Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
Mrs.Malone
DIS Veteran

My family has to have protein or else everyone is
begging to stop for food by the time we get through the gate
no matter how many poptarts they ate.
We do PB and honey on whole wheat, string cheese,
pepperoni slices with triscuits, protein bars. All
with apples or grapes. If we don't want
to deal with refrigerated groceries we just
do the PB sandwiches and fruit.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #17
Crystal Brewer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl

This is the walmart I use.

Been there on both of my last trips. Very easy to get to but make sure your gps is set to avoid the toll road or carry plenty of change (the road BEHIND the store to gets back to disney, it's a exact change toll road LOL luckily I had the right amount of quarters) however there is a short and easy non toll option as well. It was maybe 15 minutes from the epcot area.

Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #5420
3250 Vineland Road
Kissimmee, FL 34746
(407) 397-1125

GREAT!! Being close *Happy Dance* Tolls I won't complain we're seeing Mickey tho hopefully I find your back road in GPS We live in a pretty low living cost area yet I love adventure so knew I would pay more (tho no food tax still in Fl hopefully) Thank You much for exact address to load in GPS-31 days til we eat bfast at ASMo
Crystal Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #18
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Brewer View Post
GREAT!! Being close *Happy Dance* Tolls I won't complain we're seeing Mickey tho hopefully I find your back road in GPS We live in a pretty low living cost area yet I love adventure so knew I would pay more (tho no food tax still in Fl hopefully) Thank You much for exact address to load in GPS-31 days til we eat bfast at ASMo
In your GPS setting there should be a option for avoid toll roads, but really the road that runs in FRONT of WM is the non toll road. If you head out on that road going LEFT you should recalculate to the non toll option. If not than just make sure you have quarters. It was $1.25 I believe. It is the major road that is BEHIND walmart that is the toll road.

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
GoofyMB
Mouseketeer

I usually pack bagels and in a small insulated lunch bag pack cream cheese and cheese sticks along with an ice pack. These fit in my checked luggage and then I put them in the refigerator at the resort.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #20
kkandaj
No longer a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Malone View Post
My family has to have protein or else everyone is
begging to stop for food by the time we get through the gate
no matter how many poptarts they ate.
We do PB and honey on whole wheat, string cheese,
pepperoni slices with triscuits, protein bars. All
with apples or grapes. If we don't want
to deal with refrigerated groceries we just
do the PB sandwiches and fruit.
Same here--we could never make it on cereal/pop tarts. We would also have beef jerky/slim jims and bananas. But we rarely eat cereal/pop tarts at home for breakfast anyway. Those are "snacks" for my kids.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
Crystal Brewer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl

In your GPS setting there should be a option for avoid toll roads, but really the road that runs in FRONT of WM is the non toll road. If you head out on that road going LEFT you should recalculate to the non toll option. If not than just make sure you have quarters. It was $1.25 I believe. It is the major road that is BEHIND walmart that is the toll road.
Yes I've got the "no tolls" option tho don't completely put faith in "bonbon" We've got ours set to "Bonnie" voice When we were on the La coast "bonbon" took us for a whirlwind when I tried to change route rofl it made for great memories tho
Crystal Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #22
pocomom
Brr.....

we stayed in our rv last time so this might not work for most , but I premake breakfast burritos the week before- eggs or egg white, cheese, sometimes some veggie sausage, or peppers, mushrooms and onions wrapped in a tortilla- then wrap em up and freeze, nuke in the morning and we're ready to go! For shorter flights you may be able to do somethings like that with a good insulated bag.
Lots of fruit, cheese sticks, we also do yogurt smoothies.
Bagels and pb are easy with OP situation. I agree on the protein! and opting for lower suger options, the kids get enough sugar in Disney!
Do they still make Carnation Instant Breakfast? We used to love that stuff as kids, was probably just chocolate milk mix
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #23
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

I do 2 to 3 kinds of cereal & one has to be one that I will eat (I won't eat frosted flakes!!). Usually mini wheats, rice krispies, cherrios.

I also bring bagels, I get them the day before, usually the frozen lenders. I pack them in my suitcase.

I have done oatmeal packets as well.

Poptarts but just one box.
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
monorailsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #24
NorCalGal
Mouseketeer

For some reason, I always prefer to eat breakfast in my room when I vacation - Disney or otherwise. Most of my ideas have been mentioned, but my favorite is almonds (or any nuts, really) and dried fruit, usually apricots. It's easy to pack, you don't have to worry about refrigeration, you don't have to worry about shopping when you arrive, and you can pre-package them in daily servings and just grab a baggie and head out the door in the morning if you need to to save time.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #25
wendow
DIS Veteran

We eat breakfast in our room too. The day before we left, I made homemade pumpkin bread, apple cinnamon bread and blueberry muffins. I wrapped them in foil and then put in a baggie. They were a little smooshed but otherwise great. We also packed Poptarts, bagels and jar of peanut butter.

me , dh , dd14 , dd11 , ds5 , ds3
wendow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #26
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I always stick with cereal and milk,we don't get bored because we bring or buy a variety that we don't normally eat at home- I love the ease of it,and if I have my coffee,then I'm all set!
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #27
ExPirateShopGirl
My posts are sanitized for your protection!
Oh, sorry. The dog just peed on it.

This. We buy bags of nuts and dried fruits separately at Trader Joe's then combine them in blends to suit each person's personal tastes. We make smaller baggies for the trip there and back and larger bags in the checked luggage to use in the morning and throughout our trip. Having a handful of dried cherries, roasted almonds and walnuts is a handy way to satisfy hunger until mealtime in a relatively healthful manner.

We also bring "Kind" bars along for snacks. I'm sure there are places in Orlando to buy them but I don't count on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGal View Post
For some reason, I always prefer to eat breakfast in my room when I vacation - Disney or otherwise. Most of my ideas have been mentioned, but my favorite is almonds (or any nuts, really) and dried fruit, usually apricots. It's easy to pack, you don't have to worry about refrigeration, you don't have to worry about shopping when you arrive, and you can pre-package them in daily servings and just grab a baggie and head out the door in the morning if you need to to save time.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #28
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

agree with pps that on vacations, we usually try to make sure there is SOME protein in the breakfast and I also try to make sure it's not super sugary as they will be getting plenty of that in the parks. So things like:
* bagels and cream cheese (DD loves salmon cream cheese so extra protein bonus!)
* cereal and milk (yeah, gets old but it's a nice staple, plus Cheerios make an easy snack in the parks)
* yogurt (if a freezer is available, you can freeze the tubes and kind of like ice cream for breakfast -- the kids think it is a treat!)
* fruit to go with any of the above
* string cheese or other cheese sticks
* oatmeal with sliced almonds or other nuts and fruit
* you could also do microwaveable breakfast sandwiches or burritos if you have a freezer and microwave available.

Other options include breakfast pastries of various kinds but unless something like a ham and cheese croissant, I'd probably plan on a need to refuel fairly quickly.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #29
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

What a great money saver if your family is satisfied with nearly all-carb breakfasts...plus a time saver!

My family wouldn't go for just cereal/oatmeal/bread/pastry either for breakfast. PB&J on a bagel would be okay for a day or two, but not all week, and I don't think I could convince them to eat string cheese for their protein every day either.

I do like some of the frozen options people have mentioned if you have access to a freezer--however I don't think that the non-DVC Disney rooms really have one other than maybe a little section of the fridge that is a freezer...but I haven't had the best of luck with those things. Tried to put ice cream in there once and it melted all over.

We either stay at a hotel that provides a full breakfast buffet or at a timeshare where we can make our own hot breakfast. Maybe my family is spoiled, but either my husband and I will make eggs and a breakfast meat nearly every morning.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #30
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

I love to take BelVitas and have some fruit. Really, I'll eat anything for breakfast but BelVitas, Luna bars, and granola bars have served me very well at WDW!
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: