Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #16
Bella29
Mouseketeer

This is one we would definitely pass on for a variety of reasons, but great news for those in close proximity!
Bella29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #17
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chee Chick
We moved back to Louisiana last year after being in Houston for almost 12 years. I already had a cruise booked on the Magic from Galveston when we moved. It was still easy to drive to Galveston and we had a wonderful cruise. We are just about 2 hours from New Orleans now. It would be so awesome for DCL to be there!!!!
We actually lived in NOLA area too. Lived in Slidell from 2003-2007 and then Pearland 2007-2012. North of Jackson now :-).

Now, hubby and I have a cruise on the Magic booked in May. Not looking forward to the 8 hour drive, but it does beat the 12 hour drive to PC we have next month. But a 3 hour drive, yeah, that would be awesome! Keeping m fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Aug/03 - 1st Trip DL Aug/04 - FW Cabins 1st trip WDW Jun/05 - WDW offsite Dec/06 - ASMo/OKW & MVMCP Jan/08 - POR BFF trip Sept-Oct/08 - AKV & MNSSHP Dec/09 - Pop*Disney Magic 7 nt Eastern w/ Tortola*Pop again Jan/11 - Disney Wonder 15 nt Panama Canal WB Nov/11 - Cor Spngs w/my honey Dec/11 - AKV Kidani w/ the kids Oct/12 - CR/Poly & MNSSHP Mar/13 - Disney Fantasy 7 nt Eastern w/San Juan May/13 - Disney Magic 6 nt Western w/my honey June/13 - SSR Girls Only Trip Sept/13 - Disneyland Paris w/my honey Oct/13 - BC & MNSSHP w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #18
dorothyn
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
I just don't see n.o. as 'family friendly'. it has such an adult party reputation, can it get past that?
actually if las vegas did it I guess they could.
Just got back from a Christmas River Cruise from New Orleans. I definitely wouldn't take kids down Bourbon Street at night, but otherwise I think the town can be plenty family friendly. There's the Aquarium, the IMAX, the Zoo, plus plenty of history, both the old New Orleans kind, and the slightly more recent kind (the WWII museum).
dorothyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #19
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
I just don't see n.o. as 'family friendly'. it has such an adult party reputation, can it get past that?
actually if las vegas did it I guess they could.
They also sail to Key West and that is not exactly a family atmosphere.

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #20
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

I don't see it happening. They could not fill ships out of Galveston, Texas - I mean Texas - huge population - and they have bailed out of there already. Losing money on a contract they had already agreed to because it didn't work out. So I really don't see them coming here. I have also heard another thing that keeps ships out of New Orleans is the long distance they have to travel down the river to get to the Gulf - don't really know if I believe that or not. Another reason - where would they go from New Orleans - the same old places they already go - I think after seeing the new itinerarys released last week they may be starting to realize that people want a change in the places they go. Now I didn't like that they are moving more cruises from starting in the United States, but I guess they will do what they have to do to fill their ships. Consider this also when you look at the family end of it - Disney does not want any bad publicity and well lets face it - I was born and raised in New Orleans - love the city and wouldn't change living here for anything, but it is not the safest place in the world.
Would love to see it as I am from the New Orleans area - but I won't count on it!

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #21
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Hooked On DCL

Minnie 123 has it right, I to lived in NOLA for 62 years. I would not want to depart from Poland Ave. nothing their not that close to hotels. Understand NO only has shot at D Magic and D Wonder. Fantasy and Dream contracted to Port Caneveral next 5 plus years.

This is about filling ship, Disney is about kids, fall 2014 they are cruising out of San Juan, the islands in far eastern Caribbean. This offers a unique place to start and three stops they have not been to.

Now that said I could get on board sail to grand cayman and back in seven days with six nights at sea and love it.

Disney Magic Feb 9 to 13, 2013

Last edited by Beermam42; 02-22-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Update
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #22
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Galveston nice place to leave from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmie3377 View Post
We actually lived in NOLA area too. Lived in Slidell from 2003-2007 and then Pearland 2007-2012. North of Jackson now :-).

Now, hubby and I have a cruise on the Magic booked in May. Not looking forward to the 8 hour drive, but it does beat the 12 hour drive to PC we have next month. But a 3 hour drive, yeah, that would be awesome! Keeping m fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Stayed in Texas City at Hampton Inn. Dove down night before eat at Fishermans Wraf. It right next to cruise terminals 14 miles from hotel. Take 146 off of I-10 to avoid going though Houston and 1 45. Parked at 1227 park ?? Next to old train station. They have shuttle. 60 for 6 nights did it in advance on line got discount.

Have a magical cruise. We did.
DISNEY MAGIC FEB 9-13, 2013
DISNEYLAND 1954 OPENING YEAR & 1977
WDW 1972 OPENING YEAR
WDW 1974 THROUGH JUNE 2013 CAN'T COUNT
HOOP DEE DOO REVIEW 21 TIMES
RIVER COUNTRY
RODE STEAM TRAIN IN FT WILDERNESS
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #23
TinkEBell
"It's Goooood" *In my PIP voice*

I am from New Orleans so I would LOVE this! But, I am not getting my hopes up as it does not seem very realistic that Disney will come here. If on the off chance it does, I would be one happy camper (or cruiser!).
TinkEBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #24
disneygirl1972
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
I couldn't handle it. I live literally ON the river. I watch 2 Carnival ships, Navigator of the Seas, and A Norweigian ship pass here every week from my sofa. I couldn't handle seeing a Disney ship pass every week. We'd go broke!
I'm with you on the "B R O K E" part
Old 03-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #25
ctalley
Mouseketeer

If this happens, we would definitely try to take advantage of it. New Orleans would be a shorter drive for us.
ctalley is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: