Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!
 
TheRatPack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 5,346

Wonder & Concierge Roy Suite Questions

A few questions from a 1st time cruiser:
1)The Wonder doesn't have the Aquaduck, does it have anything similar in 'fun' level for the kids?
2)The Wonder ship doesn't have a Concierge lounge? So no free drinks or happy hours?
3)Does the Wonder not have any kind of private deck, pool or anything? So it's just really a higher level room with the same amenities as other guest on board?
4)Can you order room service from the onboard restaurants or is that only for the newer ships? And if you are allowed, what is the average cost for a nice dinner delivered via room service?

We can't fit in a Royal Concierge on one of the newer ships, so a Royal on the older ships is the only choice we have if we want to experience the Royal suites......just had a higher expectation from reading the forums but then realized that most of the praise about the Royal suites was pertaining to the newer ships .
__________________

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran
 
cruisecrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,946

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPack View Post
A few questions from a 1st time cruiser:
1)The Wonder doesn't have the Aquaduck, does it have anything similar in 'fun' level for the kids?
2)The Wonder ship doesn't have a Concierge lounge? So no free drinks or happy hours?
3)Does the Wonder not have any kind of private deck, pool or anything? So it's just really a higher level room with the same amenities as other guest on board?
4)Can you order room service from the onboard restaurants or is that only for the newer ships? And if you are allowed, what is the average cost for a nice dinner delivered via room service?

We can't fit in a Royal Concierge on one of the newer ships, so a Royal on the older ships is the only choice we have if we want to experience the Royal suites......just had a higher expectation from reading the forums but then realized that most of the praise about the Royal suites was pertaining to the newer ships .

1). There's the Mickey pool slide, but no Aquaduck
2). No lounge, although they do leave free snacks and treats in the concierge suites.
3). Again, no lounge or pool
Concierge perks you aren't factoring in include shoreside concierge (guarantees reservations for spa, adult dining and port adventures), priority boarding, priority tenders, free water bottles and soda cans stocked in the room fridge, concierge will bring you tickets for tastings or anything else that you would handle through the guest services desk, such as items to get signed, tip adjustments, etc. separate waiting area in terminal.
4). Yes. Included although I'd tip the waiter. Royal suite can even order in Palo.
__________________
Lorelei (Lori); DH, Ben/KetchAggie; DS7, Chris (gluten); DD5, Kylee(dairy)
My Trip Reports can be found on my blog:
Adventures in the Great Wide Somewhere (My Blog on all things DCL, Food Allergy and Pixie Dust Related)
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
Gigi22
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,536

You may want to check the tread titled, "Wait for the 'new' Wonder", currently below this one.

I haven't had the pleasure of sailing in a Walt/Roy suite, but I have sailed in a 1 bedroom concierge suite. OP, as some of your questions are more generic, I will answer what I can.

1. No Aquaduck as yet.

2. No Concierge lounge on either the Wonder or the Magic. No free drinks/happy hours. There is a private party with refreshments and attendance by ship's officers and a Disney character that all concierge guests may attend. Your cabin is supplied with canned sodas and mineral water. (I think that these may be replenished if you are in the Roy/Walt). There is also a private welcome aboard meeting with concierge and spa personnel where you get a snack and beverages.

3. No private deck/pool. Your cabin does have extensive verandah space.

4. You can order a full dinner from one of the MDRs, your concierge will supply you with the menu and explain how to call in your order. You can also order dinner from Palo. You can also order breakfast from room service on disembarkation day, which is really convenient. For a complete 3 course meal for two adults from one of the MDRs, plus wine, I usually tipped Room Service $20-$30.

As concierge guests, you are entitled to be among the first to board the ship, just after the Family of the Day. You also are entitled to priority tendering in ports, at least to get off the ship.

Your concierge hosts will deliver a daily treat to your cabin, you get 'free' popcorn for the movies, you get first crack at scheduling spa/cabanas/Palo, concierge will help you with scheduling and problem solving during your cruise, at the end of the cruise you get a print from a Disney animation.
__________________
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx
Gigi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

One point....even the Dream and Fantasy don't have a private pool for concierge guests. A lot of the NCL ships do, though.

Since you'd be in the Roy or Walt, concierge will bring you all the sodas and snacks you could ever want. You'll have a "butler's pantry" with an extra fridge, and you can bring your own alcohol. You have a huge dining room and bar, and you can make your own private "lounge".

I just don't see the huge plus to the private sundeck. Without a pool, it's just too hot to sit out there for long, anway.

The lines for the Aquaduck are atrocious, and there are plenty of other things to keep the kids busy.

I LOVE the older ships, and hate the fact that they'll be changing them. The biggest plus, as you mentioned, was more being able to sleep the whole family in one room, and they've taken that away from the new ships, forcing people to pay for two rooms. I'm glad my kids are grown and I don't have to do that anymore.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!
 
TheRatPack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 5,346

Thanks.....kind of bummed at the lack of free drinks though . My husband likes to enjoy a drink in the evening and he's not a water drinker....LOL. I've seen such great stories of freezers filled with Mickey bars, and Happy Hours, jacuzzi's on the deck and stuff and then realized that the older ships don't have any of this

We're celebrating our 20th anniversary so I just wanted something fun and above our normal Pop Century value level experience (even though we really are 'value' people LOL). We're booked, so no turning back now LOL
__________________

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!
 
TheRatPack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 5,346

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
One point....even the Dream and Fantasy don't have a private pool for concierge guests. A lot of the NCL ships do, though.

Since you'd be in the Roy or Walt, concierge will bring you all the sodas and snacks you could ever want. You'll have a "butler's pantry" with an extra fridge, and you can bring your own alcohol. You have a huge dining room and bar, and you can make your own private "lounge".

I just don't see the huge plus to the private sundeck. Without a pool, it's just too hot to sit out there for long, anway.

The lines for the Aquaduck are atrocious, and there are plenty of other things to keep the kids busy.

I LOVE the older ships, and hate the fact that they'll be changing them. The biggest plus, as you mentioned, was more being able to sleep the whole family in one room, and they've taken that away from the new ships, forcing people to pay for two rooms. I'm glad my kids are grown and I don't have to do that anymore.
Thank you for putting a positive spin on it . We'll only be on a 4 night cruise so I could bring a 6 pack and my DH would be fine , I just was hoping for a lounge that could do simple mixed drinks or slushes....etc. I guess there is an online bar and we can just purchase those.

We pay for 2 rooms when we vacation at WDW, and hated to do that on a cruise as well.....so we upgraded. I know we'll have fun, it's quite the expense for 4 nights, when we usually spend this much on 8 nights at WDW LOL. I'm trying to book something new for our anniversary though, since we go to WDW yearly a Disney Cruise seemed the next step up.
__________________

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 717

We were in that specific cabin a few years ago on the Wonder. We did leave the cruise thinking the only reason to book it again is specifically for the space. It is much more segregated in its living areas than the newer ships. Do not get me wrong, we would book it again, but just do not have super high expectations about the amenities. Your concierge will keep a close eye on you to make sure all is well. Nevertheless, and being completely truthful, we almost convinced ourselves never to book a royal suite again after the Wonder. It just seemed like a couple connecting cabins would be just as comfortable.

DWF
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!
 
TheRatPack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 5,346

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun View Post
We were in that specific cabin a few years ago on the Wonder. We did leave the cruise thinking the only reason to book it again is specifically for the space. It is much more segregated in its living areas than the newer ships. Do not get me wrong, we would book it again, but just do not have super high expectations about the amenities. Your concierge will keep a close eye on you to make sure all is well. Nevertheless, and being completely truthful, we almost convinced ourselves never to book a royal suite again after the Wonder. It just seemed like a couple connecting cabins would be just as comfortable.

DWF

Thanks .....we'll try it this year. As our 5 children grow older and move out, our options open up a little more on travel LOL. Soon we'll be able to fit in the suites on the DCL no matter the ship....but right now we can only fit in the older ships suites, unless we go with the two connecting. I figured we'd go royal for our first cruise.....but not as 'big' as the Dream or Fantasy Suites (wouldn't fit anyway) but those are WAY out of our price range with 4 children traveling with us.

While I'm a Disney lover through and through, as is my oldest daughter. Everyone else needs a little bit of coaxing.....so I'm trying to find out things on the Wonder that everyone will be excited about. My husband likes the idea of lounging by the pool and having a drink or two, so I thought I'd tempt him with the concierge drinks....but that won't work on the Wonder LOL. The Aquaduck is out, as is a freezer full of Mickey bars LOL.

I wish they had DCL videos about each ship. My kids see these things on the planning DVDs and then you have to explain to them that we don't get to do that LOL. I did book the double dip Castaway Cay trip though.....so that's gotta be fun, right?
__________________

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

There is no concierge pool on any DCL ship, if your husband wanted "free" drinks—which are ONLY during happy hour right before dinner or the show, he'd have to go to the lounge and come back every time. Much easier to use the money you're not spending on (IMHO) the inflated prices for concierge on the newer ships and purchase drinks at the pool. I know I couldn't drink enough to make up the price difference, LOL! And I'd never use a sun deck without a pool; for me that was a huge design flaw for "new" concierge.

I would take a Royal on the Magic and Wonder over the Dream and Fantasy any day. And Mickey bars can be had from room service 24-7, plus you still get all the other dining perks, including Palo. We've been on the Wonder four times and love her dearly. Last cruise was two weeks and I could have stayed on her longer. You will have a wonderful time, especially with all your children together with you for this special occasion.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
__________________
Me DH DD (5) DS (2)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
mybeachbabies
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 263

We also have 4 children so we understand the frustration of not all fitting in one room. We usually book 2 connecting staterooms which works out fine but is pricey because 2 of our kids end up being charged as adults that way. When we were on the Pacific Coast cruise on the Wonder, we were able to upgrade to the Roy Suite. We loved all of the space. The separate room with the 4 beds was great for the kids and DH and I had our own sleeping space. The biggest perk for us was the space and the free popcorn, free water bottles, and cans of Coke products. We did get treats every day and they offered us cookies and Mickey bars. We got a few free arcade cards and the kids got some cool gifts but I think that was because there was a bit of an issue with the upgrade so they were trying to make up for that issue. We intended on ordering Palo to our room, but every time we thought about it, it was after the cut-off order time so we never did. Since we upgraded at port, we had already made all of our own reservations for the spa, palo, etc. so we didn't get the benefit of the shoreside concierge. I could see how that would be handy, especially if it was on the East Coast and the ship stopped at Castaway so you could book a cabana.

For us, we thought the perks really weren't worth the extra cost. If we could upgrade at port again (since it is substantially cheaper) we may consider it otherwise we will stick with connecting verandah rooms. I would love to try the Royal suites on the Dream or Fantasy so we could have a hot tub on the verandah but the cost is so prohibitive especially since our family of 6 would need the Royal suite plus an additional concierge room to fit us all and that cost would be just crazy.

The Wonder is a great ship. We love it as much as the newer ships. Sure it would be nice if it had an Aquaduck or Aqualab, but the smaller size means more attentive dinner service, less crowds, etc.

I hope you have a great cruise!
__________________
Amanda - DH Robert, DS (12), DD (10), DS (6) and DS (4).

Dream 11/6/11 ~ Wonder MR 3/18/12 ~ Wonder Pacific Coast 10/7/12 ~ Fantasy Eastern 6/15/13 ~ Wonder San Diego 5/17/14 ~ Fantasy Western 6/7/14
mybeachbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
quarkwright
Mouseketeer
 
quarkwright's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Strathmore, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybeachbabies View Post
We got a few free arcade cards and the kids got some cool gifts but I think that was because there was a bit of an issue with the upgrade so they were trying to make up for that issue.
Wonder has an arcade? I thought that was only on Dream and Fantasy?
__________________
Disney Wonder Sept 8-12 2014 Vancouver to San Diego

Not sure when the next one will be yet, but can't wait to cruise again!
quarkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkwright View Post
Wonder has an arcade? I thought that was only on Dream and Fantasy?
What made you think that?

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sh...arter-masters/

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sh...arter-masters/

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
__________________
Me DH DD (5) DS (2)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
4GreeneBeans
Earning My Ears
 
4GreeneBeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1

Which one ?!

My family of five would like to take a cruise in 2014. The kids love Disney and I think the cruise would be great for the whole family. Aside from trying to pick the right time of year. I've been trying to decide between a concierge or family deluxe room. I'm leaning towards the the concierge for the benefit of my husband and I. The private lounge and stocked fridge in the room is a bonus. However,I'm wondering if the 1 bedroom will be roomy enough for my two little ones 4 and9 and13.
4GreeneBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
drnp
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 43

1 BR suites on Wonder

Can you request the fridge to be stocked with certain sodas ahead of time in a 1 BR suite on the Wonder? My kids only drink Ginger Ale and my DW likes Coke Zero. Is there a freezer in the room to request some Mickey ice cream bars be pre-stocked?
drnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Greater Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,675

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GreeneBeans View Post
My family of five would like to take a cruise in 2014. The kids love Disney and I think the cruise would be great for the whole family. Aside from trying to pick the right time of year. I've been trying to decide between a concierge or family deluxe room. I'm leaning towards the the concierge for the benefit of my husband and I. The private lounge and stocked fridge in the room is a bonus. However,I'm wondering if the 1 bedroom will be roomy enough for my two little ones 4 and9 and13.
Many people sleep 5 in an Category 4/Category V (same size, one has concierge location and decor). A Cat T is double the space at about 600 sq ft. You will have plenty of room for your family, but I'm not sure if the sleeping configuration will work for you. You'll have to determine that.

I'm not sure what the 1 bedroom suites have as far as a "stocked fridge? From what I recall having visited one they have a mini-fridge like all staterooms. The large "stocked" fridge/freezer combo is available in the kitchen of the Royal suites.
__________________
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

106 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.