Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
alayne
DIS Veteran

SLR (EOS) Camera Questions

I have always used a Canon SLR Camera and loved them. I have had a few different ones but most recently I picked my last one based on weight. I have two kids (4 with me all the time because I keep my nieces) with the youngest being 9 months.

I have now dropped my camera twice and the last time was the end. I am going to have to have a new one.

Can someone give me some suggestions?

I'm not a professional by no means. I just like taking good pictures of the kids. I have a lot to carry as it is so I want something light and as compact as possible. I have a lot of extra lens and flashes but I don't use them because of the time it takes and with kids I don't have that kind of time. I'm looking for something simple and easy to use that I can grab easy when the kids do something cute or take with us to Disney.

Thanks
Allison
Old 02-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
havoc315
DIS Veteran

I'd stick with what you know. The newest iteration is the 4ti.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

If you are looking for "lighter" then another Canon dSLR is not going to be any better. Assuming you want the capabilities of a dSLR then it is time to look at micro 4/3 or NEX. NEX has a larger sensor (thus better potential image quality) but that also means larger and heavier lenses. Micro 4/3 has a smaller sensor than a typical dSLR but still large enough to deliver excellent image quality. So many choices...

Walt Disney World photos? Yeah, we have "a few" at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

I'm not sure what you're looking for. Another DSLR, a smaller interchangeable lens camera, a high end point and shoot?

I understand the difficulties in juggling gear with small kids. It can be tough to balance what we'd like to do with what they give us the time to do.

If we all agreed all the time the world would be an awfully boring place. I'm here to make it interesting!

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
alayne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick
I'm not sure what you're looking for. Another DSLR, a smaller interchangeable lens camera, a high end point and shoot?

I understand the difficulties in juggling gear with small kids. It can be tough to balance what we'd like to do with what they give us the time to do.
I'm not sure what I'm looking for either. I live in a small town and we only have Wal-Mart which doesn't have a very good selection. All the Wolf Cameras went out of business around me and the only other place I have seen cameras is at Target.

I want to hold it in my hand before I purchase it to make sure it's what I really want. I guess quality and then weight are my priorities.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alayne View Post
I'm not sure what I'm looking for either. I live in a small town and we only have Wal-Mart which doesn't have a very good selection. All the Wolf Cameras went out of business around me and the only other place I have seen cameras is at Target.

I want to hold it in my hand before I purchase it to make sure it's what I really want. I guess quality and then weight are my priorities.
it sounds like mirror-less cameras could be the ticket, Canon has the EOS-M
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-m Sony the NEX, etc.
bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alayne View Post

Walmart and Target don't leave you with a lot of options to try things out. Especially a small town store that may only carry a few models.

Well, if you want a another DSLR, the Rebel T4i is awesome. Or there are a number of mirrorless options... I personally tend to lean toward Panasonic and Sony for those. I've been going back and forth over which one to get for my DH to use on our next trip for a few months now. Or there are some great high end point and shoots that give you full manual control (except focus) and can shoot RAW. The Canon G15 and Sony RX100 come to mind. It really just comes down to which way you want to go and what features you want.

If we all agreed all the time the world would be an awfully boring place. I'm here to make it interesting!

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
staceymarie
Mouseketeer

I have the Canon powershot s95 and it takes gorgeous pics. Has a fully manual setting so you can get creative.

Love it. very compact.
August 2011--Wilderness Lodge
April 2012-Contemporary Resort
August 2012-Contemporary AGAIN!!
Wilderness Lodge! April 15-19, 2013
ASMO December 1, 2014-one day stay
Up Next--ASMO 3/14/14 and CSR 3/15-3/18/14
Then...Wilderness Lodge! August 23-28, 2014
staceymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
alayne
DIS Veteran

Thank you for all the info. Guess I have a lot of research a head. Just found out we may be going to Disney in April (last minute trip) so I have to think about price now too.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
I'd stick with what you know. The newest iteration is the 4ti.
My suggestion also...
Old 02-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

You never said which model you have so I don't know if it would be worth it have it fixed. Also there is the Canon Loyalty Program. Depending on the damage sometimes its cheaper to get it fixed. Because of what I shoot, my equipment takes a beating and it seems like I always have something in for repair or calibration.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #12
nvtsallo
Mouseketeer

I have looked at a lot of entry level offerings for the wife here is the list I came up with.

Order of cost
1: canon g15
2: sony rx100
3: sony nex 6L
4: canon t3i with tamron 17-50 2.8
5: canon 6d with 24-105 kit
6: 5d mk iii with 24-70 ii or 24-105 kit

The sony is a good value of size and image quality while retaining a viewfinder.
The canon's just get you back into a dslr and move up in features and IQ.

You can either buy one from bh photo and they have a 30 day return policy or consider lensrentals.com to see what you like.

I shot with the canon eos-m and while I would like to recommend it the focus is too slow. They will be replacing all the rebel dslr's this year with Canon but your trip sounds too soon. The new 700d (t5i) would be ideal but should not be out till May.
nvtsallo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: