Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Cwilson
Earning My Ears

Attn: PLANNING EXPERTS!

Hello all!
I am trying to plan our 2nd family trip to Disney. This will be our last one for a while, so I don't want to give up on things I really want (i.e.: park hoppers), but need to find the most bang for our buck. We are a family of 4.. DS will be 2 at the time of the trip and DD 9. We are looking to go for 6 nights/7 days, preferably the first week in June. DH wants me to keep it close to $2,000 for hotel, park tickets, and dining plan. EEK?! Doable? Not? Need advice and guidance to make this trip happen!!!
'97 - Offsite
'01 - All Star Movies
'08 - All Star Sports
'11 - Caribbean Beach Resort
'12 - Offsite
Cwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Paging Tom Morrow
DIS Veteran

Use an experienced travel agent. Dreams Unlimited agents can work wonders. Give them a call, you will be impressed.
Boardwalk Villas - 2006, 2012
Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa - 2009, 2013
Contemporary Resort - 2002
Yacht Club - 2004
Walt Disney Swan - 2005
Old Key West - 2012, 2014, 2015
Grand Floridian Resort and Spa - 2014
Paging Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Your looking at around 1000.00 for tickets alone

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwilson
Hello all!
I am trying to plan our 2nd family trip to Disney. This will be our last one for a while, so I don't want to give up on things I really want (i.e.: park hoppers), but need to find the most bang for our buck. We are a family of 4.. DS will be 2 at the time of the trip and DD 9. We are looking to go for 6 nights/7 days, preferably the first week in June. DH wants me to keep it close to $2,000 for hotel, park tickets, and dining plan. EEK?! Doable? Not? Need advice and guidance to make this trip happen!!!
$2000 for flight, hotel, tickets, food? Do you have to stay on-site? Do you want to have 3 meals a day? Do you prefer table service?

While I think it's doable, I think you will have to make choices on what is really important. 6 nights at the All-star music with 5 day park hoppers is just under $2k. So none of your travel or food expenses are in that figure.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
ShariVT
DIS Veteran

2558 at pop with 5 day hoppers and quick service dinning plan
2831 at pop with 5 day hoppers and reg dinning plan
If you are willing to stay off site and will have a car there are many other options that will reduce the cost.

ShariVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Cwilson
Earning My Ears

A few things of note.. We live about 8 hours from Orlando, so we will be driving.. I am looking at staying onsite and park tickets. It's looking like we might have to fore-go the dining plan and pack a cooler daily. I'm okay with doing that if it means we get to go! So far it's looking like ASM might be our best option. I'd love to stay at a moderate, but I guess I can't be too picky with our budget.
'97 - Offsite
'01 - All Star Movies
'08 - All Star Sports
'11 - Caribbean Beach Resort
'12 - Offsite
Cwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

Ditto pp -- start with a travel agent, an experienced one, and see what kind of packages you can get. That's your best bet. I'd probably also look to do at least one meal in your room (think cereal). Driving you can also augment with snacks and stuff so even though that means hauling around a lot, it's better than shelling out a ton of money for snacks.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwilson View Post
A few things of note.. We live about 8 hours from Orlando, so we will be driving.. I am looking at staying onsite and park tickets. It's looking like we might have to fore-go the dining plan and pack a cooler daily. I'm okay with doing that if it means we get to go! So far it's looking like ASM might be our best option. I'd love to stay at a moderate, but I guess I can't be too picky with our budget.
I think skipping the dining is the best option for a low-budget trip.

Since you are driving you can stock up on groceries for the room. You can either rent a fridge or bring a cooler (or both). We have never packed a cooler for the parks, but we also always return to the room for a few hours in the afternoon. So we eat breakfast in the room (or rather, on the way to the bus stop), and then have food in the room during our midday break and at night. We have also brought snacks into the parks (whole or dried fruit, carrots, nuts, pretzels, and pbjs shaped with special cutters).

Another major money saver is if you will just drink water in the parks. We use a hydration backpack and refill with free ice water. We save the other drinks-- juice, soda, beer-- for when we're back at the resort.

When the kids were younger we usually got about one CS per person per day. We only bought adult meals and would share two or three among the 5 of us maybe twice a day. (Ex. sharing two orders of corn dog nuggets at MK around 11am and then three meals at Epcot later that evening) With snacking around all day this was plenty of food for us.

Also, the resorts have whole pizzas for a reasonable price (maybe $13?) that could work for a late night meal.
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
damiel
DIS Veteran

IMHO I would consider staying off site and eating meals in the park over staying on site and packing a cooler. If you stay off site you could eat breakfast at your hotel/condo. If you are reallly stuck on staying onsite I would consider staying 5 or 6 days to free up some money.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

When my kids were young we found we could share counter service meals real easy to save money. Purchase two adult meals and then have your kids share. Even today at Pizza planet we purchase less individual pizza's then we have people and we always are just fine.

All stars 6 nights/7days plus 6 day about $1,900

So, if your driving I think you might need to up your budget a couple hundred dollars for food.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Hello all!
Quote:
Even with the current discount, you're looking at $1700-$1900 for a value resort standard location room and 6-day base tickets for 3 people. That doesn't leave much for gas, tolls, food and tips.

If you want to stick to the budget that your husband set, you will have to look into staying offsite. As 4Hppycampers pointed out, half of your budget is going to be consumed by tickets.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
Ourdisneytrip13
Earning My Ears

I think you should check bookit.com.... I was able to find ASM for 750 including tax. Priceline is offering the special on tickets....buy 3 days get 2 free. That would come to roughly 1600! Leaving 400 for food budget. I like the idea of taking a break during the day and going back to resort and swimming and eating there. If you eat breakfast and lunch in maybe you could do just dinner out. Keeping my fingers crossed for you sis!
Ourdisneytrip13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
arihillfarm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hello all!
I'm getting $2,096 for first week of June, 6 nights, 7 day base tickets and QS dining plan at ASMusic on the Disney TA website. You can drop one or two days off of your tickets (unless you think you'll really be able to make good use of your arrival and departure days) to save some more. To add hopping will be $182 more so I always suggest to start without hopper tickets and then if you decide while you are there that you really want hoppers, go ahead and pay for the upgrade at that time. Sometimes, if you go through the first 2-3 days without using the hopper option, it doesn't seem as "worth it" to add it for the remaining days. With 7 day tickets and QS dining (so no park plans tied to ADRs), I think you'd be able to see most of what you wanted without the hassle of hopping to another park with a toddler.

Edited to add that if Music is not to your liking, for $55 more for the week, you can stay at Pop!

-Astrid

Last edited by arihillfarm; 02-20-2013 at 10:18 AM.
arihillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
arihillfarm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourdisneytrip13 View Post
I think you should check bookit.com.... I was able to find ASM for 750 including tax. Priceline is offering the special on tickets....buy 3 days get 2 free. That would come to roughly 1600! Leaving 400 for food budget. I like the idea of taking a break during the day and going back to resort and swimming and eating there. If you eat breakfast and lunch in maybe you could do just dinner out. Keeping my fingers crossed for you sis!
That rate is actually higher than what you can get through Disney unless you quoted a preferred room. Disney is showing Music as $744 with tax for 6 nights and the Priceline special on tickets is still higher than what you can book directly with Disney or through a TA. Room only and 5 day base tickets together are $1501 with tax.

In most cases, you will get the better deal booking with Disney or a TA going through Disney when there is a special running. The only time I look elsewhere is if Disney is sold out for a certain resort on a certain day. I'm usually still able to get a room through a consolidator that has purchased a block at that resort and those work well for pre and post night stays but sometimes it's a few dollars more.

-Astrid

Last edited by arihillfarm; 02-20-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #15
arihillfarm
Mouseketeer

Sorry, double post!!

-Astrid

Last edited by arihillfarm; 02-20-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: