DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
MyLove4Disney
Disney Kid forever

Aulani DVC Studio question

I'm going very thrifty this year. Trying to fit in 3 vacations this year, so have to watch my budget.

I have stayed at Aulani a year ago in a 2 bedroom and house keeping would bring us any extra cooking items or dishes if we found we needed something more.

I was wondering if anyone has asked for any cooking type items for a studio when it doesn't have a full kitchen, but basically a wet bar.

I wondering if anyone has asked for

-a 2nd frig I know your are asking why. I think the ones they have are probably small and if we get a gallon of milk it will take up 1/2 the frig...
I was thinking of buying a small Styrofoam cooler and put ice in it to keep other things cold, but if they would supply and extra frig that would be great.
-toaster
-bowls for storing cooked items
-glass dishes and coffee cups etc.

We are planning on doing a lot of micro wave and potentially bring a 110 electric griddle for cooking morning breakfast and grilled sandwiches, burgers and salads for lunch. No flames please, I know it is ok to have... I use one regularly at home and know how to be safe with it.

We won't be eating at the resort, really don't want to spend the money and the food didn't seem that good for the price.

MyLove4Disney Mom and Daughter forever cruise'n Currently Mom of a Disneyland Resort Cast Member, if you've been there and visited with a princess or one of the charaters you have probably met her...

Disneyland -- to many times to count, 1st time at age 12 for only 3 hours when they had E tickets. 2nd time when I was 24 it was their 30th aniversary, Now I visit regularly ** Disney World -- May 91, Jun 92, Jun 93 Off site; Jun 94 CB; Feb 95 DixL; Jun 95 Off site; Feb 96 DixL; Jun 96 Off Site; Feb 98 DixL; Jun 98 CS; Feb 99 POF; Feb 00 DixL; Jun 00 CS; Feb 01 AS Music; Feb 02 DixL; Jun 02 CS; Jun 04 CS; Feb 05 POR; Jan 06 POR; May 06 SSR; Feb 07 & 08 OKW;Jun 08 SSR and CS; SSR 09; OKW 10; CSR 11, 12 and 13; Aulani 12 and 13** Disney Cruise Line -- 7 ngt Feb 05, Jan 06, Feb 07, Feb 08, Feb 09, Mar 11, May 14 Finally became DVC members Jan 06
MyLove4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

studio have toaster.

you can always ask housekeeping.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
ImNarek
Mouseketeer

We stayed in a studio last year. The 'dishes' are pretty minimal - 4 paper plates, 4 waxed paper bowls. 4 glass glasses, 4 coffee cups. It did have have a toaster and a rice cooker

You could ask Housekeeping for those extra things, but since glass serving ware and such are not standard fare for the studio, I wouldn't be surprised if they said no. If they do say yes, I'd love to hear.

The fridge is one of the larger dorm style fridges, if that helps, about 3 feet high.
Sept 2005 - 7N DM Western Caribbean
Sept 2006 - 7N Special Western Caribbean & Port Orleans
2011 - Inaugural Alaskan Cruise, Disney Magic
Trips to WDW - too many to count
Feb 2012 - Disney's Aulani resort
Dec 2012 - Grand Family Gathering & 1st trip to our new 'home' resort AKV
May 2013 6N DM Western Caribbean out of Galveston
Sept 2013 B2B Eastern & Western Caribbean, Disney
Fantasy
ImNarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

We always use studios but have always supplied our own paper plates & plastic silverware when we've exhausted the initial supply in the unit. Have never asked housekeeping for "real" of anything else. In FL we have an Owners Locker that we keep sharp knives and small microwavable bowls (think Gladware). You could easily pick up a few of these items at Target or Walmart if you don't want to pack them. As far as the frig goes I think they're bigger than what you'd expect. The freezer will hold a "family size" (24 count) box of waffles if you take them out of the box & store the sleeves only. We usually get milk in 1/2 gal. containers and a 2 liter of soda and both usually fit in the door - plus there's usually room for several cans in the door... We also get a few other breakfast items (fruit, butter, cream cheese etc.) and have never had a problem fitting everything. At HHI we also had eggs, cheese, mayo and lunchmeats... We usually devote one shelf to bottles of water & the others to food. I do not think you will need to go with the styrofoam cooler plan. The frig. is counter height and will hold more than a gallon of milk...although I might plan on shopping for about 3 days worth of food at a time rather than a whole weeks worth. There should be a toaster in the unit along with a small microwave. (Next time you are in a store that sells small refrigerators like a Target or a Walmart take a look inside one.)

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

The policy is that rooms are presented as-is. They will bring additional paper products to a Studio if you run out (they don't stock an extensive supply in rooms because many people don't need them, yet will take them home as souvenirs.) But as a practice, they will not deliver additional dish ware upon request.

Could it happen if you call housekeeping and politely make a request? Possibly. Just no way of knowing.

As for delivering a second refrigerator--that will not happen.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Ln42
Mouseketeer

I have requested wine glasses from housekeeping and they were delivered no problem. Dont the studios have ceramic coffee mugs stocked?

[ ]

'04 Polynesian'05 Poly...'06 Poly...'07 Poly...'07 Pop... '08 DCL Eastern Carribean... '09 AKV Jambo...'10 First Visit Home! AKV-K/BCV...'11 AKV-K..'12VWL/VERO/OKW..'13 AKV-K..'13 Aulani
Ln42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
adamak
Type A DVC fan!
Have you rode the Coney Island Cyclone?

I wouldn't know where they will put a 2nd fridge. Buy a disposable cooler or bring a collapsible bag (those with silver linings inside). Then fill it with ice and leave the milk / soda there. The rest of the food can go into fridge.

Bring those Ziploc plastic containers from home to store food. They should take up that much more space. If studio has rice cooker, you can pretty much make an entire meal by steaming and boiling food (google recipes and methods). I survive college with my cooker.

If you like seafood, get some poke (ceviche type fish). It's relatively cheap, it's very good in Hawaii.
adamak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
surfer_ed
Disney/Marvel Geek and Proud of it

Location: Wish it was Cast Away Cay, but Moose Jaw SK for now

You might need to bring your own. I bring a knife, cutting board etc. I was juts at Aulani and the supplies are minimal. Ran out of spoons by day 3. I think you could get wine glasses but not the other stuff.

Also Aulani was amazing but the counter space is minimal and the sink is smaller.
1972-Off-site , 1976-Poly, 1977-Off-site, 1978-FW,1980-Christmas at FW,1993-CBR, 1994-Off-site, 1996-Off-site Disneyland,2003-Christmas & Honeymoon CSR, 2004-AKL, 2005-POP MNSSHP and DD first trip, 2006-March DCL/First Trip Home SSR, March 2007 Vero/Beach Club DS First Trip, Oct 2007 ASMo/DCL/Wilderness Lodge, Jan 09 ASSp/ASMu, Nov 09 Vero/DCL/BCV, Jan 2010 Family Reunion AKV, Jan 11 SSR no kids, Jan 12 DCL/BLT, Jan 13 Aulani/DL, March 14 Vero/Beach Club

2006,2007,2008,2009 Dreams Take Flight Group Leader,Magical Memories for Special Kids
http://yyz.dreamstakeflight.ca/
surfer_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
MyLove4Disney
Disney Kid forever

Thanks for the info everyone ill be there Monday

MyLove4Disney Mom and Daughter forever cruise'n Currently Mom of a Disneyland Resort Cast Member, if you've been there and visited with a princess or one of the charaters you have probably met her...

Disneyland -- to many times to count, 1st time at age 12 for only 3 hours when they had E tickets. 2nd time when I was 24 it was their 30th aniversary, Now I visit regularly ** Disney World -- May 91, Jun 92, Jun 93 Off site; Jun 94 CB; Feb 95 DixL; Jun 95 Off site; Feb 96 DixL; Jun 96 Off Site; Feb 98 DixL; Jun 98 CS; Feb 99 POF; Feb 00 DixL; Jun 00 CS; Feb 01 AS Music; Feb 02 DixL; Jun 02 CS; Jun 04 CS; Feb 05 POR; Jan 06 POR; May 06 SSR; Feb 07 & 08 OKW;Jun 08 SSR and CS; SSR 09; OKW 10; CSR 11, 12 and 13; Aulani 12 and 13** Disney Cruise Line -- 7 ngt Feb 05, Jan 06, Feb 07, Feb 08, Feb 09, Mar 11, May 14 Finally became DVC members Jan 06
MyLove4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
Lisacope
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLove4Disney View Post
Thanks for the info everyone ill be there Monday
Have a great trip Susan! We just got back from Aulani - you will have a wonderful time!
Lisacope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamak View Post
I wouldn't know where they will put a 2nd fridge. Buy a disposable cooler or bring a collapsible bag (those with silver linings inside). Then fill it with ice and leave the milk / soda there. The rest of the food can go into fridge.
I just want to 2nd this... I don't know where you'd really fit another fridge?

We spent 10 days in a studio and found there was enough room in there for some basics (milk, cream, juice, some left overs.) for the pair of us.
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration & perhaps some 33 lovin' /15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean & BLT/GFV

TagsMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #12
candiemonster
Earning My Ears

When we staye at a studio last year, they always gave us plates and bowls whenever we ask for it. They even provided us a rice cooker. Perfect for cooking oatmeal and soup an of course rice!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #13
erikawolf2004
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

How big is the rice cooker?

Is the rice cooker really small or could we get 3-4 cups of rice in there? Also is there a porridge setting for oatmeal? My husband loves his oatmeal.

Thanks, Erika

erikawolf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:14 AM   #14
MarieDCL
Pirate of the Caribbean

Are there rice cookers in every studio or did you specifically ask for one in your room?

| Wonder 5-night Western Carribbean 02/2014 | Wonder 7-night Alaska 05/2012 | Magic 7-night Eastern Carribbean 01/2012 | Magic 7-night Western Carribbean 01/2011 |
| Aulani Disney Hawaii Resort 05/2013 | Animal Kingdom Kidani Village 08/2012 | Animal Kingdom Jambo House 01/2010 |
MarieDCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:15 AM   #15
candiemonster
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikawolf2004
Is the rice cooker really small or could we get 3-4 cups of rice in there? Also is there a porridge setting for oatmeal? My husband loves his oatmeal.

Thanks, Erika
The rice cooker can cook 6-8 cups. There was no special setting for oatmeal we just did an estimate as to the water-to-oatmeal ratio.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: