Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #91
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEMY3KIDDOS View Post
2. Will child swap remain the same?
Why wouldn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEMY3KIDDOS View Post
3. I'm wondering how this will be received by those travelling with wide age ranges? For instance, this fall my family is going with my BIL and SIL and their kids. My kids are bigger and ride everything from Dumbo to TOT. Their kids...not so much. So, I am thinking we will not all be reserving the same FP's each day? Kinda forces us to split up?
Why would it force you to split up any more than the current FP system? It seems that if FP+ allows for more FPs being available at more attractions, then we will be waiting in line for less amount of time, allowing disparate groups to happily tour without splitting up.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #92
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
Obviously, more people obtaining FPs will result in fewer people waiting in the SB line. The ideal situation would be that if every guest who was interested in riding a specific ride was able to obtain one FP for it. The only people who would then need to be in the SB line would be those people wanting an additional ride. The SB line would therefore become fairly short, but the wait time would be as long as it needed to be.
And perhaps this what the PTWB are hoping for- that everyone (or at least the overwhelming majority) only wants to ride once and be done. And I am sure there are a large number of folks who feel that way.

I guess it will remain to be seen just how many people want to ride twice (or thrice ) and are they willing to wait standby to do it? I would for 20 minutes or less (maybe 30 depending on the ride).

Again, I am interested as to how it will play out in reality and not in theoretical numbers. As we know, Disney is SO great at planning things and then not having the roll out go as planned
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #93
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Obviously, more people obtaining FPs will result in fewer people waiting in the SB line. The ideal situation would be that if every guest who was interested in riding a specific ride was able to obtain one FP for it. The only people who would then need to be in the SB line would be those people wanting an additional ride. The SB line would therefore become fairly short, but the wait time would be as long as it needed to be.
If everyone that wanted to ride had a FP then isn't that about the same as making the FP line the new SB line? How can you move most everyone out of the SB line to the FP line and not expect the FP line waits to go up greatly?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #94
EagleScout
Mouseketeer

why park hopping affected?

Quote:
You just go to Guest Services and have your ticket swapped.
I'm missing the connection between being able to preschedule 3 or 4 FPs and phasing out PH. Currently, we can't preschedule any FPs. Why would being able to preschedule some be the death of hopping?

Why would they need to take away slots from one attraction to increase slots at another?
It would impact park hopping because under current system, you can do regular fastpass at two different parks in one day, but fastpass plus only allows to pre-reserve at one park per day, and the current proposed terms and conditions (which may change because no actual system in place yet) clearly states that cannot do both fastpass plus and regular fastpass in same visit. So it looks like if you do fastpass plus and do two parks in same day, one will be entirely standby lines.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #95
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It is certainly possible that the current FP machines will go away, but same-day FPs will still be available via the FP+ kiosks or smartphone apps.
It has been my understanding that Disney has yet to state that FP+'s will be available the day of. For certain for those that have not made any in advance but I haven't seen where it has been stated that if you make 4 or 3 in advance that you would be allowed to make more once you are in the park. It would be great if this is what comes to pass but I have not seen Disney state this. So as you like to point out that Disney has not stated that we won't be able to get extra FP+'s the day of, neither have they stated that we WILL be able to get extra FP+'s the day of.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #96
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Why wouldn't it?
Why would it force you to split up any more than the current FP system? It seems that if FP+ allows for more FPs being available at more attractions, then we will be waiting in line for less amount of time, allowing disparate groups to happily tour without splitting up.
For child swap...just thinking with there being fastpasses on attractions that did not previously have FP...unless that is not the case. Like one that comes tom ind for our personal situation...Haunted Mansion. My kids always rode everything. They were not scared of thrill rides or dark rides. My nephew will be scared on HM. So, can they do a child swap? Or no? I don't know if it was ever an option...as I never had the issue. Just trying to iron things out since I am planning for two families that have varying ages from 2 to 17 (kid-wise).

We currently can't FP things like HM and Pirates. So, if we did that, the others would not ride with us. Is it the common consensus that we will not need to FP them? And they can be visited stand by?

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #97
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4miami View Post
The word on the street from the officials is that you are only going to be able to schedule FP+ in one park a day.
You can only PREschedule FPs for one park per day. No word has been given regrading same-day FPs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4miami View Post
So the only way to park hop really would be to schedule all your FP+ rides either in the morning and then go to another park at night, or visa versa. I hate this idea. I like being able to go from park to park and get fastpasses for whatever I want, whenever I want.
We have no idea how same-day FPs will work. If the CM who spoke to the OP is correct, the only difference in your current park hopping practice and your new one will be that you will have had prescheduled 4 FPs for one of the parks that you visit that day.

Today = no prescheduled FPs
Future = 4 prescheduled FPs

Last edited by dadddio; 02-19-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #98
kenny
I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train. - Walter E. Disney

PP raises my concern. So based on the new system there is a lack of spontaneity built in. Unless you per plan all your days you are at a disadvantage. While the current system does have its draw backs it puts everyone on a level playing field. If I want to get to RD and get fast pass for a reason hour for TSM I can.if not i take what I can get. With FP+ I better know ahead of time what day I want to go to HS.

We visit often as many of the folks here and aside from a few planned days like day 1 and last day don't really plan what park we want to do every day. We don't do ADRs every day so we don't have to be at a specific park every day. Looks like this type of travel would now get later FP times which may or may not work for your schedule or mostly sb. Also. Forget about park hopping as you can't use FP+ in two parks.

Wile I get the reason for trying to cut down lines I don't like the idea I'd forcing people to plan everything. While some may like it I think the idea of booking cs meals and preordering ridiculous. If I wanted to schedule a meal I would do sit down. The points f cs is that you just go when you want. Ad to figure out in advance what I or my kids will want to eat days or weeks in advance?

Jmo

Old 02-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #99
golf4miami
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You can only PREschedule FPs for one park per day. No word has been given regrading same-day FPs.
We have no idea how same-day FPs will work. If the CM who spoke to the OP is correct, the only difference in your current park hopping practice and your new one will be that you will have had prescheduled 4 FPs for one of the parks that you visit that day.

Today = no prescheduled FPs
Future = 4 prescheduled FPs
Based on the CURRENT terms and conditions and not based on rumor I have to agree with a PP who said this:

Quote:
It would impact park hopping because under current system, you can do regular fastpass at two different parks in one day, but fastpass plus only allows to pre-reserve at one park per day, and the current proposed terms and conditions (which may change because no actual system in place yet) clearly states that cannot do both fastpass plus and regular fastpass in same visit. So it looks like if you do fastpass plus and do two parks in same day, one will be entirely standby lines.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #100
andyman8
DIS Veteran

An interesting point has been brought up here.

While Disney's T&C does mention that guests with RFID tickets would no longer have access to the standard FP system, part of FP+ seems to be making FP+ reservations while in the park and it seems Disney will be segmenting off a predetermined amount of FP+ slots in advance to be released on the day they are valid. It seems like these reservations can be made on a smartphone or at special kiosks around the parks.

Perhaps, guests will have four prescheduled FP+ reservations (two from Group A and two from Group B) and then will be able to make to make FP+ reservations for attractions while they are in the park with the only restrictions being that you can't get another until the window on the first FP+ is open or two hour after obtaining the FP+ (basically exactly how the existing FP system works but it's now just via a smartphone) and guests can only prebook FP+s at one park, per day.

So, at MK, I could book a 12-1pm for Jungle Cruise, 2-3pm FP+ for Space, a 3-4pm for Splash, and a 4-5pm for Barnstormer. Let's say I meander into the park just before noon, I could get a FP+ for Thunder on my smartphone for 1-2pm. In the meanwhile, I could ride Buzz (if it doesn't have a long, long line), PotC, HM, TTA, and see CADTC, MSEP, and Wishes. That being said, that's a lot of planning for one day.

If this is the case, I wouldn't be necessarily be opposed (at the least, it would save walking time from FP kiosk to FP kiosk) to the new system but I'm skeptical.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #101
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
This is one of the pieces I'm really curious to watch. If you can only get 3 or 4 FPs, and only 1 or 2 of those are for headliners, then lots of folks are going to have to stand in standby lines. I think there are just too mnay unknowns to predict how this will pan out. But the pile of threads recently from folks frustrated by standby waits certainly has my attention. Many of them report entering the SB line when it was very short, but standing for extended periods of time watching dozens of FP folks feeding in while they wait. For them it doesn't matter that there weren't many other folks in the standby line. For them, it was a very negative experience.
Two things will turn around that experience. 1) accurate wait times, 2) the ability to get a FP.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #102
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mickeyfan View Post
If everyone that wanted to ride had a FP then isn't that about the same as making the FP line the new SB line? How can you move most everyone out of the SB line to the FP line and not expect the FP line waits to go up greatly?
As long as the number of FPs are less than the ride's capacity for a specific time period, then the FP wait time will be short. SB waits will vary based on how the FP guests 'clump' during their return window.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #103
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleScout View Post
The T&C states that you will not be able to use both FP+ and the 'standard' FP system. WHat is not clear is what it means by the 'standard' system. As I tried to discuss in an earlier post, that could mean the current paper FP system, or getting FPs same-day regardless of whether it is using the current paper-cased system or the to-be-released virtual system.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #104
DAZY3BYZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
Latest rumors indicate that EMH may be gutted starting this September, which would explain why the park hours for Sept. have not been released yet. I think this would be just another result of FP+.
So if EMH is indeed going to become extinct , what will they do to entice people to stay onsite? They need to fill those resorts and right now EMH is the big advantage they advertise to staying onsite.

1999-ALL Star-sports; 2003- POR; 2004- POR; 2006 POR-POLY; 2007 POLY; 2009 POR-BC; 2010 POR-AKL
Old 02-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #105
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballarinamom View Post
The one, and in my opinion, most important variable you are not calcualting is how many folks do no planning ahead of time. There are so many folks who dont even know what a FP is and will not bother with it. These are the folks who are in line complaining about how few rides they were able to ride because of crowds. You are assuming all WDW guests are like us- planners. How often have we been in a park and see those folks go through the turnstiles with map in hand who say "OK, what are we going to do first?" There are more of them there there are of us. So for the planners, I see this as a good thing. As long as we can book our 4 FPs prior to going and still be able to get a few FPs in the park, my planning will be easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenT View Post
One thing I think will help us is the newbies who reserve second tier rides during primary hours. That will loosen up the headliners during peak times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
I'll address the bolded in a moment but focus on the rest of the post first. While I understand what you're saying (and it's very true), if Disney is going to offer FP+ to every park guest (and all indications suggest that will be the case), they need to assume every guest will use it even though only a fraction of these guests will.

The amount of guests who use standard FP vary from day-to-day thus leading us to believe that the same will be true with FP+ so it would be impossible for Disney to predict just how many guests will take advantage of FP+, and it seems like the last thing Disney wants with this system is a shortage of FP+s. In the early stages of this program, they are going to have to assume that every park guest will use all four FP+s even though that will, most likely, not be the case. Hope you see what I'm trying to say.

I guess it really just depends on how much research Disney has put into FP in a given day. They very well could have data that indicates the number of fastpasses a given park admission redeems per day. Maybe that's not applicable to every single other day of the year, but it may be for the same day the following year.

I suppose it's possible that the new system could encourage guests who have never thought about planning for Disney to do so. However, unless they're willing to put a little extra time in, I doubt they'll do the best job at booking said FPs.

As per capacity...it's been indicated/rumored that they're going to add viewing locations for parades and fireworks to the pool, which should bump up the numbers for each park. Yeah, those of us around here will know not to book those....but first time guests could think that's the best possible thing for them to do. I'm constantly astounded by the number of people who are obsessed with booking the Dessert Party at the Magic Kingdom, when pretty much all the reviews have said that viewing space at the railing is limited.

Finally, right now FP+ and regular FP ARE operating alongside one another. I think it will be impossible to tell how FP+ will affect daily touring until it's operating alone. Maybe they're trying to figure out the absolute maximum they'll be able to deal with? Also, most of the people who are trying FP+ now are probably going to be the people who knew something about the system beforehand, so maybe there are fewer no shows than Disney expected? They can also get FPs through both systems, so it's entirely possible that they have double of what they'd end up with while either system was operating alone.

I guess we'll see what happens in the next few weeks.... I do hope I can have reasonable expectations in time for my trip in April.

ETA: There also may be a power of suggestion element. When booking FPs 30 days out, if a certain park already has a large percentage of FPs booked, the computer could suggest that you go to a different park that has less FPs booked for that day. It would certainly be more effective than going to one park first and "leaving if it felt crowded." You would know in advance that FP was already close to capacity, and thus the park was likely to be more crowded with planners.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: