Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
leebee
DIS Veteran

Two CP questions... ooops, 3, no 4, questions!

What does the swimming test entail? DD can swim, enough to keep herself out of trouble in the water, but isn't going to be a lifeguard by a LONG shot. She's interested in recreation... how does swimming ability effect non-lifeguard positions?

ALSO... DD is a dancer, spending 20+ hours a week in studio classes and rehearsals. If she gets into the CP but isn't picked for an entertainment role (which is highly unlikely but she'd like to consider she has a shot as a parade performer), is there a reliable dance studio in the area? Does Disney offer dance classes at all? Any suggestions as to how she can keep dancing while at Disney?

THIRD... how much do you want/need/use a car while on the CP? I know that Disney runs busses to work, but what about into town, for groceries, whatever? DD isn't 21 so wouldn't be going "out" regularly, and isn't a big partier by any means. Is it possible/manageable to be in the CP without a car?

FINALLY... DD has applied and been told she'll hear more in five or so days. We've been reading about a dashboard... is this something DD should already have at this stage, or is it something that "happens" further into the process. If she should have this already, how would she know/go about setting it up.

OK, I'm done for now!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Spo0nfulofSugar
Beginning my Dream

Alright, just warning you now that I'm not really going to answer any of your questions very well-they're tough!

I remember reading about the life guarding test, but can't remember what it said. I do know that you don't have to be trained whatsoever for that role, that Disney provides training for you once you get there. If that helps any

There used to be a studio that a few people on here recommended, but it closed I'm interested to find one as well, because I would certainly use it! From what I understand Disney does not provide any dance classes like what you're looking for.

The car/no car debate is split pretty half and half here-lots have said they did just fine without one, others said they couldn't survive without it. Lots of people say the busses are kind of unreliable, and unless you live in the complex with the bus stop they are quite a walk. Some also say it forced them to wake up extremely early in order to get to work on time. If the bus makes you late for work, it will not count against you, but still annoying. It makes grocery trips (not sure when or how often), but then you have only a limited amount of time to shop and you have to carry all of your groceries back onto the bus. I believe they bring you off Disney property as well, but not sure to where. I think she could do it, maybe with a friend who has a car that wouldn't mind her hitching a ride every now and then.

Hope that helps a little!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
pipermae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
What does the swimming test entail? DD can swim, enough to keep herself out of trouble in the water, but isn't going to be a lifeguard by a LONG shot. She's interested in recreation... how does swimming ability effect non-lifeguard positions?

ALSO... DD is a dancer, spending 20+ hours a week in studio classes and rehearsals. If she gets into the CP but isn't picked for an entertainment role (which is highly unlikely but she'd like to consider she has a shot as a parade performer), is there a reliable dance studio in the area? Does Disney offer dance classes at all? Any suggestions as to how she can keep dancing while at Disney?

THIRD... how much do you want/need/use a car while on the CP? I know that Disney runs busses to work, but what about into town, for groceries, whatever? DD isn't 21 so wouldn't be going "out" regularly, and isn't a big partier by any means. Is it possible/manageable to be in the CP without a car?

FINALLY... DD has applied and been told she'll hear more in five or so days. We've been reading about a dashboard... is this something DD should already have at this stage, or is it something that "happens" further into the process. If she should have this already, how would she know/go about setting it up.

OK, I'm done for now!
Hi! I can't help with the first two questions, but I can help with 3 and 4!

3 - I used my car a lot. I made friends with several of the CPs at my attraction and as CPs at Coaster we usually all had similar shifts (the closing shift) and we would car pool. We would just take turns driving that way we didn't have to get ready extra early to make it to a bus. Plus, after a long day, I would just want to drive to the apartment complex and go straight to bed. I didn't want to have to wait for a bus, hope there was enough room on it and that I was close enough to the front of the line that I would get a seat. I probably used the bus 2 or 3 days at the very beginning before I knew where cast parking was, then I drove the rest of the time. I also liked having my car to be able to go to the parks to play on my off days. When you take the bus to ride it's nice to let those who actually worked sit on the bus while those who played stand. I wouldn't have minded standing that much, but if I can pick sitting, I will. A bus does go to the Wal-Mart near CP housing for grocery pick up. It's also nice to have your car to go to the mall and to Universal and other areas of Orlando. I'm not a partier, either, but there's a ton to do. BUT, with that said, plenty of people do the CP without a car. She'll make a ton of friends and it's likely one of them would have one that would end up inviting her along on a shopping trip or wherever. In fact, 2 of my roommates didn't have cars. And, if it's the same as when I did my CP in Fall 2011, there was a bus that went to the mall, post office, etc. on different days. You'll get a schedule.

4 - After she takes the WBI interview online and passes she'll get a dashboard where she can track her status. The dashboard will be where she will schedule her phone interview. After the phone interview she will obsessively stalk (let's be honest, I'm doing that myself right now, ha!) it to see if she has been extended an offer or is "no longer in consideration". That's all I know as when I did the CP in 2011, we didn't have a dashboard to stalk. We just waited for an e-mail to tell us.

I hope this helps!
May&June 2010 - POP w/ new friends!
March 2011 - All Star Sports to celebrate our engagement!
August 2011 thru January 2012 - Disney College Program, Attractions Hostess at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
January 2012 to January 2013 - Seasonal Cast Member at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (visited in June and October in 2012)
March 2013 - Married at Disney World on 03-13-13!
Fall 2013 DCP - Attractions (Location: Sum of All Thrills)
pipermae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Wishes Count
DIS Veteran

Quote:

OK, I'm done for now!
I don't know about your first two. But for #3, I would definitely bring a car if she has one. Can she live without it? Yes. But many CPs feel it is a hassle to ride the buses. If she works at MK, there are literally fist fights to get on the bus at the end of the night because of the amount of people trying to get on. If you work at a resort, the buses come less frequently which might mean a lot of standing around waiting before and after work. The buses do go to Walmart, but as others have said, you have to get your stuff pretty quick and be able to carry it all with you on the bus. She could always bring her car and then decide if she wants to use that or the bus while she is there. Some people only use their car to go other places and ride the bus to save money. I personally would not leave my car at home.

The dashboard is where she can check the status of her application. She can access it by going to the CP website and clicking on login in the top right corner. she created a username and password when she submitted the application. Right now it is not very useful, but later it will be for selecting arrival dates and other arrival information.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

About the car. My daughter is up there right now and doing fine with the bus. She works at MK and has had no problem getting in a bus at night. She has 2 days off a week so taking a few hours to go to Walmart is not a big deal. She goes to the mall about once a week on the bus. Taken the Lynx bus to visit a friend at UCF. It's about a 10 minute walk to the bus stop.

She's never been late to work in over a month.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
leeg229
Mouseketeer

Quote:

OK, I'm done for now!
My roommate wasn't a strong swimmer (they also never asked him) and they placed him at the marina at the Contemporary so swimming ability shouldn't be a factor.

No clue about the dancing

Ahhh the old, "To bring a car or not bring a car". In my own very humble opinion, I could not do the CP without my car. I had my car last time and it was a necessity. Having a car on the program allows you amazing flexibility and freedom. I was always using my car to go to walmart or make random trips to MK or Studios. I explored Celebration, made WAWA runs and drove to the silver moon drive in theater in Lakewood. The CP buses are .... ok ... but they can be unreliable sometimes and frustrating. Depending on what housing complex you stay in it could take up to 45 minutes to get where you need to go by bus when it may only take 10 by car so there is a lot of wasted time there. The groceries are another reason why I recommend a car. If you buy a lot of heavy groceries it's a MAJOR pain to take them on the bus back to the apartments. Also, having a car is a surefire way to make friends

The dashboard should already be set up. Go to the CP website and at the top there should be three little buttons. Click the one that looks like a speedometer and log in and you can check the status there.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
leebee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermae View Post
y we didn't have to get ready extra early to make it to a bus. Plus, after a long day, I would just want to drive to the apartment complex and go straight to bed. I didn't want to have to wait for a bus, hope there was enough room on it and that I was close enough to the front of the line that I would get a seat... When you take the bus to ride it's nice to let those who actually worked sit on the bus while those who played stand. I wouldn't have minded standing that much, but if I can pick sitting, I will.

I hope this helps!
Sounds pretty much like ALL Disney transportation: It takes quite a bit of extra time to get anywhere, the bus queues can be LONG at the end of a hot day spent on your feet, and there really aren't enough seats for everyone who needs to ride! These are the reasons we rent a car if at all possible when we come to WDW. The catch is DD is just learning to drive and we only have 2 cars... BUT it sounds like this will be good incentive to actually get her license, and if we get another car I could drive down with her and sneak in another trip to WDW

Thanks, everyone, for the info about the car, dashboard, and swim test. I'll keep hoping for an answer to the dance question. There is a woman who comes up here annually to teach at a dance workshop who is a Disney choreographer (and now currently also a La Nouba flyer!); if I can remember the format for cast email, maybe I'll send her a fast message- I bet she can recommend a dance studio!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: