Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #31
kcwiak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971

Do you have a SW airlines where you are? No change fees! I would book the flights if they are going up. If you spend hundreds more for flights than you needed to, doesn't that cancel out the FD? Just a thought..
SW has NO change fees? So I can really buy now and if FD or room discount does not mesh with the time we have booked, we can change everything? No extra money? I have never flown SW but this may be my new fav carrier!

Sept 2013 - 10 day Family Trip
Jan 2011 - 7 day Family Trip
1990-1998 - 50+ day and/or multi day trips
kcwiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #32
dadofgoofy
Mouseketeer

How about October

When do October discounts typically get released?
dadofgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #33
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwiak View Post
SW has NO change fees? So I can really buy now and if FD or room discount does not mesh with the time we have booked, we can change everything? No extra money? I have never flown SW but this may be my new fav carrier!
One (minor) catch on SWA. If you change your booking and you have extra money leftover (the new price is cheaper) then you get a credit that has to be used within 1 year. And not just SPENT within one year. You have to have a flight that occurs less than one year from the PURCHASE DATE of the original ticket.

However, barring that caveat, yeah there's no change fees. My personal take, if I see a price that's good on a date I MIGHT want to travel, I book it. If I need to change to a different date and the price is higher, I'm good.

SP

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #34
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

The end of June starts their busy season. I doubt there will be free dining. Late August/Sept things slow considerably as the kids are back in school.

As to if "free dining" is better for your family, it depends. My family does not stay in value and my family is two adults and 2 children. Typically, for us, a room discount is much better than free dining.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #35
kcwiak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
One (minor) catch on SWA. If you change your booking and you have extra money leftover (the new price is cheaper) then you get a credit that has to be used within 1 year. And not just SPENT within one year. You have to have a flight that occurs less than one year from the PURCHASE DATE of the original ticket.

However, barring that caveat, yeah there's no change fees. My personal take, if I see a price that's good on a date I MIGHT want to travel, I book it. If I need to change to a different date and the price is higher, I'm good.

SP
I spoke to SW and they said unless I bought the refundable ticket, I would have to pay the difference if the price is higher on the dates I want to change to. While that may not be a bad thing, I worry that I could find something cheaper at that time instead. Arg Disney!

Old 03-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #36
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

Quote:
I spoke to SW and they said unless I bought the refundable ticket, I would have to pay the difference if the price is higher on the dates I want to change to. While that may not be a bad thing, I worry that I could find something cheaper at that time instead. Arg Disney!
You pay the price difference, like you would with any airline, but they don't charge you a fee on top of it and if the price is lower, you do get a credit. Oh - and no baggage fees. I love SW.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #37
mom2faith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
You're better off with a room discount. Free dining is far from being free...
Comments like this make me very upset.

Free Dining is FREE. There is no hidden cost, no increased rate for other part of the packages, just FREE DINING.

There may be other discounts that work better for you, your family or your travel plans, but Free Dining is FREE.

I really do not understand why people say it is not.
mom2faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #38
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, for the most part. You would only pay(or get a credit) for the difference in the ticket cost, but yes, no charge to make the changes. For example: You book a flight for $100. Then you decide you need to change to a month from that date. The new ticket is $110. You would only pay the additional $10. If your new ticket was $90, then SW issues you a credit for the $10 that can be used on your next flight up to a year from your original booking date.

That is one reason we love SW. I have already rebooked my same flights for August a few times (again this morning and saved $84 more). It not only allows you to change if your plans change, you can take advantage of price drops without paying any fees.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #39
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post

SP
It was horrible. I rebooked flights last year and had a good credit. To make sure I didn't lose out, I had to go on vacation again.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #40
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Correct, if the price is higher, you have to pay the higher price. But that is no different than if you WAIT to buy the ticket.

And Southwest no longer gives out its best fares right when they open, unless its a popular flight that sells out quickly. You have to wait sometimes for the best rates.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #41
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadofgoofy View Post
When do October discounts typically get released?
July, usually.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #42
mom2taylorandemily
Not so patiently waiting our next trip to Disney....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeSeriously View Post
How is free dining "far from being free"? Even if there were a 30% room discount, I don't think it would be close the the amount I'm paying for our dining plans. Am I missing something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacation_junkie View Post
Far from true...

The regular dining plan for the 3 of us....Myself, DH & 12 yr old son is approx $165 a day ($55 a person approx) for the regular dining plan.

Moderate Resort- CBR $162 a night in January - 30% discount = $114 approx a night. Savings of approx $48.

Room discount would save us about $48 a night x 7 nights = $336.
Free dining would save us $165 a night x 7 nights = $1155.00
I would say Free dining is a MUCH , MUCH better promo/discount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandSx2 View Post
I am always wondering the same thing, but maybe they see something we don't? Or maybe the time of year makes a difference. I have only gone in September. I still think FREE Dining would be the best option for my family
See, I get all flustered when I read these kinds of posts too! We are a family of 4, me, DH, and 2 teen DDs which according to Disney is 4 adults. We always stay at a Moderate and use free dining.
$55 X 4 = $220 per day, so at 7 nights that's $1540

If I stay at POFQ in Aug. at 30% disc. and that's being generous, as they usually only get 15% there, I only save roughly $350 - $400 for the same 7 nights. So either my math is wrong or I'm saving a great deal more on Free Dining.

DH 60 Me 51 DD 17 DD 15
Sept. 1993 - offsite "1st Trip" / Oct. 1995 - offsite Honeymoon / Dec. 2006 - WL / Dec. 2007 - CBR / Dec. 2008 - CBR
Aug. 2009 - CBR / Dec. 2009 - POFQ / Aug. 2010 - CBR / Aug. 2011 - POR
Aug. 2012 - CBR~Emily's 13th!! Birthday / Dec. 2012 - CBR~Taylor's Sweet 16!!

Aug. 2013 - POFQ~Celebrating My 50th!!! / Aug. 2014 - CBR ~ No Kids!!
mom2taylorandemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #43
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

I would ask the moderators to move this to wherever the "free dining...I NEED IT!" Posts go.

Not to be a downer (but i am)...I get flustered when I see these threads at all...

Discounts should never be assumed...especially for completely optional activities like vacations (not that I am not in favor of vacations...I am... But just not high priced ones being demanded at lower price).

And I saw a "we're going for 10 Days...I need to know"

...I think prioritizing is in order...as it always is when discounts are viewed as entitlement.

Sorry to those that I'm sure I offended. But I may not be wrong.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #44
mickey2000
Pin trader

Last edited by mickey2000; 03-11-2013 at 10:10 PM.
mickey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #45
kcwiak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I would ask the moderators to move this to wherever the "free dining...I NEED IT!" Posts go.

Not to be a downer (but i am)...I get flustered when I see these threads at all...

Discounts should never be assumed...especially for completely optional activities like vacations (not that I am not in favor of vacations...I am... But just not high priced ones being demanded at lower price).

And I saw a "we're going for 10 Days...I need to know"

...I think prioritizing is in order...as it always is when discounts are viewed as entitlement.

Sorry to those that I'm sure I offended. But I may not be wrong.
I am not sure if I am the "we're going for 10 Days...I need to know" person but I assume so since I have stated that we are going for 10 days. If I said "I need to know" it was for plane tix sake. We are going for 10 days regardless (which I also stated). Just not going to buy tix if we have to change dates of vacation to save money. See regardless of how much money we earn, we still want to save money. Just like everyone in the world.

If you do not like the threads that say FREE DINING....do not open them. Easy as that. You stay unflustered by the threads and the people discussing them do not have to worry about some person who has a chip on their shoulder cutting them down for discussing something. Not surprised you are from NJ. Lived there all my life and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone like you.
Oh... "But sorry to those that I'm sure I offended. But I may not be wrong."

Last edited by kcwiak; 03-12-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: