Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #151
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by finedice View Post
Even 5 minutes before the reservation is enough to get it gobbled up...
But the fact that the slot eventually gets used does not prevent AP holders from booking many slots over and over throughout the year on the off chance they might use them, just to have them in case the weather is nice and they decide to head for the parks. It really could mess with the system in a big way. I suppose they could put a limit like not allowing them to hold more than X days worth at a time????? Otherwise it will turn into the ADR system, pre CC hold.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #152
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by finedice View Post
Agreeing with you both. However, that's not going to happen
Still a great sentiment worth repeating though.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #153
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
Since Robo hasn't said it yet, I will. Just leave the FP system, the heck, alone.
He has said it.... More than once....

Too bad that does not seem to be an option
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #154
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
But the fact that the slot eventually gets used does not prevent AP holders from booking many slots over and over throughout the year on the off chance they might use them, just to have them in case the weather is nice and they decide to head for the parks. It really could mess with the system in a big way. I suppose they could put a limit like not allowing them to hold more than X days worth at a time????? Otherwise it will turn into the ADR system, pre CC hold.
Again, the patent application for the system mentioned that the system will be set up so that if a guest isn't using their appointment times, they are "punished" by not being allowed to make more appointments in the future. I'm sure that wouldn't be indefinite, but this system is collecting massive amounts of information about each guest that is going to allow them to build models to predict who is and isn't going to use their appointment times. It's like actuarial science, but for amusement parks. The patent application talks about the ability for Disney to create customized touring plans for each guest, based on a ton of information, including information collected from the guest, and guest behavior during prior visits. It also talks about freeing up spots on rides and in shows if data indicates that a guest is going to miss an appointment time. Remember with all this, Disney will be tracking your location in the park with its RFID scanners. If you have a 12:00 appointment for Space but you're standing in the queue of Splash at 11:50, they know that you're going to miss your Space appointment and will "release" it, which then free up a spot to standby rider, or will allow the Guest Management System to send a notification to another guest who has a Space appointment at 12:30 but is exiting Buzz at 11:50 that--SURPRISE! They get to get in the line early.

Like I said, the patent applications are fascinating and paint the picture of a much more dynamic system than I had imagined. I think the problem is that we are so married to the current FP system that it's hard to imagine something that's so radically different. This isn't going to be just FP with a fancy bracelet, or FP with the ability to make ride reservations ahead of time, but a whole new crowd control system that is going to change the way guests experience the park. That is, if the system actually does what the Imagineers have imagined it will do.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #155
AustinTink
Gonna dye till the day I die

Are you only eligible for fastpass plus if you book your room directly through Disney? I just found a good rate through a third party online.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #156
Elandon
Earning My Ears

I just don't see how this is going to work for first time guests. No matter how smart disney's technology is, it won't be able to predict whether or not a 6 year old girl will want to ride BTMRR once she actually sees it in person. Part of the fun of disney is discovering things at the parks. It's why we surprise our loved ones with trips or special magical extras. It's why we love the little bit of pixie dust that CMs sometimes create. It's bad enough that you can't satisfy a craving for cheddar soup that develops as you walk past Le Cellier on a cool evening. I would hate to see that happen to attractions as well.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #157
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTink View Post
Are you only eligible for fastpass plus if you book your room directly through Disney? I just found a good rate through a third party online.
It appears that FP+ will be available for ALL guests.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:04 AM   #158
AustinTink
Gonna dye till the day I die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
It appears that FP+ will be available for ALL guests.
Sorry, I'm playing catch-up with all the fastpass+ information. I guess I was asking about the ability to pre-choose online ahead of time. I thought that was only for on-property guests. Everyone else will receive an rfid card upon admission and do their selections same day, right? I'm so confused!!!

We are actually staying on-property at Universal (shhh!!!) and driving in to MK a couple of days to see the new fantasyland. My boy is 14 now and prefers Universal at this point.

I was thinking it would be worth doing a split-stay if fastpass+ is already in place. I would feel like we were at a disadvantage showing up without any ride fastpasses, when all the on-property guests were stocked and pre-loaded so to speak. I really don't get how this will be fair to the masses staying off Disney property.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:51 AM   #159
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTink
Sorry, I'm playing catch-up with all the fastpass+ information. I guess I was asking about the ability to pre-choose online ahead of time. I thought that was only for on-property guests. Everyone else will receive an rfid card upon admission and do their selections same day, right? I'm so confused!!!
Of course like everything on this thread, nothing is known for sure until it is fully implemented and even then it is subject to change.

That said, based on the info that has been leaked all guests would receive 3 (or possibly 4) FP+ that they can pre-choose, up to 60 days in advance. It shouldn't matter if you are on property or not. Now will be the case when it is when FP+ is up and running for all, who knows?

These threads are like car accidents, you don't want to see what's in them, but you click anyways!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #160
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandon View Post
I just don't see how this is going to work for first time guests. No matter how smart disney's technology is, it won't be able to predict whether or not a 6 year old girl will want to ride BTMRR once she actually sees it in person. Part of the fun of disney is discovering things at the parks. It's why we surprise our loved ones with trips or special magical extras. It's why we love the little bit of pixie dust that CMs sometimes create. It's bad enough that you can't satisfy a craving for cheddar soup that develops as you walk past Le Cellier on a cool evening. I would hate to see that happen to attractions as well.
I guess I don't see how that's any different from the way things are now? The 6 year old's distaste for roller coasters won't necessarily stop her parents from running off for FPs as soon as they get into the park. They might think that by the time their return time rolls around, the child will be open to riding it.

It actually has potential to give those people more options, because there is supposed to be room for them to cancel and/or change FPs based on the availability at the time. If you get a FP now, you're stuck with it no matter what. Yeah, it may be frustrating to plan out your "perfect" day 60 days in advance and have something change it once you get to the park, but that's pretty much a guarantee when you travel with kids anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
These threads are like car accidents, you don't want to see what's in them, but you click anyways!
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
Old 02-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #161
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtowntoflorida View Post
Again, the patent application for the system mentioned that the system will be set up so that if a guest isn't using their appointment times, they are "punished" by not being allowed to make more appointments in the future.
My thought is not that the AP holders would make a bunch of FP+ reservations and not show up. My thought is that they would "hold" them until close to that date then cancel them before they would be considered a no show. Just like many have done both before CC holds on ADRs and even since them. I'm still utterly AMAZED at the number of people who post on the ADR cancellation threads that they are releasing an Ohana ADR for every night of a given week. They book every single nght of their vacation until closer to the trip when they finalize their plans. They only release them ahead of time now because there is a penalty if they don't.

Maybe the system would recoginze that too, but no matter what the line is, you can bet people will work it and do everything they can just short of the point where they would incur some sort of penalty.

I'm not saying at all that AP holders should be limited in what they can book. I'm just saying that there is big time potential for abuse, and it will be interesting to see how Disney deals with that.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #162
gwmort
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
The mere fact that FP+ users will not be able to use the current FP machines does not mean that they will not be able to obtain same-day virtual FPs.
THIS

There is a semantic error spread through this thread where people are treating same day in park fp+'s as regular fp- and saying they will use both systems. The new system allows for some prebooked fp+'s and it appears they will also allow you to get some more day of in the park. That does not mean you will get regular fp-'s day of in the park, it is a different system.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #163
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
THIS

There is a semantic error spread through this thread where people are treating same day in park fp+'s as regular fp- and saying they will use both systems. The new system allows for some prebooked fp+'s and it appears they will also allow you to get some more day of in the park. That does not mean you will get regular fp-'s day of in the park, it is a different system.
It doesn't matter HOW someone gets their FP. I just think the ease of reserving them in advance will increase demand. Any time you remove a barrier (like having to hoof it across the park) you get more participation. I also think Disney will be emailing people encouraging them to book their FPs. If they are confused, they will offer quick picks.

I just think there won't be enough capacity to offer all those pre-booked FPs and same day FPs. No matter whether they get them on a slip of paper at a kiosk, or with a touch of your finger on a smart phone. Yes, I know adding FP for parades, shows, fireworks and attractions that never needed FP will help. But I'm not talking about those things. I'm talking about things that actually NEED FP. What people want are FPs for E ticket rides. And I just don't think there will be enough.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #164
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It doesn't matter HOW someone gets their FP. I just think the ease of reserving them in advance will increase demand. Any time you remove a barrier (like having to hoof it across the park) you get more participation. I also think Disney will be emailing people encouraging them to book their FPs. If they are confused, they will offer quick picks.

I just think there won't be enough capacity to offer all those pre-booked FPs and same day FPs. No matter whether they get them on a slip of paper at a kiosk, or with a touch of your finger on a smart phone. Yes, I know adding FP for parades, shows, fireworks and attractions that never needed FP will help. But I'm not talking about those things. I'm talking about things that actually NEED FP. What people want are FPs for E ticket rides. And I just don't think there will be enough.
I agree. Not to mentioned that Disney as yet to official state that there will be FP+'s the day of.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #165
golf4miami
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Eloquently put and I agree. Not to mention the fact that they will have to create FPs for rides that never had FP before so that everyone gets a FP for at least something means that now instead of getting on in the order you show up for rides such as: Pirates, It's a Small World, Barnstormer, etc will now have extended Stand By wait times because they will have to accommidate all of those FPs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: