Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #31
m&mfamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressMerryweather View Post
If the crew confirmed the bug was a bedbug, why did you allow them to keep you in those rooms? I know you said that they would split you up, but I would have made the biggest stink possible. There were other rooms, I'm sure. A suite, anything. They just didn't want to do anything. If they didn't do anything, I would have started telling everyone I saw that the crew confirmed a bedbug was in my cabin and I would have persisted ALL.DAY.LONG.
This is not something to play around with. These things ruin people's lives and cost them thousands and thousands of dollars. I would not have accepted anything less then new rooms or a refund. Unacceptable.
I agree with you... I called them all day on Tuesday. I finally got a response that night and that's when they offered the one room. He said the ship was completely full and sold out expect this one room. Wednesday we went about our day and enjoyed CC. It was that night we found another one. That was the night we went down to gs.
m&mfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #32
mandykaye
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&mfamily

The bugs were in 7534...we had 7534 and 7536.
All 3 rooms? Just one in each room
mandykaye is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #33
m&mfamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandykaye

All 3 rooms? Just one in each room
We had two rooms. The bugs were in 7534.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #34
CrystalSpice
Earning My Ears

I'm so sorry this experience happened! Bedbugs are NASTY! It happened to us at a WDW resort a few years ago. Of course, the situation is not the same as on a cruise where you are pretty much "stuck" on ship with limited room options (if the ship is full).

We made a fuss and were moved and our belongings dry-cleaned. And while our trip was somewhat spoiled, the managers at the resort made a real effort (but the front desk staff didn't care). Our vacation ended well - despite the bedbugs.

When we returned I wrote a letter - explaining the situation but at the same time that some of the staff helped us. I also made it clear in this day of social media (Yelp, Facebook, Twitter) that I planned to let others know our experience and I doubted that I might ever go back to WDW.

Within a few DAYS, they called. We settled. So...

For anyone who has an issue with customer service, when you are back on land, write that letter to complain about your treatment. And let it be known (in a nice way) that you have every intention of publicizing your negative experience.

Disney *wants* repeat customers and letting your friends know how bad a time you had is NOT what they want. Word gets around, especially if you have a lot of Facebook friends or Twitter followers! Even if they don't respond at least it might make you feel better. I definitely did!
CrystalSpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #35
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

FYI about bedbugs - they look like flat apple seeds (black and oval), and they do not confine themselves to your room. They are known to travel through electrical sockets to other rooms above, below and next door. They would have to fumigate a square radius of rooms including above and below to stop them from traveling to other rooms in an effort to escape.

Don't put your luggage on the bed or rugs. Either use the luggage rack, or place your luggage on a tile floor away from material surroundings. Once home, leave the bags either in extreme heat for several days (wrapped in plastic if possible), or extreme cold, and then vacuum out the lining before bringing them into the main house.

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama; Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean; Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean;
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic 14-night Panama Canal; Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder 10 night Southern Caribbean; Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 14-night Transatlantic; Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal; Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West; May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton

January 2016 -- Wonder 7-night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan; February 2016 -- Wonder 5-night Repo from San Juan to Miami
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #36
Ccann
Mouseketeer

The only thing that concerns me is if it was indeed a bed bug those nasty boogers multiply fast and hundreds of thousands. Makes me wonder if other rooms have them.

Some people do not react to bed bug bites like others, and you would have to really look hard to find out if you have them in your room. It's gross to think about. I hope they spray the ship just incase.

I went on a college trip to the Galápagos Islands for college credit...awesome except I slept in the dinning area of our dinky boat. I thought I saw a roach in my bed actually several... So my light in my bed stayed on and I stayed away made for a long week... We were roughing it so in wasn't going to complain... We just stayed in tents in the middle of the jungle before going on the trip and going the bath room in ditches. Lol...

But paying for a relaxing worry free vacation I would pitch a fit and made them comp my rooms and charges if they didn't have another room for us to move into.
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #37
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

As to the reason of your daughter not being mentioned... Chances are she was listed in the other room with one adult. Since you had two rooms, only way would have been to list two kids and an adult on be room and the third kid an adult on the other.

Only way to deal with this knf of situation is in person at GS. Now, try to go via their social media to see if you get anywhere... Since it was presidents week, chances were pretty high the ship was full...

Good luck.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #38
LocaRoja
Mouseketeer

I'd say to just drop it. As you already said, you have a far greater experience with Disney that shows this is a one off. At least your cruise had power, working toilets, and cuisine beyond onion sandwiches!
LocaRoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #39
Bella29
Mouseketeer

This sounds so strange.... did you have a magnifying camera, how could you get a decent picture to identify it? Where did you find it? Did anyone in your family have any bites? If you slept in beds with bed bugs for several nights, I would think you would have been bitten, and I would think if there are 2 bugs found, there are many more in many beds. ugh, I sure hope that's not the case.
Bella29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #40
Bella29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
As to the reason of your daughter not being mentioned... Chances are she was listed in the other room with one adult. Since you had two rooms, only way would have been to list two kids and an adult on be room and the third kid an adult on the other.
that makes sense, though you'd think they could try a bit harder by looking at the full reservation - this isn't the first family of 5 to travel in connecting rooms. Anyone who talked to them knew they had 2 rooms, it's the reason they couldn't transfer to the other single room.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #41
Bella29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocaRoja View Post
I'd say to just drop it. As you already said, you have a far greater experience with Disney that shows this is a one off. At least your cruise had power, working toilets, and cuisine beyond onion sandwiches!
I see your point, and I'm a glass-half-full kind of gal myself. But I can't agree that this is going to become my standard for vacationing, I believe Disney has set the bar a bit higher and we can reasonably hold them to a higher standard than onion sandwiches.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #42
m&mfamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella29
This sounds so strange.... did you have a magnifying camera, how could you get a decent picture to identify it? Where did you find it? Did anyone in your family have any bites? If you slept in beds with bed bugs for several nights, I would think you would have been bitten, and I would think if there are 2 bugs found, there are many more in many beds. ugh, I sure hope that's not the case.
You cannot tell what kind of bug it is in the pictures my husband took. We found the first one on the first night before we went to bed. My husband moved the pillows around and saw it on the underside of one of the pillows. At first he thought it was a piece of dark lint or something...until it started moving. We never slept in the bed or stateroom the whole time. I hope this clears it up.

Last edited by m&mfamily; 02-18-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #43
m&mfamily
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE="m&mfamily"]
Old 02-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #44
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

I remember a long time ago there was a bed bug problem on one of the classics.

Does anyone remember "Black Light Barb"? She would bring a black light to check for bed bugs and funky stuff on comforters, sheets and couches. I miss her.

What's the difference from the bed bugs and fleas? I just googled and they look a bit the same. Can you spray anything before you sleep?

Thanks to the pp for explaining what to do when you bring your luggage home.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #45
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

There are a few products out there, that also come in travel sizes, that you can use in hotels and on ships. I also know that frequent overseas travelers use a lightweight sleeping bag-type thing, rather than sleep on the sheets. They sell those through sites like Magellan's.

http://www.sprayawaybedbugs.com/
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: