Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

Late April/Early May

My cousins family is going to WDW the week that straddles the last of April beginning of May on a MAW trip for their dd. She made a comment last week that she thought crowds would be low and It would still be rather cool and that she wasn't planning to take shorts. The MAW kid needs to be kept cool. I'm thinking she might not be correct. I'm picturing them spending the week inside watching tv because it's too hot. Anyone got experience with this week - temps, rain crowds?
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
auntfrannie
DIS Veteran

Normally the temps are beautiful! Sunny and low 80s. I've never been there in May when it wasn't shorts weather. A few years ago it was unseasonably hot and temps hit the 90s.

Crowds are very manageable but I would plan for shorts! Unless they're from a really hot climate and low 80s would seem chilly to them!
auntfrannie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
bear_mom
DIS Veteran

We have gone (and are going) the week that spans April/May several times. We have always worn shorts. Last year it was hotter than in the past and was in the 90's most of the week. Most years it is pleasantly warm-hot with temps in the mid-80's. There has been one or two nights, when watching a evening show (Illumination and Fantasmic) that I have wished I had a hoodie due to a chill, but survivied without.

Crowds are okay that week, can see a few school groups doing their end of the school year trip and there has been a cheer compition over the weekend.

Emily
bear_mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
K&TLoveDisney
Earning My Ears

DH & I were down in WDW in mid-April a few years ago. The weather was definately shorts weather. We had one day were a cold wind was blowing from the north (in the shade you felt a little cool, but in the sun you were warm).

A friend of mind goes almost every year in the beginning of May and she loves it at that time of year. She says the crowds are low and the weather is usually beautiful (warm or hot with lower humidity than the summer). Always swimming weather.

-Terry
K&TLoveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer

We always go the first week in May. I am a person who loves hot weather, but I find it pretty hot by early afternoon and I'm ready to take a break. We always find ourselves looking for a shady spot or some air conditioning because it's just so hot, although definitely not as hot as in the summer months. Last year two people in our party used cooling vests. That's something your cousin might want to look into for the MAW child. And shorts, definitely. As for rain, we almost always gets some during the week, but not a lot. Last year we had an afternoon or early evening thunder storm several times during the week. They didn't last long, but that was the most rain we ever had for a one-week stay in early May. In previous years, there was always one heavy afternoon thunderstorm sometime during the week. They're usually over in less than an hour.
infopurposesonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
gooftroop22
DIS Veteran

We have always gone during this time and its mainly because we know it's going to be pretty hot while we're there! Can't imagine wearing pants at that time of year...even a light sweater for the evenings can be a bit much because of the heat!

WDW 2005 - Offiste - FIRST TRIP!
WDW 2007 - CBR - FIRST ONSITE VISIT
WDW 2008 - CSR - Trip with my Sister
WDW 2009/2010 - CBR - Family Trip
WDW 2011/2012 - Disney Dream/OKW
WDW 2013 - SSR - Grad Trip
DCL 2013 - Disney Dream
gooftroop22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
waltdisneymama
Mouseketeer

We were there at this time of year in 2008 and definitely were comfortable in shorts - the weather was beautiful!! It only rained one afternoon out of the two weeks that we were there.
waltdisneymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
GovieMom
DIS Veteran

Tell your cousin to expect moderate crowds, hot temps and intense sun. Summer comes early in Florida!
GovieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToGoNow View Post
My cousins family is going to WDW the week that straddles the last of April beginning of May on a MAW trip for their dd. She made a comment last week that she thought crowds would be low and It would still be rather cool and that she wasn't planning to take shorts. The MAW kid needs to be kept cool. I'm thinking she might not be correct. I'm picturing them spending the week inside watching tv because it's too hot. Anyone got experience with this week - temps, rain crowds?
We went this exact week last year. The crowds were middle ground. It wasn't very quiet or very busy. However, I think she'd be miserable without shorts. it was 80-85 most days and standing on the pavement of Epcot or AK was HOT. I go in August every year and it wasn't as bad as that by any means. But 85 is 85 and out in the sun around 1pm she'll be unhappy in pants.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: