a lot of the stuff on the ships, I become tempted to try another line.

With a different line, I can see and experience new sights both on and off the ship, and I can do it a lower cost. If DCL can fill their ships without my repeat business, then they certainly don't need to offer me something. If they want me in a room, they have to provide some reason to go back: a new show, some new food choices, new ports, or perhaps a platinum cruising perk beyond fruit in the room and boarding 15 minutes before everyone else.

Again, not boycotting DCL, and I love the Disney cruise experience. I will just probably concentrate my planned vacation dollars elsewhere, and take last minute DCL markdowns if they happen to work with my schedule.
__________________
Wonder 11/19/09 Bahamas // Magic 08/07/10Mediterranean // Wonder 03/27/11 Mexican Riviera
Dream 11/17/11 Bahamas // Fantasy 03/31/12 Maiden Voyage // Wonder 06/11/12 Alaska
Wonder 09/10/12 Vancouver to LA // Magic 06/15/13 Mediterranean // Magic 11/06/13 Key West & CC
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #70
bengals01
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: cincinnati, ohio
Posts: 640

I was disappointed with my 50th disney cruise. The year before a couple had their 50th cruise. and at the reception they had them at a table up front, said their name and got a golden mickey's trophy. I did get a cake brought to my table. It was sent from the dining room manager because I have known her for years when she was a head server.
bengals01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #71
jrabbit
DIS Veteran
 
jrabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,222

We just completed our last cruise and we took the survey (online) that they e-mailed and one of the questions was about the Castaway Club Perks. Almost every answer we gave was very good or excellent, except for the CC Perks which we rated very low.

With only 4 ships to fill and many repeat cruisers, DCL I believe will continue to offer minimal perks for several more year. I HOPE THAT I AM WRONG!

Speaking of the survey - what's up with the question about adding an ATM on board. More fees for DCL to collect and no longer having to carry a lot of cash on board I guess.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #72
IrishCowboy
DIS Veteran

 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 5,230

I think DCL had a change in marketing philosphy over the past few years. I think that the DCL marketing mindset now believes that they do not have to do any special for the cruiser who has sailed 10+ times on DCL. They figure that most of those folks are going to sail on DCL over other lines no matter what is offered, so why not focus our marketing energy and $$ on attracting new customers.

I also miss the extra OBC ($350 vs $200) for 7 day cruises and the behind the scenes tours, but the changes have not kept me from sailing on DCL.

I think that the entire Castaway Club program could use a good makeover.
__________________
Disney Magic 1-20-2014
Disney Fantasy 11-22-2013
Disney Fantasy 10-12-2012
Disney Fantasy 7-21-2012
Disney Magic 11-19-2011 - Back to Back
Disney Magic 11-12-2011
Carnival Dream 7-24-2011
Disney Magic 6-13-2009, Disney Magic 11-22-2008,
Disney Magic 3-17-2007, Disney Magic 7-22-2006,
Disney Magic 9-03-2005, Disney Magic 9-18-2004, Disney Magic 5-15-2004, Disney Magic 5-??-2003,
Disney Wonder 12-19-2002, Disney Magic 5-25-2002, Disney Magic 1-19-2002, Disney Magic 5-12-2001
IrishCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #73
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
We just completed our last cruise and we took the survey (online) that they e-mailed and one of the questions was about the Castaway Club Perks. Almost every answer we gave was very good or excellent, except for the CC Perks which we rated very low.

With only 4 ships to fill and many repeat cruisers, DCL I believe will continue to offer minimal perks for several more year. I HOPE THAT I AM WRONG!

Speaking of the survey - what's up with the question about adding an ATM on board. More fees for DCL to collect and no longer having to carry a lot of cash on board I guess.
I'd like an ATM on board because I'd feel more comfortable using one there than on the streets of any port. I'm a planner and I usually have more than enough money, but I'd be okay with paying a service fee of $3-4 to use an ATM I knew was safe (or at least safer).

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #74
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?
 
collectoraholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Not close enuf to the Magic!
Posts: 1,091

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
ITA with this response! In most cases, the CMs who answer the phone at DCL's 800# have not been on the ship so don't know the reality on the ships.
Yeah, case in point...I called to get a date about booking excursions for the Med, as my parents are Silver and we're Platinum. I wanted them to know when they could book, so I called. The CM I spoke to tried to tell me that if I linked our reservations, my Silver parents would be able to book everything during the Platinum window b/c they're sailing w/ us. Um...no! That's not how it works. Srsly. DCL needs to properly educate their phone CMs. The giving out of misinformation is terrible. Luckily I knew better, but what if I didn't.
__________________
collectoraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #75
castmbr
DIS Veteran
 
castmbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Davenport, FL USA
Posts: 605

I suspect it might be hard to keep an ATM stocked with cash what with the ship being out in the middle of the ocean. It would have to be owned and operated by a bank.
__________________
Castmember Laura
castmbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.