Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
Crystal Brewer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabyblues
We drive, and we take our suitcases back to the van, assuming you unpack. Also, anything we aren't sure we will need (jackets, laundry soap, whatever) stays in the van until we need it.
Luv This!! I find myself stacking empties under hanging clothes Duh never honestly thought of storing them in the vehicle!! This shall be useful for many trips to come!! We've had experience with VERY tight fits where it def could have benefited!!
Crystal Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #17
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpotter View Post
I just booked our first stay onsite

What are your items that you bring which help maximize the small space in a value room? For instance, bring a power strip of you have alot of electronics to charge each night.

We're driving, so we have plenty of room.
Depending on how many electronic things you have, you might also want an extension cord or second power strip. For example, I have a video camera, a still camera, a laptop, and a smart phone. That's four plug-ins right there. Add in my husband's laptop and his smart phone and we are already looking at using the outlet next to the sink in the bathroom even with a power strip.

We "invested" in a pop up laundry hamper and never looked back. It's excellent in the corner next to the sink and under the "closet". No excuse not to put dirty laundry in there.

For shoes, I use the space under the nightstand. Just dump everything in there.

Unpack your luggage and then take the empty suitcases back to your car and store them there.

Get some cheap plastic tubs (dollar stores are great for this) and assign one to each child. Before you leave for the day, all their stuff has to be back in there. Also have one for your stuff like snacks. That way, things don't get spread out all over the room. AND, you clean up things so the housekeeper doesn't accidentally throw things out (you never want a favorite toy left on the bed). These tubs can go on the top of the "closet" area.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
kitkat324
Mouseketeer

I always bring a bottle of hand soap (the kind with a pump from the dollar tree), I can't stand the mess the bar soap makes on the counter and I don't like digging the bar soap out of a plastic cup. Or I bring a soap dish.

A toothbrush holder (from the dollar tree)....I won't put our toothbrushes on the counter.

Trips:
Every year from 1986 - 1996 off-site
Aug. 07' Pop
Oct. 08' Pop
June 11' Pop July 11' AKL
June 13' Pop July 13' AKL
kitkat324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
DisneyGal24
Always dreaming of Disney!

Here is a crazy tip for you... I brought a foldable drying rack for bathing suits and towels. This kept them out of the bathroom where they never seem to get dry. This is not for everyone but since we drive I had the room for it along with a box fan for noise and to help with drying. We had the drying rack, double stroller, 2 adults and 2 kids in a value room for 10 nights. We had plenty of room. I also brought extra hangers from home. That was a huge help.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #20
Gibbygirl
why am I here when I should be there?

Here are a few things I've done for our past trips (& we stay moderate, but it seems like space & staying organized with 4 people is always an issue.)

clothes pins for hanging wet swim suits up on the clothes line in the shower

baggies, baggies, baggies! For little kids, put an outfit in each bag. That way they can grab one & get themselves ready. I also use baggies for pressed pennies, pins, change, sharpies (to take to the park for autographs,) bandaids, extra batteries (for our portable fans,) etc, etc.

wire hangers--we fly so suitcase space is a premium, but want to be able to hang up what we can since drawer space is never enough. Our dry cleaner gives away wire hangers. I grab a couple dozen, use them while we're there then leave or put in trash. They don't take up much room on the way there, & don't have to worry about bringing them back.

for bigger kids (when their clothes no longer fit in baggies)--I pack by outfit. Put bottom, underwear, top, socks folded together in the suitcase. Yes, they can dress themselves, but if your child is like my DS, he would rip thru the suitcase looking for each item & would make a big mess in the process.

Last trip I discovered a new solution--the plastic "case" that comes on the sub sandwich Lunchables make for great storage containers. Each of us had one to put our stuff in at the end of the day (wallet, sunglasses, pressed pennies, trading pins, chapstick, etc, etc.) May sound silly, but they were great! Plus, throwing them away for the return trip freed up some space in the suitcase.

pop up hamper--I know this has been suggested before, but make sure it will fit in your suitcase. I bought one based on seeing it suggested many times. Problem was, it was to round to fit in our suitcase. Luckily I didnt' wait until the night before to find this out. Since I couldn't find a smaller one, I used a drawstring duffle bag style one. Hung it across a couple of hangers so it was easier to put stuff in thru the week. At the end of the week, closed it up & put in one of our suitcases. Easier to carry the whole bag to the laundry room when we got home (ugh! I hate that part of vacation! )

Always looking for new tricks & tips so keep 'em coming!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #21
daisymomof4
Mouseketeer

Little kid daily outfits packed in ziplocks was one of the BEST online tips I've ever read! Saves time in the AM because the kids and my hubby know just what the kids are wearing. I can dry my hair without hearing, "Honey, where are his socks?" Now that most of my kids are too big for outfits in ziplocks I pack tops and bottoms folded/rolled together in the case and fill a ziplock with undies and socks. Spare outfits in ziplocks are also handy to keep the backpack organized.

We usually travel with 2 small pop up hampers. One for dirty clothes and the other for shoes. If you're driving you could pack some things in a sturdy laundry basket so you have it for shoes or dirty clothes. You might have a 10 minute walk of shame with a laundry basket to your room but you'll be glad you have it, lol.

Love the idea in this thread to hang an organizer and give everyone one place to put their stuff. It always ends up on the table and I can't stand that.
daisymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #22
NorthernGrl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymomof4
Little kid daily outfits packed in ziplocks was one of the BEST online tips I've ever read! Saves time in the AM because the kids and my hubby know just what the kids are wearing. I can dry my hair without hearing, "Honey, where are his socks?" Now that most of my kids are too big for outfits in ziplocks I pack tops and bottoms folded/rolled together in the case and fill a ziplock with undies and socks. Spare outfits in ziplocks are also handy to keep the backpack organized.

We usually travel with 2 small pop up hampers. One for dirty clothes and the other for shoes. If you're driving you could pack some things in a sturdy laundry basket so you have it for shoes or dirty clothes. You might have a 10 minute walk of shame with a laundry basket to your room but you'll be glad you have it, lol.

Love the idea in this thread to hang an organizer and give everyone one place to put their stuff. It always ends up on the table and I can't stand that.
We do the laundry basket too. Driving from Canada, we have plenty of room in the van. I don't even pack into a suitcase, but straight into the folding hamper. The 4 kids outfits go into the ziplocs, then tossed in the hamper, dh and I pack into a garbage bag that goes into the hamper. The over the door shoe organizer, closet organizer and snacks are packed into a laundry basket. One change of clothes per person and toiletries all go into a duffle bag.
When we get to the hotel we're staying in on the way down, we just take in the duffle bag. Once at Disney, we unpack the clothes into drawers or hangers and the snacks on the shelves. Shoe organizer goes over the door with space for toiletries and small items (keys, sunglasses etc). The closet organizer has cubbies for the kids to put toys etc, then the laundry basket goes by the door to corral shoes and the hamper goes by the sink.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #23
leebee
DIS Veteran

At POP, we set up the ironing board in the closet (at the end of the sink area). We don't have too many hanging outfits, and find the additional "counter space" more valuable than hanging/closet space.

Bring clothes pins to hang bathing suits on the line in the shower.

We have magnetic "clips" that hang on the room door on the inside. I put paperwork (park schedules, ADR list, daily schedules) there so we can find them easily.

Utilize the window sill... shoes can line up here, or everybody's water bottles. Nothing valuable, or course, so nobody is tempted to break in!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #24
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Didn't read the previous posts so I apologize if these are repeats:
We have spent many fabulous vacation at POP. I am a silly over-planner/over-organizer.. - here are my tips.

1. Hanging shoe organizer - bought a few at the Target Dollar Spot - hung them from the closet area - perfect for everyones pj's, socks and unmentionables().
2. Suction cups with the hangers on them - I initially brought them to decorate our window - had a few left over - put 1 in the shower to hang the bath puff (not a fan of face cloths - weird - I know) - also put a few on the door mirror for holding hats and lanyards.
3 Kept all our *don't need right now* things in a small suitcase under the sink...(medicines, extra batteries).
4. Bought a suction cup toothbrush holder from the dollar store for the bathroom mirror - adds space to the counter.
5. Used the plastic drink cups they provide for sink storage. One held all hair elastics - another held make up - another held qtips.
6. Put our big suitcase on the luggage stand and put our laundry detergent and dryers sheets in it - all dirty laundry went in it - then half way through our stay we would just roll in down to the laundry during a pool break.
7. BEST investment (and will be packing it for our upcoming trip) - a magnetic basket for the back of the room door - that is where our car keys, room keys and sunglasses go. No searching around for them in the morning - I also pack a few other magnets to hang the Park Hours, our ADR's etc...

HTH!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #25
Pembo
OH-IO

I take two laundry bags - one is white, one is blue. We sort our dirty laundry before putting it in the bag. If I'm not doing laundry on the trip I just put the bags right in the suitcase. I also bring a stainstick that we leave out for easy use.

Another vote for ziplock bags - I use A LOT of them when I pack and they always have a use when we come back home too.

We often drive from Ohio - we use beach towels as our blanket in the car for the drive. I try to wash those before we head home so we can use them in the car again. Also we bought a plastic bin with a lid that fits perfectly in the back of our van. (WE have a Kia so there is a lower space). We put all kinds of things in the bin and it's easy to carry to the room.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

I'm trying to think of things other people haven't mentioned.

Our Dollar Tree has little paper cloth baskets that fold flat. I have a collection of these and put them into all the shelves and such and all our snacks and treats, car keys and such go into them. DH and I also each have one or two for socks and undies inside our drawers.

Oh, and I always bring a little lap blanket for the car ride. DH likes the car cold enough to hang meat, so I use it during the trip to cover my bare legs, then when we get there, it's nice to have to curl up under in the evenings.

Also, someone mentioned shoe hangers to put outfits in - this is great. I also have a sweater hanger just like this. This frees up a LOT of drawer space for a small investment of closet space.

Binder clips or clothespins to clip the patio curtain closed are useful.

Oh! Clorox non-bleaching wipes. I love these and always bring a travel pack with us. They will clean anything, including clothes - honestly they work much better than Tide pens. Very useful.

I rubber band the cords of all our chargers so that they stay tidy and don't get tangled up.

Oh and this year, for a first time, I'm bringing a little accordian folder - coupon sized. Everything paperwork is going in it to live and then going in the glovebox.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #27
kjpotter
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for the ideas keep them coming!
kjpotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #28
disney777
DIS Veteran

Not a storage tip, but if you like drinking your own coffee, you might want to bring a coffee maker, since Values don't have them in the room.

There are some great tips. I'm always solo in my room, so I don't need to worry about space, but I do bring my own hangers if I can, then leave them/throw them away at the end of my trip. I like the ironing board idea! I may use that in the future.
9/1990 offsite, 10/1999 ASMu, 10/2001 ASMo. 9/2003 ASMo, 9/2004 Pop, 1/2005 Pop/AKL, 9/2005 Pop, 1/2006 Pop/ POFQ, 9/2006 POFQ 10/2006 CSR, 1/2007 Pop,9/2007 WL/BWV, 1/2008 POFQ, 8/2008 POP/CR, 1/2009 POFQ, 9/2009 Saratoga Springs, 1/2010 POFQ, 8/2010 POP/BCV, 1/2011 POR/POFQ, 8/2011 POP/BCV, 1/2012 POFQ, 8/2012 AKL/AKL CL, 1/2013 POFQ, 8/2013 YC, 1/2014 POP/POFQ, 8/2014 GF
disney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #29
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at two different values - POP and AoA. We haven't had a problem with storage at POP, however LM rooms at AoA were a problem. The drawer unit had very little space on the top, the table was about half the size of POP's. The sink did not have a shelf above the counter so you really lost a lot of space.
We do drive and usually have a lot of luggage as we usually are away from home for a month or more stopping at Disney as well as visiting other areas. We have a bag of Disney "stuff" - one of the canvas totes that were offered as buy with purchase a few years ago. In it we keep our ponchos, fan, paper towel tubes for bringing home our creations from the drawing academy at HS, Disney hats, etc. I can hang that from the pegs on the wall. The unused luggage we put on the other side of the bed to act as a night stand.
I use the Disney popcorn buckets to store munchies - love the fact that they have different colored handles and lids so we know what is in each without opening each one. The buckets also help keep the munchies fresh from the FL humidity.
I use a small packing cube to hold cords for electronics, we bring along a power squid - like it better than an power strip - to plug in all the electronics. The power squid has tentacle like plugs so you can plug in those transformer plugs that many electronics use.

Last edited by cruisingkat; 02-24-2013 at 11:20 PM.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #30
MichelleWDWfan
Mouseketeer

Usually it's just me and DS 17, so we always unpack everything.

We like to fly in early & go to a park our 1st day. We come back to the resort early the first night....our luggage is in the roomby then, so we unpack, get settled, and set out clothes for our next day.

I didn't know you could request extra hangers...ty for the tip.
I usually bring extra hangers from home. I like to hang up all of our shirts.

My tips would be:

Lock your valuables in the in room safe.
I always put extra money, pins & jewelry, wallet, mp3 player, nook, etc in the wall safe in the room, during the day while we are out and about.

If you plan to decorate your room window & door:
Remember you can't use tape, or any type of adhesive.
Bring Suction cup hooks, window clings. 3m command strips also work well. Your door is metal...so magnets are great for using on your door decorations

Me DS 18

March 2009 - AS Movies, March 2010 = POP, August 2010 - POP, March 2011 - POP,
Dec 2011 - POP (MVMCP), July 2012 - POR, March 2013 - POP, Sept 2013 - POP (MNSSHP),
March 2014 - POP, May 2014 Rock Your Disney Side! 24 hr event - POP
MichelleWDWfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: