Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Disney Promotions and Celebrations--Current Promotion: Limited Time Magic
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #31
ssleblanc
How many posts until I'm not a Mouseketeer anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedWithDW View Post
Stay out of shops, trade pins, and trade vinylmations. On our last trip (for 10 days) we went into the shops only twice, once at the resort and once after POC. The pin and vinylmation trading made it where they got something new all the time and they never really asked for anything. We also took some Disney hats and other souvenirs with us, so if they asked we could say we have that back in the room.
How do you avoid the shops where rides exit through the shops? We only went into a gift shop purposefully once, and that was in search of something specific. But most rides exit you through a shop. Is there an alternate exit? That is where I have the hardest time with my kids. My 3 year old's Eeyore Pillow Pal is courtesy of the Winnie the Pooh shop/exit. (that said, she loves that thing and has slept with it every night since).

I got the older kids each a gift card with their spending limit on it. It included extra snacks (above/beyond snack credits on DDP), and souvenirs. When it was gone, it was gone. My daughter is only 3, so she can't be responsible for a gift card and didn't exactly understand the limit, so I had a harder time with her. But we made it through without TOO many extras.

One thing I do is plan on pressed pennies as souvenirs. Each kid had their own tube of coins. When a ride exited into a shop, I could often find a nearby pressed penny machine (in or just outside the gift shop). I'd re-direct ... "oh look, here is another pressed penny machine - time for a penny!". That distraction would pull them away from whatever junk/gift they just HAD to have, and they ended up without something commemorating the ride. (This tactic was more important and more effective with the 3 year old ... the tween/teen boys were on to me, but also had their own gift card and budgeting to worry about.)
1974 - Disneyland, stayed with relatives; Thanksgiving 1984 - Offsite (back when WDW was EMPTY on Thanksgiving); Summer 1992 - Disneyland, stayed will relatives; October 1996 - Offsite; October 1998 - 25th Anniversary Celebration, ASMu, September 2006 - Coronado Springs; February 2013 - Mardi Gras at Port Orleans Riverside
ssleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #32
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Set aside time ahead of time for survenior shopping. You could tell them, for instance, on THIS day, we'll search for our souvenors! And then stick to it. Tis has always worked for us.

Gone are the days where you could purchase a "guy" for 2-3 bucks and kids would be happy.
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #33
msmama
DIS Veteran

Last trip, my son really asked me one day, "Mom, when do we get to the next gift shop?"

Luckily, he is a browser and not a big shopper. We have the rule that we don't buy anything on the fly. We leave the store and think about it. If we're still thinking about it later, then we can go back and buy it (unless it's huge and impractical). That's a rule for all of us.

Also, unless he is willing to carry it himself all day, we don't buy it (I ignore sending the package back to the resort when it suits me, lol).

There are a few stores where I know that we will buy things because they can only be purchased there - ride specific things, so those I am willing to be a little more lenient on.

That said, in the end, you just have to say No and leave the store.

msmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #34
~April~
Mouseketeer

when we went on our first Disney trip, we didn't spend hardly anytime in stores. My kids were more into the attractions then shopping. they were 7, 6 and 2 at the time.

This time they will be 12, 11, and 7 this time. I've already told them they will have a certain amount of money to buy whatever they want, then that is it.

I doubt we will spend much time in shops this time either as they are just not into shopping.

maybe not visit that many shops?
~April~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #35
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

I notice many people saying to stay out of the stores. That's not really practical at Disney since many rides exit through souvenir shops.

Although I don't remember what I did with my own kids, and don't remember them asking for anything much, I have recent experience with grandchildren.

Since I babysit two of my grandsons, they are often with me in stores. The older one is 3. Even at that age, he knows that different items are worth different amounts of money. If I tell him he has $5 to spend, he will ask me the price of items before getting attached to something.

He understands that, as far as toys go, there is often a direct correlation between the size and price. He knows that 5 is a small number, and doesn't even ask about toys that are large if that is his budget. They are making 3 year olds pretty smart these days.

I think if you set certain amounts for the children to spend, and explain to the younger one how each purchase will effect his/her bottom line, it will be easier than you think.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #36
Turn the Page
DIS Veteran

When DD6 was a few years younger she would often ask for quite a few things when we went to places like the circus or the fair. I never had a problem telling her no. There were a few occasions when no was met with a few tears but never a full on fit. I started explaining early on if she threw a fit we would pack up and leave immediately. I only struggled with saying no one time. We were at the circus and she wanted an elephant ride. So we go up to the elephant, waited in line, we got to the top and the guy asked for our ticket so I handed him the entrance ticket and he said oh no, you have to go over to that table and buy a ticket for the elephant ride. So I picked her up, she was only about 4 at the time, and we went over there where I found out the elephant rides lasted all of 45 seconds and cost $10 I refused to pay that much for something that short. I felt so bad telling her no that time especially since she had gotten to within two steps of getting on the elephant. There were a few tears but I explained that I just didn't have the money for it.

After that I started teaching her. She liked to ask for things at the grocery store. Every time we went she was asking for five or six different things. I instituted a rule. Every time we went to the grocery store she could ask for one thing but it had to be something she could eat and if she started asking for more things after she picked her item we would put it back and she wouldn't get anything. This served two purposes. It made her feel like she got to get something special and it was almost always something that was on my list anyway so it didn't actually cost me anything extra. Now when we go to the fair or circus she will often ask me before we walk in "I can pick out one thing and that's it right Mom?" This strategy has worked well for us. My mother, on the other hand, has no such edible rule. And DD knows it. DD now prefers going to the grocery store with my mom because she knows she can talk my mom into letting her one item be a DVD or a blanket or something like that. I had a long discussion with my mom about the edible rule and she said "well DD asked for the blanket because she is cold at night." I said we have plenty of blankets at our house not on any beds so we could add extra blankets if she needed them but that wasn't necessary because all she had to do to warm up if she was cold at night was pull up the blankets she had kicked off in the first place. As far as I know my mom has been abiding by the edible item rule but who knows.
Turn the Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #37
wdw71
DIS Veteran

Talking Gift Cards

This trip we are trying this...
We have bought each child a $100 disney gift card and once that card hits zero the shopping stops. We will see how that goes.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #38
deuceswild10
Mouseketeer

I can totally understand how you feel! When I take my kids to Disney I will want to buy them everything too! But each day buy them something small, a balloon or something like that? And on the last day a larger gift? I don't have a ton of advice because I will probably cave in too! lol
Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #39
sjc011
Earning My Ears

When I was a wee one, my mom told my sisters and I we could pick out souvenirs only with a specific character on it. For example, one sister picked Daisy, another picked Tinkerbell, and I picked Tigger. My mom got us each a shirt, a plush, and a nice item (I remember I got a glass cube with Tigger lasered on it)...

The best part was that we never had a wandering eye. We knew what we were getting, and we were all getting relatively the same thing. We never fought about the souvenirs... (Who got to ride with Mom was a different story!)
sjc011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #40
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly71076 View Post
Not to sound harsh, but, just say no.
That is what I do too. It is my husband who caves at times!

My kids are used to me saying no when we go to the store so this isn't anything differnt.

I make sure they look at all the stores because we will be back to that one place & pretty much everthing is sold everywhere.

But they know they aren't going to get everything.
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
monorailsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #41
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

My kids are 8 and 4. They get a gift card. They don get math but they do understand "that's more money than you have on your gift card or you have no money left." Has worked well the last 3 trips

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #42
sammons70
Mouseketeer

My wife and I took our Godchildren in 2009 to Disneyland. We tend to be buy stuff at the end of the day or end of trip kind of people. I was raised that way, so you didn't have to pack everything around.
One strategy we used was if we were browsing in a store, we would take pictures of any items along with the price that they liked with our cell phones. The last day, we reviewed the pics, had them make their choices, hit World of Disney to buy the items, then headed home. I found this to be helpful because they could really compare everything they had admired, and decide what they wanted most. Our Godchildren were older (6 6 and 10), but it may work on your kids as well.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #43
jkc0325
Mouseketeer

My girls were about those ages when we went in 2005. They mostly wanted all the stuffed animals and silly hats, etc. I was very clear that we could not afford to bring home every single they saw so instead, we took a picture of them holding the stuff they really thought was neat. For a few years they loved to go back and and look at the pictures of them holding all the cool stuff. They each got one stuffed animal and one shirt to bring home.

My kids are used to not getting everything that they want. I've never been one to buy them stuff every time we go to a store and I think that made it easier for them to handle not getting tons of stuff at Disney (or anywhere, really.) I think it's an important lesson for kids (and many adults) to learn.

Good luck with whatever method you choose!!!

Last edited by jkc0325; 02-18-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: typo
jkc0325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #44
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly71076 View Post
Not to sound harsh, but, just say no.
True.

You are the parents, they are the kids. Simple.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #45
spicycrab
Mouseketeer

A couple things that have worked with my DD...

When she was 3 we borrowed a book from the library titled "The Bernstein Bears Get The Gimmies" as you may have guessed from the title it was about Brother and Sister Bear wanting everything in sight. The book really had an effect on her.

Another thing that works for us is to really focus the souvenir buying on it being a "decision". So if she asks for the first thing she sees we emphasize that she should look at a lot of things so she can make her decision. It may hold off on the buying for a little while
spicycrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: