Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

This is exactly why, when we took our granddaughters to Disney last year, we didn't go to any buffets. The 12 year old eats like a bird and the 14 year old doesn't each much for than that. I am sure that there are kids that eat way more than adults, but not these kids.

I know that I don't eat enough to have a buffet be worth it, but I appreciate the variety that some buffets offer, such as Boma.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #17
cruisin'Mike
Be thankful that I'M not the Tag Fairy!

That's the reason why we have done very few buffets for the last three years, even though I've missed Boma. My twins didn't eat enough to justify paying adult prices. This summer, they'll be nearly 14, and we're planning on a buffet or two. We'll see if it's worth it.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #18
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
Whether they SHOULD or not, there are 8 year olds who eat more than I do. No one is going to be happy with any particular age as the dividing line. Disney uses age 10 for all things 'adult'. Before you know it your 11 year old will turn into a bottomless pit, and then for a few years buffets will be your ONLY viable dining choice because otherwise you'd go broke feeding him.

And as it is, there are an equal number of complaints about the under-10s having to eat 'kids meals' choices when they want adult food at the non-buffet TS restaurants. Just choose the type of dining that works out best for your family.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #19
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry you got all the way to Boma's before you realized that your DS was an adult for dinner pricing. As PP have said, it is a well publicized fact and frequently debated here on the DIS.
I remember the junior pricing. I liked it and was sorry to see it go. But go it did. So now the decision is yours to make as to where you eat based on Disney pricing.
As already said, no one age cutoff will meet everyone's needs. We have seen many different examples on this thread, and on every thread about this.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #20
JeffreyY

The time this most bothered me was when my kids were over 10 and we went to HDDR, had to pay adult prices but they couldn't drink the achohol that was included and we paid for. Now I don't drink but at least I would have been allowed to, they of course were not. In that case I think there should have been a junior price for those 10 thru 20 who are not allowed to drink.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #21
chartle
DIS Veteran

For the the posts that want a different price for kids aged from x to y, that will never happen due to the the Dark Sith Lord that is the Disney Dining Plan.

While its easy to talk about tiered pricing for buffets, how does this work for normal meals?

Last edited by chartle; 02-19-2013 at 08:56 AM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #22
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyY View Post
The time this most bothered me was when my kids were over 10 and we went to HDDR, had to pay adult prices but they couldn't drink the achohol that was included and we paid for. Now I don't drink but at least I would have been allowed to, they of course were not. In that case I think there should have been a junior price for those 10 thru 20 who are not allowed to drink.
Whenever you do a Disney show or buffet the thing to keep in mind is a lot of what you are paying for is the show, or the characters.

To me, it would make more sense for HDDR to just have adults pay for an adult beverages they wanted to drink. Makes no more sense to charge a 21yr old for alcohol they don't drink that it does to charge a 18yr old.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #23
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

No matter where they put the cutoff, there are going to be those who are not satisfied. If they put it at 18 there will be those posting declaring that their 18 year old will only eat a bowl of salad and they shouldn't be paying the full price.

Why 10? Because that's where the ticket cutoff is, and with the dining plan an attempt is being made to link all that together, which will get carried further with the next generation system. For dining the cutoff used to be 13. But they lowered the dining age to match the tickets rather than raising the ticket age to match the dining.

As to why they won't remove money from the charge for guests at HDDR who don't drink, or guests at CRT or Akershus who don't want the photo package, that is the nature of an all-inclusive event. You pay one price and it includes everything - the show, the tip, the booze for HDDR, the photos at CRT. Any of that can be declined but the price won't change. Just like if you go on a cruise and you prefer not to eat lunch even though it's included - they won't remove the cost of lunch from your fare.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #24
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerMomO View Post
So we had dinner at Boma's last night and I realized we are paying for our 11 year old as an adult on the buffet. This frustrates me as he doesn't eat as much as an adult and he SHOULDN'T eat as much as an adult. Any thoughts out there on why Disney chooses to say a 10 year old is eating as an adult? It doesn't make sense to me. Especially since I am pretty sure nutrition guidelines would not say a 10 year old should be eating same portions as an adult. I love Boma's but suppose we won't bother going back until my son eats more like a teenager. LOL.
My oldest son is 8 and he plays Hockey. He is slim but muscley and yes he can out eat me. Sometimes he even has a third helping at dinner. I cant speak for all boys in all situations but I can say that sometimes my son eats a lot. I can only assume he puts it into his hollow leg.

Now if we got onto paying for how much we actually eat at the buffets, my family usually does breakfast buffets and sometimes there is very very little on plate especially for my almost 4 year old. He definitely does not eat 10.00 worth of food but it is what it is and I knew the rules before I made the reservations.
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #25
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

I've always assumed Disney sets the age for adult dining and park admission at 10 because they really want to catch 12 and over and they figure most parents will lie about their kid's age for a couple of years. Most parents are embarassed to try it for more than a couple of years and the kids start looking to old to get away with it!

So, set the age at 10, you get the adult prices for the 12 and over crowd.

Set the age at 12, you only get the adult price for the 14 and over crowd.

Of course, for those honest parents, Disney catches the kids at 10.

For us, we dislike buffets and all you can eat places so avoid them as much as possible. However, most of the character meals are set price buffets and all you can eat places so sometimes we had to break down and pay the price. But, I agree a full buffet price for a 10 year old is annoying to say the least. Our boys ate almost nothing until they hit the teen years.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #26
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

They've got to make a cutoff line somewhere. No matter where it is, it won't be ideal for every single family. That's just the nature of the beast.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #27
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I think 10 is a good age. Why? Because we see complaints from both sides - people with 9yos who aren't content with the choices and portions on the kids' menus and people with 10yos who are unhappy with the choices and portions of the adult menus. If all the complaints were on one side or the other it would reflect a need to rethink the age ranges, but the fact that they do come from both sides means that although there's no way to please everyone, Disney has hit a middle of the road point that suits the average.

If it is particularly problematic for your family, the best solution is to avoid fixed-price dining until your child's appetite catches up to his/her age. We do that often because my 11yo DD is a total waste at a buffet, though we'll book one or two from time to time because they suit my bottomless-pit 15yo and very adventurous 4yo (who I swear can out-eat her big sister) so well.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #28
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

I have not been to a buffet since they ended the junior priceing, 12 and under seemed fair, but 10 and under not willing to pay it. It is all a matter of perspective. I think the buffet pricese are just too high and I found my breaking point and have not been to one since. There are plenty of other choices and jsut dont' do any Buffets or AYCTE places.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #29
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

According to the USDA and many other sites, a nonactive boy aged 9-13 should be eating about 1800 calories per day. This is nearly what a grown nonactive woman needs to eat to maintain her weight (2000 kcals for 19-30). Yes, this is about the average amount of the average person in that range. Yes, your child might be eating more or less then this due to the way averages work. However, that doesn't make it any different when you have to come up with an age cut off for something like the price of buffets.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #30
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

OP, I understand what you are saying and feel your pain. I think you just needed an opportunity to vent. My DD is currently age 9 but will turn 10 before our next vacation. Sometimes she will eat nearly as much as an adult and sometimes she won't. Unfortunately age 9 is Disney's cutoff for child prices for everything. We are going to avoid most Disney buffets for awhile except the one at Fort Wilderness which is a little bit more reasonably priced.
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge
Disneylvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: