Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #31
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

I feel lucky to work in a school district where we get 1 "universal day" to take as we wish and 4 personal days if we do not take any sick days the year prior. I did this in 2009... We had off on a friday for "Nevada Day" and I was able to take if monday- thursday. OP, I hope you get that week off!!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #32
jodi786
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryalluvdiz View Post
I feel lucky to work in a school district where we get 1 "universal day" to take as we wish and 4 personal days if we do not take any sick days the year prior. I did this in 2009... We had off on a friday for "Nevada Day" and I was able to take if monday- thursday. OP, I hope you get that week off!!!!
Many of the school districts are really strict here in NJ. You really can't take off a day attached to a vacation and they really frown upon using personal days for vacations. Some districts will dock your pay and hold your yearly increase if they find that you use sick days for vacation. It's nuts!
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #33
si-am
DIS Veteran

It sucks that the calendar changed, I totally understand. But Thanksgiving is a nice time to go, and really not terribly crowded if you get there early in the week.

Unfortunately, it's just kind of a downside of being a teacher. You get lots of vacation time, but you don't really get to choose when to take it.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #34
jodi786
Earning My Ears

Akayf

Were you on the NJ Nest board?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #35
DisReno
Mouseketeer

Do you get personal days? I'm in the same position, with the same days off as you, I'm thinking of taking four sick days over MLK holiday. I know it's not the best idea, but I can't bear the crowds and no other times work out.
DisReno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #36
akayf
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodi786
Were you on the NJ Nest board?
Lol....yes!

Me DH DS1 (5) DS2 (2)
akayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #37
DisneyGal24
Always dreaming of Disney!

We had a similar situation to yours. DH and I are both teachers and our system changed Winter break from the second week of February to the third week ( President's Day week). We decided to go in the summer and are so glad we did. Yes, it's hot and can be busy but we were able to stay longer. It's worth it to us! We make rope drop and take breaks.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #38
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodi786

Many of the school districts are really strict here in NJ. You really can't take off a day attached to a vacation and they really frown upon using personal days for vacations. Some districts will dock your pay and hold your yearly increase if they find that you use sick days for vacation. It's nuts!
They really do not let us use sick days either... But personal days are personal... As long as we give two weeks notice we can use them as we like.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #39
akayf
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryalluvdiz

They really do not let us use sick days either... But personal days are personal... As long as we give two weeks notice we can use them as we like.
Using 3 personal days in a row to go on vacation will never get approved. I will be told that we have other weeks to go when school is closed. It would be different if I had to travel out of state or something for something like a sibling's wedding...something that I can not plan around my weeks off.

I know it's not the end of the world and we will make the best of it and have a great time no matter when we wind up going. And that saying our vacation is ruined is a bit melodramatic. But it is still disappointing to change our plans. I'm just going to keep hoping that the calendar doesn't get approved.

Me DH DS1 (5) DS2 (2)
akayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #40
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

I truly hope it all works out for you....and whenever you do get to go, I'm sure it will be magical!!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #41
jodi786
Earning My Ears

Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by akayf View Post
Lol....yes!
I was too...NJMOM2Zach
Old 02-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #42
jodi786
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Using 3 personal days in a row to go on vacation will never get approved. I will be told that we have other weeks to go when school is closed. It would be different if I had to travel out of state or something for something like a sibling's wedding...something that I can not plan around my weeks off.

I know it's not the end of the world and we will make the best of it and have a great time no matter when we wind up going. And that saying our vacation is ruined is a bit melodramatic. But it is still disappointing to change our plans. I'm just going to keep hoping that the calendar doesn't get approved.
Still stinks. Personal days should be left up to you to use. If you were sick with the flu you would use three sick days. I hate that teachers always have to travel when places are busy. I have a few teacher friends who have no spring break because of Sandy. I know that most teachers get the summer off, but we really need spring break to recharge for the end of the year!
Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #43
Pills
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
If you go in August, book for as late in the month as you possibly can. Many schools in the south and west are back in session by mid-month, and many others will start before Labor Day. DD and I traveled 8/10-8/24 one year, and crowds dropped off with every passing day. You also might catch a free dining offer if you go at the end of august!

Now I am thinking about going for Thanksgiving...
We've gone the last week of August twice ('09 and '11). Yes, it's hot, but it's really not crowded at all. Free dining usually starts the week before Labor Day (so, around 8/25 this year). If you're not a commando, it's a great time, because you KNOW you'll have time to go to the pool, etc, and it will still be comfortable to do so after dinner.

Because of Irene in '11, we spent 8 days down there, and likely had the best family vacation we've had. Just stay hydrated and get into some air conditioning if you need to.

I wonder if all of the NJ districts are changing. Jersey week may be re-defined, and now our vacation plans may change, too.

11/13 - POFQ
Pills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #44
gwmort
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You are hereby invited to attend a destination wedding of your new close personal friend, whats her name, at the wedding pavillion in WDW, at some point during your planned stay, seating may be limited, they understand if you choose to go to the park that day instead...
Old 02-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #45
Seeker615
DIS Veteran

I went in late August and yes it is hot but very doable. A lot of the attractions are indoors and air-conditioned. We just stayed hydrated and we did great.

Crowds were low to low-moderate. We had a great time!
Seeker615 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: