Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
golf4miami
Mouseketeer

FP+ Implementation

I was listening to the Unofficial Guide's podcast with Jim Hill from July 27th, 2012 and they were talking about FP+. To be honest, it sold me a bit more on the technology although I'm still a little skeptical. However, the one thing that really caught my attention was that Jim said from first testing to full implementation it was probably going to take Disney somewhere around 5 years to get everything worked out and acting properly.

So maybe, FP+ isn't coming as soon as we all think it is? Also, I don't know how I feel about it going to take that long. I hope this means that they are going to take their time and do it in sections so they can be more methodical and get it all (mostly) right the first time. Thoughts?

The title of the Podcast was Episode 15: Jim Hill's Magic Kingdom Stories if you're interested. I found it on iTunes.

Last edited by golf4miami; 02-24-2013 at 11:25 PM.
golf4miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4miami View Post
So maybe, FP+ isn't coming as soon as we all think it is?
Nobody knows.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
jpolak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I hope this means that they are going to take their time and do it in sections so they can be more methodical and get it all (mostly) right the first time.
Hopefully.
7/77-Fort Wilderness Campground, 10/96-All Star Sports, 6/98-Dixie Landings, 6/99-All Star Movies, 8/01-Port Orleans FQ, 4/04-Pop Century, 10/05-Beach Club Villas, 8/06-Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, 2/07- Saratoga Springs, 9/07- Boardwalk Villas, 2/09 Old Key West, 12/09 Boardwalk Villas,8/11 Bay Lake Tower,8/12 Bay Lake Tower,8/13 Bay Lake Tower
MeDWDDDS DD
jpolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was listening to the Unofficial Guide's podcast with Jim Hill from July 27th, 2012 and they were talking about FP+. To be honest, it sold me a bit more on the technology although I'm still a little skeptical. However, the one thing that really caught my attention was that Jim said from first testing to full implementation it was probably going to take Disney somewhere around 5 years to get everything worked out and acting properly.

So maybe, FP+ isn't coming as soon as we all think it is? Also, I don't know how I feel about it going to take that long. I hope this means that they are going to take their time and do it in sections so they can be more methodical and get it all (mostly) right the first time. Thoughts?

The title of the Podcast was Episode 15: Jim Hill's Magic Kingdom Stories if you're interested. I found it on iTunes.
Hopefully that five years includes a bunch of new attractions! FP+ availability will be improved at The Magic Kingdom once the Mine Train comes online, which gives Disney more flexibility - and that is over a year away.

Oh I think they will want as many people as possible on the magicbands this summer, and FP+ is the motivator. Some form will be in play. The trial runs worked fairly well with kiosks and guest service to book rides. All the RFID readers are sitting there ready to come alive.

When I first downloaded the my Disney experience app, it listed all the attractions and had a nice big button for <get fastpass+ now>. When you clicked on it, a new screen appeared but no calendar or times. That was The first week of January. It looked ready to go then. I know there are serious problems with app and website now saving the information, but it isn't difficult making reservations. As Seinfeld says that really is the most important part ... Holding the reservation. Anybody can take a reservation. So if Disney can fix that glitch, what is in the way?

CMs are being trained, magicbands are in boxes, hardware is installed, publicity has been leaked. Marketing?
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
eeudj
Mouseketeer

Just recently got back on boards as I am planning a June trip. Can someone please explain tp me FP+ and wristbands???? Thanks as always!
eeudj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeudj View Post
Just recently got back on boards as I am planning a June trip. Can someone please explain tp me FP+ and wristbands???? Thanks as always!
Neither program has been started.

Wristbands may be coming that will take the place of guest's resort key-cards and park tickets.

FP+ will offer a limited number of FP's to be scheduled in advance.
How many days in advance and how many FP's is unknown.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Everything at this point is speculation. My guess would be that we see the beginnings of a rollout just after Easter. Seems like the first resorts to see MagicBands/FP+ will be BoardWalk, Beach Club, and Yacht Club. My guess is that most resorts will have it by Memorial Day. Again, this is all speculation and rumors. After summer, some rumors indicate the program will be expanded to AP holders and offsite guests.

Like Robo said, the real answer is "NOBODY KNOWS".
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
linzbear
Flirts with Chip

Quote:

I don't know how much you know about Jim Hill, but you can take what he says with a giant grain of salt. He'll report ideas that an imagineer had while they were drinking coffee in the morning.
04/92 - CBR | 03/94 - Offsite | 03/03 - VWL | 05/05 - BWV | 05/06 - DLR | 12/06 - VWL | 04/07 - BCV | 10/07 - OKW/AKV | 12/07 - VWL | 09/08 - OKW | 10/09 - AKV | 11/10 - AKV/VWL | 10/11 - BLT/Swan | 5/13 - VWL
Planned:
11/14 - AKV
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Nobody knows.
Least of all Jim Hill.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
bauer1168
DIS Veteran

So I know we don't know when the rollout or how the final product will look. As far as resorts go, do people think that the Swan and Dolphin resorts will be included at all with the wristbands etc?
I've stayed at both and know they are included in EMH's and Disney buses stop there etc.
bauer1168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer1168 View Post
So I know we don't know when the rollout or how the final product will look. As far as resorts go, do people think that the Swan and Dolphin resorts will be included at all with the wristbands etc?
I've stayed at both and know they are included in EMH's and Disney buses stop there etc.
The goal is to get everyone on the Magicband so that they can fully monitor the crowds. Plus the interactive queues will need the bracelet transmitter piece. I think the general consensus is that people will buy the MagicBand that will come in a wide range of amazing colors, shapes, and patterns.

People staying on site should get a complimentary standard band at check in.

They are going to make a killing on selling these designer bands.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
golf4miami
Mouseketeer

Alright guys never mind. Just thought it was interesting.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:35 AM   #13
eeudj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Neither program has been started.

Wristbands may be coming that will take the place of guest's resort key-cards and park tickets.

FP+ will offer a limited number of FP's to be scheduled in advance.
How many days in advance and how many FP's is unknown.
hmmm..... interesting THANKS!!
eeudj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #14
kccne
Earning My Ears

We are heading out in a few days, I will report anything on this when we arrive

ME (28) DW (22) DS (8) DS (4) DS (2)
kccne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccne
We are heading out in a few days, I will report anything on this when we arrive
Unlikely there'll be anything new in that short time, but if you see something different please let us know.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: