Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 AM   #1
Cicero10
Mouseketeer

Do you still stay in touch with your roommate? Do they become like best friends to

To you?

Last edited by Cicero10; 02-18-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Cicero10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
pipermae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero10 View Post
To you?
2 of my roommates and I are in a best friend triangle. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't had them! But my other roommate and I didn't stay in touch.
May&June 2010 - POP w/ new friends!
March 2011 - All Star Sports to celebrate our engagement!
August 2011 thru January 2012 - Disney College Program, Attractions Hostess at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
January 2012 to January 2013 - Seasonal Cast Member at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (visited in June and October in 2012)
March 2013 - Married at Disney World on 03-13-13!
Fall 2013 DCP - Attractions (Location: Sum of All Thrills)
pipermae is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Cicero10
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermae View Post
2 of my roommates and I are in a best friend triangle. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't had them! But my other roommate and I didn't stay in touch.
That's really cool, I sure hope when/if I get the same opportunity that happens with my roommates. To bad for that other roommate.

So you only had 4 roommates? Do you think having that number is better in terms of making life long friends? I was thinking having 4 is a good number cause its easier to get to know them more.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
AliSW
\

I got along with most of my roommates and about 3 of them were pretty good friends. I don't talk to any of them anymore though and my program ended 2 years ago. I don't know why haha but I do still talk to 2 people that I worked with anyway.
AliSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
tikistitch
Mouseketeer

Not all roommates get along. Some do become best friends, and others don't get along at all, to the point that they prefer to pay money to switch to a new apartment after a month or two. A lot of roommates can go days and sometimes a week or longer without seeing one another, because of crazy work schedules. The odds are likely that while you'll do some things with your roommates if your work schedule allows it and you guys get along, you'll probably spend most of your time with people from your work location.

You will hear stories about people keeping in touch with their roommates, though. Even if you don't become best friends, with things like twitter and facebook it's easy to keep in touch after the program ends.
tikistitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
Musings
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikistitch View Post
Not all roommates get along. Some do become best friends, and others don't get along at all, to the point that they prefer to pay money to switch to a new apartment after a month or two. A lot of roommates can go days and sometimes a week or longer without seeing one another, because of crazy work schedules. The odds are likely that while you'll do some things with your roommates if your work schedule allows it and you guys get along, you'll probably spend most of your time with people from your work location.

You will hear stories about people keeping in touch with their roommates, though. Even if you don't become best friends, with things like twitter and facebook it's easy to keep in touch after the program ends.
This. Even if you have eight roomies, I've heard about people never being around at the same time.
Musings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
dmiller64152
Mouseketeer

I'm almost 50 and I still keep in touch with most of my roommates! We're actually planning a reunion this summer so we can all get together. I don't see them all that often, keep in touch largely through Facebook, but I still consider them the best friends I have.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
leeg229
Mouseketeer

I keep in touch with my roommates but I wouldn't say I'm best friends with them. We usually wisecrack on each others facebook. I have, however, visited 2 of the people that I was closest with on the program. One lives in Puerto Rico and the other in upstate New York.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
pipermae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
That's really cool, I sure hope when/if I get the same opportunity that happens with my roommates. To bad for that other roommate.

So you only had 4 roommates? Do you think having that number is better in terms of making life long friends? I was thinking having 4 is a good number cause its easier to get to know them more.
I got super lucky with mine. We all "met" on Facebook right after we were all accepted and talked all summer. The 2 I'm best friends with and I had SO much in common. Yeah, there were only 4 of us in a 2 bedroom. I don't know that I could have done 5 roommates with 1 fridge. Ours was already super packed! Haha! I think 3 roommates is a good number because it's easy to find time alone and still easy to hang out with them, too. But, I think it's all about finding the right roommates.
August 2011 thru January 2012 - Disney College Program, Attractions Hostess at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
January 2012 to January 2013 - Seasonal Cast Member at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (visited in June and October in 2012)
Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
Cicero10
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermae View Post
I got super lucky with mine. We all "met" on Facebook right after we were all accepted and talked all summer. The 2 I'm best friends with and I had SO much in common. Yeah, there were only 4 of us in a 2 bedroom. I don't know that I could have done 5 roommates with 1 fridge. Ours was already super packed! Haha! I think 3 roommates is a good number because it's easy to find time alone and still easy to hang out with them, too. But, I think it's all about finding the right roommates.
So how does it work on Facebook? Someone said you just go on Disneys Facebook page and just say who you are and who you're looking for.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
pipermae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So how does it work on Facebook? Someone said you just go on Disneys Facebook page and just say who you are and who you're looking for.
Yup! My immediate roommate and I had joined the FB group for Fall 2011 CPs and struck up a FB conversation after finding each other through the roommate document. Then she found someone (I'm guessing through the FB group, too?) and I found someone else through the FB group roommate finder document. We all decided to be roommates through a group chat.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
Hollsey
Finding my laughing place!

I haven't really kept in touch with my roommates at all, beyond Happy Birthday posts on Facebook walls. One of my roommates and I had completely 100% opposite schedules, and even though we moved in the same day, I bet I can count on two hands how many times I saw her throughout my program. Another roommate hardly ever stayed at our apartment, and the other three would go out semi-often, but I can't say they've all stayed in touch, either. We were lucky in the sense that we all got along and we respected each other's boundaries, but we were unlucky in the sense that we weren't a tight-knit group.

But one of my closest personal friends from home who did the program with me (sort of--she started a few months after me) still sees one of her roommates and keeps in touch with her others. And one of my best friends from my program--someone I worked with--actually flew from California to visit me in Cincinnati last summer. The two of us actually snail-mail each other because we're nerds and we like mail. And I also saw my ex-boyfriend from my program last summer, about a year after we broke up (so we were able to stay pretty good friends).
Summer, 1996 ~ All Star Music Resort // Summer 1999 ~ All Star Sports Resort // June 2003 ~ All Star Movies Resort // July 2007 ~ Coronado Springs Resort // June 2010 - January 2011 ~ CP at All Star Music Resort's Intermission Food Court // August 2011 ~ Coronado Springs Resort // December 2011 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge

What happens when a Creative Writing nerd starts a Disney College Program Blog
Hollsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: