Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Jennifer16
Earning My Ears

Garden Grocer - Questions about produce

We have placed our order for an upcoming stay in March with Garden Grocer. It took much longer than we expected ... we are from Canada, so found it difficult to judge sizes and quantities that we would need. We are planning on cooking most of our meals (we are staying in a villa and have a full kitchen). After placing our order we are concerned about ordering the produce with them - wondering if it will be fresh etc. So now we are wondering if we should remove the produce items, and stop at a store on the way from the airport (we are using a private transportation company rather than Magical Express) to purchase these items ourselves?

Would really like some input from those who have used Garden Grocer for their produce ... is it fresh, good quality etc.

Oh ... and does anyone have any idea how many bananas would be in the 10lb order
Jennifer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
twodogs
Mouseketeer

We used GG for our produce and other groceries, and I was worried about the same thing. It was all beautiful and very fresh. I think I ordered strawberries and raspberries, which will show if they are old. No problems for us at all, and I am very picky.
twodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
kkmauch
"Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with facts!"

We have ordered produce many times. There was only one time we were slightly disappointed with one produce item. On a 5 night stay, we ordered bananas. They were fairly ripe on arrival and only lasted thru morning 3 before developing brown spots and getting very mushy. But all other produce (apples, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, pears, and mixed berries) has always been fresh and lasted as well or better than expected. We have used GG at least 8 times now.

Upcoming trips: October 2014 SSR
Recent trips: Aug 2013 CBR - Sep 2013 POR - Nov 2013 Pop - Mar 2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - May 2012 SSR-THV - Nov 2011 OKW GV and Disney Dream - Sep 2011 AS-Sports - Dec 2010 SSR - Oct 2009 POFQ
displansforyou.com - facebook.com/displansforyou
kkmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
mmmears
DIS Veteran

I have ordered fruit (including raspberries which are delicate) and been pleased with the quality and freshness.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
disneymath
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkmauch
We have ordered produce many times. There was only one time we were slightly disappointed with one produce item. On a 5 night stay, we ordered bananas. They were fairly ripe on arrival and only lasted thru morning 3 before developing brown spots and getting very mushy. But all other produce (apples, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, pears, and mixed berries) has always been fresh and lasted as well or better than expected. We have used GG at least 8 times now.
On the GG site you can actually order both yellow bananas and still green ones (i forget their term for it) ... for longer stays we order some of each.

We've used GG twice and will use them again. We were only disappointed in our tomatoes this past August ... they seemed more like winter quality that the fresh from the field ones we had been enjoying at home. They were still fine just not great.

We did find that their produce, especially fruit, was expensive this past trip ... but that could simply have been a reflection of the pricing in Orlando/Florida as opposed to an extra big markup.

disneymath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
kkmauch
"Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with facts!"

Yes. Be sure to order green bananas for linger stays (as we did). I am sure yours will be great!

Upcoming trips: October 2014 SSR
Recent trips: Aug 2013 CBR - Sep 2013 POR - Nov 2013 Pop - Mar 2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - May 2012 SSR-THV - Nov 2011 OKW GV and Disney Dream - Sep 2011 AS-Sports - Dec 2010 SSR - Oct 2009 POFQ
displansforyou.com - facebook.com/displansforyou
kkmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

If you are using a company that allows you a free 30 min grocery stop, that's what I would do. The only time I use a grocery delivery service is if I'm riding DME to my resort. That way, you save the delivery charge, you save the tip. Yes, you are spending an addlt 30 mins in the store.
I've used grocery delivery services before, and the vast majority of the time everything was fine. I just prefer to choose my own stuff, so I do it myself if using a car service.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I love Garden Grocer for the convenience and have used them several times but the one time we got salad produce, it was not fresh. The lettuce was wilted and the tomatoes were of poor quality. This could have been an issue with bell services not storing it immediately; I have no way of knowing.

Garden Grocer would have replaced if I had called (they have done that in the past) but I didn't want to bother with it this time.

I will still use them for other items but I will stop and get my own produce in the future if I'm going to be making a green salad.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: