Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

Sickness going around where you live?

It's been all through my house! 24-48 hours of throwing up and diarrhea. No fever.

What is this thing?! Anyone else have this going around their area?

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Really? It's a stomach virus - as common as the common cold. We used to get it here a few times a year when the kids were little, but we're down to once or twice a year now. I think there is a new one - this time around, I got it - I've been immune for years!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
LoserMomma
Mouseketeer

Norovirus
LoserMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
grafxgirl
DIS Veteran

It's Norovirus. Both my children have had it twice since Christmas. The first time was vomiting, and the second was extreme stomach cramps without all the other stuff. The nurse said the kids could have just vomiting, just diarrhea, just a fever, just stomach cramps, or any combination of the above. She also said because it only take 20 molecules to inhale and lives on surfaces for several weeks it can be contracted several times. I just had the stomach cramps the last two days. I thought I was going to wind up in the hospital they hurt so bad. I teach preschool and have had several kids out with this. Quite a few of the younger kids have been hospitalized for up to a week.

grafxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
SLP958
DIS Veteran

Our house started with DD 1 vomiting on Thursday followed by me on Friday then DS Saturday. The only person left is my husband.

DD was so sick could barely hold her head up yesterday. The doc was able to give her a phenergan shot which help her a lot.

It has been a miserable weekend.
SLP958 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

Thanks for the replies. Now I am really bummed because based on replies it looks like we could all get it again soon! Ugh!

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

Lots of people sick around here..something like 118 kids were out of school with it last week. My stepdaughter is at the ER right now with her 5 year old..2 days worth of high fever, not eating, not drinking much. They have her on an IV now..and just went in and told her that it was Type B influenza, and they may be keeping her overnite
Old 02-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxgirl View Post
It's Norovirus. Both my children have had it twice since Christmas. The first time was vomiting, and the second was extreme stomach cramps without all the other stuff. The nurse said the kids could have just vomiting, just diarrhea, just a fever, just stomach cramps, or any combination of the above. She also said because it only take 20 molecules to inhale and lives on surfaces for several weeks it can be contracted several times. I just had the stomach cramps the last two days. I thought I was going to wind up in the hospital they hurt so bad. I teach preschool and have had several kids out with this. Quite a few of the younger kids have been hospitalized for up to a week.
Exactly what I had about 10 days ago. Stomach pain beyond belief...and nausea. No throwing-up or going at the other end, but still got dehydrated. Couldn't intake fluid or food for 36 hours, because stomach pain was so bad.
CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
ols386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

I read somewhere that with this virus, once you had it, you have immunity to it for about 14 weeks. Doesn't sound like that is accurate, from reading some of the posts here.
CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
ols386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis
It's been all through my house! 24-48 hours of throwing up and diarrhea. No fever.

What is this thing?! Anyone else have this going around their area?
Half my kids had it last week
Old 02-25-2013, 04:39 AM   #11
mamamary
DIS Veteran

Two weeks ago my DH has the vom/diar (no fever) for about 24 hrs. A week later my DS had vom/fever for about 12 hours and a few days after that DD had vom/fever for about 8 hours. Luckily it left as quickly as it came and yeah for me that I haven't gotten it. I had heard from the school nurse a week ago that it was really going thru their school.

me dh ds (16) dd (15) and Baxter (my 7 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #12
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxgirl View Post
Did you get confirmation of this from cultures being tested? I ask because noro seems to be the new catch phrase for every garden variety stomach virus.

Op, it sounds like you had a stomach virus go through your house. Hope everyone is better.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
Carl
DIS Veteran

There is also something going around that causes upper respiratory problems, like congestion and coughing and sneezing. I have had if for 3 weeks now, and going into the 4th.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

Granddaughter still in the hospital. They kept her overnite, said maybe up to a week. They said she's the first case of type "B" influenza in the pediatric unit, whatever that type is. She's dehydrated, had a temp of 103..it broke overnite, but went back up again this morning. She's not eating, not drinking, not a good sign in a 5 year old! Hope everyone feels better soon!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxstch View Post
Granddaughter still in the hospital. They kept her overnite, said maybe up to a week. They said she's the first case of type "B" influenza in the pediatric unit, whatever that type is. She's dehydrated, had a temp of 103..it broke overnite, but went back up again this morning. She's not eating, not drinking, not a good sign in a 5 year old! Hope everyone feels better soon!
My 8 year old son and I had type B influenza over Thanksgiving and we each ran a fever for 6 days, my sons was as high as 104 and I was up to 103. Goods thing they have your granddaughter on fluids, that will help keep her hydrated as the flu runs its course. Hope she starts feeling better soon, my cough lingered for 6 weeks afterward
ez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: