Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
baboo800
Earning My Ears

the only rooms that I have stayed in are the suites and they are beautiful

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
baboo800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #17
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedyk54 View Post
When is all construction scheduled to be completed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Museofire View Post
I was told late may by my wedding planner.
The DVC building is not scheduled to open until the end of the year. They haven't even started selling points or taking reservations yet.

Perhaps they mean the outside construction.
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #18
LuvLDM
DIS Veteran

My last stay at GF was 2 years ago, the room did feel a little dated. By dated I mean the theming felt a bit *late 80's*, I think it's those bedspreads?

The room itself was very clean & well maintained. Service was fantastic, cast members were very polite and attentive. I do find the overall mood at GF to
more formal but that doesn't equal *snobby* to me.

Even though I think it's a lovely resort I likely won't stay there again because it's too expensive. I like the Epcot resort area better & it's cheaper.
LuvLDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #19
CTH3
Mouseketeer

Asking if the Grand Floridian rooms look "dated" is sort of like asking if the Polynesian rooms look "south seas islandy" or the Yacht Club rooms look "nautical."

Late breaking news: the Coronado Springs rooms all look "Mexican."
CTH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #20
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Good responses everyone this is just what I was looking for. We are staying 5 nights at BWI so the Floridian would only be for 2 nights of our trip, just for the experience and convenience to MK.

My concern is the Floridian would never feel like "home" but more like you are sleeping over at an attraction or something. Hard to explain. $623 could be saved of we stay at the swalphin on Starwood points for free instead of the grand, but it feels like a "once in a lifetime" opportunity!
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #21
toodycat
DIS Veteran

We love the GF. The rooms don't look dated. They look old-fashioned which is the intent. However, they are in good repair. The service is excellent. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. The current construction definitely takes away from the total GF experience, but it is still a fabulous resort with a beautiful lobby and a fantastic atmosphere. We were just there in September. The restaurants are great and the grounds are still gorgeous, but you can't miss the construction. The only reason we are not staying GF this summer is that we would need two rooms and a one bedroom villa at BLT will accommodate our family for much less money.
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #22
toodycat
DIS Veteran

BTW, I think bedspreads are dated no matter what resort you choose.
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #23
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodycat View Post
BTW, I think bedspreads are dated no matter what resort you choose.
yes, what IS it with them??? i was thinking today that actually there are no resorts that i have stayed at whose decor i like... ALL because the bedspreads are so hideous! i might like the wallpaper, the lighting, etc... and then BAM, the bedspreads ruin the entire thing!

op, it is only 2 nights of your life and "only" ~$600. take the plunge. you will never, ever know if you should have tried it until you do. nothing ventured, nothing gained.

this is how i feel about BC. i have always wanted to try it, and on our upcoming trip, i am going to hold my breath, close my eyes, and jump in and know that no matter whether i love it or hate it, it's worth trying once in my life. even if i hate it, at least i know, and i can stop "longing" for it going forward. it is my 40th bday trip- my only bday trip in my entire life- so it is high stakes to me, but i just need to know already whether it is awesome or not!

i don't think you will regret trying anything you deem a "once-in-a-lifetime" experience.

and btw, of any concern at all, please do not worry about it feeling like home. to me, it COMPLETELY has that feeling. more so than other resorts do. oddly enough, while it is not my favorite resort, i feel most at home there, by far. if anything, pop felt more like "sleeping at an attraction" than the GF.

bethclayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #24
spodie
Mouseketeer

I heard that they are currently refurbing two rooms, as a trial. It can be seen outside the two rooms, as they have changed the wallpaper and lighting fixtures. It's easy to compare the two styles since the old and new are right next to each other. No one has seen the insides of these new rooms yet, though. I liked the look of what I saw, however - definitely sleeker.

I'm guessing since they're testing out new room styles, a refurb is just around the corner, I'm sure!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #25
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by spodie
I heard that they are currently refurbing two rooms, as a trial. It can be seen outside the two rooms, as they have changed the wallpaper and lighting fixtures. It's easy to compare the two styles since the old and new are right next to each other. No one has seen the insides of these new rooms yet, though. I liked the look of what I saw, however - definitely sleeker.

I'm guessing since they're testing out new room styles, a refurb is just around the corner, I'm sure!
Do you have a link to pictures of the hallway samples? I'd love to see them! Where are the rooms at in the resort? I won't be down for a few months but certainly can try to get a peek and more info at that time.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #26
spodie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreaming View Post
Do you have a link to pictures of the hallway samples? I'd love to see them! Where are the rooms at in the resort? I won't be down for a few months but certainly can try to get a peek and more info at that time.
Unfortunately, I did not snap any pictures...not sure why! Anyway, the section is in the Sago Cay building at the end of a corridor (on the first floor by the exit that is closest to the main building).
Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #27
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post
Good responses everyone this is just what I was looking for. We are staying 5 nights at BWI so the Floridian would only be for 2 nights of our trip, just for the experience and convenience to MK.

My concern is the Floridian would never feel like "home" but more like you are sleeping over at an attraction or something. Hard to explain. $623 could be saved of we stay at the swalphin on Starwood points for free instead of the grand, but it feels like a "once in a lifetime" opportunity!
To help answer your concern about feeling like you're sleeping in an attraction....totally opposite, actually. The resort is SO incredibly quiet you actually don't feel like you're "right next door" to MK or in the MK. It's like an oasis away from the parks. During the day, we'd hop the monorail or the boat and go back to the resort and just nap or hang out. It was so quiet and peaceful. And it's not "Mickey in your face", so you don't feel like it's SOOOO Disney. (if that makes sense)

One of the best things though, at night you can sit on the beach or on your balcony or at the marina and watch the fireworks at MK or the electric water parade go by. It's a treat.

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #28
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom View Post
To help answer your concern about feeling like you're sleeping in an attraction....totally opposite, actually. The resort is SO incredibly quiet you actually don't feel like you're "right next door" to MK or in the MK. It's like an oasis away from the parks. During the day, we'd hop the monorail or the boat and go back to the resort and just nap or hang out. It was so quiet and peaceful. And it's not "Mickey in your face", so you don't feel like it's SOOOO Disney. (if that makes sense)

One of the best things though, at night you can sit on the beach or on your balcony or at the marina and watch the fireworks at MK or the electric water parade go by. It's a treat.
Fantastic. I am sooooooo tempted to book it now instead of the Swan. Is two nights long enough to be worthwhile though? That's the question I suppose.
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #29
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post
Fantastic. I am sooooooo tempted to book it now instead of the Swan. Is two nights long enough to be worthwhile though? That's the question I suppose.
Any amount of time is worth staying there! And actually, two days might be a nice romantic trip.... when we went, we were celebrating my birthday and our anniversary. (they were both the week we were there) So we got buttons at check in....make sure you get anniversary buttons at checkin and tell them that you're celebrating.... well, they put a red rose in our room w /a card from the characters and a white chocolate postcard of the GF all for our anniversary. It was amazing. Obviously there's no guarantee that they'll do something, but I think when you're not expecting something, that's when the magic happens and every little thing is wonderful. I just think that they REALLY go out of their way to make your trip....short or long....special and memorable. I don't know if the Swan would do that.... I could be wrong.

But for an anniversary, it would be very romantic. If you do go, you might consider eating at Narcoossees or Citricos for dinner. We ate at Narcoossee's and it was fabulous. And if you hit it right, you can watch the fireworks from the restaurant... how much better can it get ??

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: