Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryliz View Post
where do you buy RX swim goggles? DH, DD and I all wear contacts so have no issues when snorkeling, or even using swim goggles in the lake or pool at home. But DS is only 13 so doesn't have contacts yet. I'd LOVE to get him a pair of RX goggles because he never uses the snorkel part when we go anyway, so he'd be just as happy using only goggles on our upcoming cruise.

We're Canadian so not sure if that makes a difference.

TIA for any info you can provide !
A company that you can purchase over the internet is A C Lens , 4265 Diplomacy Drive Columbus, Ohio 43228. They have a web sight but I don't have it right now. My wife has a number of them both clear and tinted and she loves them. They run about $30.00 a pair. You just give them your powers for each eye and they will fit them to your specifics. As far as the snorkle mask I will try to find the company we have ordered before for you.

O CANADA!!!
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
nkochrn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryliz View Post
where do you buy RX swim goggles? DH, DD and I all wear contacts so have no issues when snorkeling, or even using swim goggles in the lake or pool at home. But DS is only 13 so doesn't have contacts yet. I'd LOVE to get him a pair of RX goggles because he never uses the snorkel part when we go anyway, so he'd be just as happy using only goggles on our upcoming cruise.

We're Canadian so not sure if that makes a difference.

TIA for any info you can provide !
I bought DD's through our eye doctor's office. I wouldn't have ever known I could but my Aunt works there and I knew my cousin had them My Daughter is practically blind without hers, I felt so bad taking her to the pool when she couldn't hardly see without her glasses!
nkochrn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #18
sdjen
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all of the input. I wear the disposable contacts so I guess I will just take extras and hope for the best. I am also going to try to find a well fitted snorkel mask and think about packing it to avoid the problem.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #19
maryliz
The Whoosh Fairy RULEs, the Bloat Fairy DROOLs!
(the tag fairy rules, too!)

Thanks for the advice on the goggles. I will check with the eye doctor as I have to call them this week anyway ... and I did find some on clearcontacts.ca that were around $30.

Me DH DD DS
maryliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:55 AM   #20
iluvDisneyCruise
If you can dream it, You can do it. ~Walt Disney

I orderd my rx goggles from swim outlet online. I got them for under $20, and just used them on Castaway Cay.
iluvDisneyCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #21
perfectmatch300
United We Stand
Will ride anything with "roller coaster" in the name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
I work pt in a dive shop and cant think of any shops that rent perscription masks. Your options are basically to get fitted for contacts( I wear them to dive all the time) and either bring your own mask or rent one, or go with a regular mask and hope for the best. If you get your self a mask make sure it fits and doesnt leak. You can buy scripted masks (we make them up in the store while you wait) but I wouldnt suggest it it if you are only going to use it once.
Truck1 what dive shop do you work in? I live in Leesburg so we are almost neighbors. I also have a friend in Clermont who may want to get certified. I would love her to do that so I would have another dive buddy. Send me a pm if you don't want to post it here.

You gave great advice about mask fit. A leaky mask is no fun at all. My biggest problem is that my cheeks tend to rise up when I smile, and I smile a whole lot when I am diving or snorkeling!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #22
AC Lens
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
A company that you can purchase over the internet is A C Lens , 4265 Diplomacy Drive Columbus, Ohio 43228. They have a web sight but I don't have it right now. My wife has a number of them both clear and tinted and she loves them. They run about $30.00 a pair. You just give them your powers for each eye and they will fit them to your specifics. As far as the snorkle mask I will try to find the company we have ordered before for you.

O CANADA!!!
We (AC Lens) carry adult and children's prescription swimming goggles online, which can be found at aclens.com/swimming-goggles.asp .

We're glad you've been happy with the goggles we provide .
AC Lens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #23
ludari
DIS Veteran

I scuba dive with contacts all the time. It's just a matter of getting a proper fitting masks. I have even worn my contacts with swimming goggles during a triathlon.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #24
ChloroFiend
DIS Veteran

I'm a scuba diver that has never had an issue with contacts and diving. I also spend the better part of my summer in a pool down here in TX; also never lost a contact or even had them move while splashing, playing volleyball, etc. Bring a spare set as a backup, but you should be fine.

Again, a properly fitting mask is clutch. leaky masks suck. Clearing is no big deal, just gets annoying doing it repeatedly....also the sensation of a partially flooded mask can be a bit disconcerting/uncomfortable for newer divers/snorkelers.

Just remember...everything's better down where it's wetter. Enjoy!

-always counting down until my next dose of bottom time
ChloroFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #25
MollyMom
Earning My Ears

I agree with the other responses: Contact lenses work great with goggles or mask, but fit is SO important. To be sure it's an enjoyable trip, it's just best to bring your own so you know it's a good fit and you won't be fiddling with it all day instead of snorkeling!
I also must emphasize - bring extras!! I switch between glasses and contacts, but once sat on & broke my glasses on a trip.... then the very next day, had a contact blown out of my eye while I was adjusting it. Oops! :D How miserable (not to mention blind) was I!! They're small - make sure you have at least 2 extra sets so you don't have to wander around in a blurry haze like me... Ha ha...
MollyMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: