Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Malakaiii
Mouseketeer

Cash in Disney World - Traveler's Cheques? Debit?

Hello fellow Canadians!

We are planning ahead to our May trip. What is the best way to get cash on hand for Disney? Will the resorts cash traveler's cheques? Is it easier just to use a debit machine? Are there other options (not credit cards)?

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

The resorts will cash travellers cheques, but I don't think I've bought them in over 10 years. And we travel internationally at least once a year.

There are ATM machines all over the place, but depending on the bank you use, you may be dinged up to $5 per transaction, so take out your daily maximum to minimize these.

For our WDW trips we typically take $500-1,000 US cash with us, depending on whether we're driving or flying, and depending on the length of the trip. We have a US$ account at our local bank and keep it topped up whenever the Canadian $ is strong.

Once at WDW we give the resort a credit card and charge almost everything to our KTTW. Cash is reserved for small purchases and snacks.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
Malakaiii
Mouseketeer

Thanks for those suggestions! Traveler's cheques are not my top choice... they charge a fee just to print them so I much prefer using the ATMs.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
Malakaiii
Mouseketeer

Another idea: What about prepaid Visa cards that have a specific amount on them?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:58 AM   #5
DisneyMagic3
Earning My Ears

We are bringing cash. Our credit cards and debit cards will be with us but only as "emergency funds".
DisneyMagic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
Ted in Halifax
Over a 2,000 mile drive from Disney!

WE do the same. We bring cash, which we have bought or saved from other vacations in our US dollar account. So when gas prices go up ... I typically buy some US money and put it into the account. Then I withdraw it, just prior to the trip. Credit cards and debit are for emergencies.
May 2007 Fort Wilderness Cabins, Feb 2009 Pop Century, Nov 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, March 2010 Pop Century AP, May 2010 All Star Music AP, Nov 2010 POP Century AP, Feb 2011 Port Orleans Riverside AP, March 2012 AKV, March 2012 Disney Dream, March 2012 BWV, Feb 2013 POP AP, March 2013 AKL AP, July 2013 AKL AP, Dec 2013 Coronado Springs AP, Dec 2013 Saratoga Springs AP, and Dec 2013 POR French Quarter AP, JAN 2015 AKL JAMBO HOUSE Watching the SuperBowl at AKL ....
Ted in Halifax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
mtmbyck
I AM Canadian eh!

I don't rely on my debit card as much as it only works at some machines and has never worked for a transaction at the til. I tried this a DTD and they couldn't read it so had to run over to the Chase machine by guest services which did work. But then tried using a random machine at an outlet mall and it didn't work for some reason.

I'm with the rest.....I'll be bringing cash and debit.

Be careful using credit cards as we all know how they like to ding us with the transfer rate (US to CDN). A lovely added fee just for having to do the exchange.
mtmbyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakaiii View Post
Another idea: What about prepaid Visa cards that have a specific amount on them?

I'm not sure but I remember looking into a prepaid Visa before and there might be an issue with buying it in Canada and using it in the US. You would have to read that back of the card to see if they allow for currency exchange. Check the prepaid Amex it might be a better choice.

dancin Disney style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
ginny_lynn
Mouseketeer

hatevr you choose, do not keep it all togther.....so If you are going to do prepaid credit card, do not put it all on one....my mother accidently through my allet in the trash last year while I was in the washroom, so it worked out that my debit card which was in it as not our only source of funds. Also we were driving and my license as in there (I did not realize unti hours later b/c I assumed she just stuck it in her bag)....Since there are no RBC that are owned by the same company as RBC in Canada in the US I could not gt a ne card....

ginny_lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
Malakaiii
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! I guess I'm just hesitant to be carrying around large amounts of cash.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
ottawamom
Mouseketeer

All the rooms at Disney have safes. Your cash will be perfectly safe there just take what you want to spend for the day to the park.
ottawamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
Disfanx4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakaiii
Thanks everyone! I guess I'm just hesitant to be carrying around large amounts of cash.
We take cash and by Disney Gift Cards ASAP when we arrive
Disfanx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakaiii View Post
We bring credit cards and cash and leave any excess in the safe. However you can do a few things. One is Disney giftcards which can be ordered to Canada for a $25 fee. So to not be dinged for the fee several times you'd probably want to order them all at once.
The best option IMO would be to put cash down at check in instead of a credit card. We did that twice a few years ago. I believe I put 1000 on the room, and then we used our KTTW card the same as if we were charging to a credit card.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

We don't really bring cash as we just charge back to the room. More we put on our BMO credit card the more Air Miles we will earn for our next trip.

I don't like to carry much cash. If we do run low I have no problems using the ATM at the resort. I would rather pay less than $5 in bank charges than chance losing a wad of cash.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #15
Tinkershelly
DisneyWorld trip winner!
Holy moley, there are soooo many items!

Also, if you're staying at a WDW resort and do use your KTTW card to charge, the resort will only charge your credit card when the balance reaches a certain amount, depending on the resort. So if you travel like we do and use the dining plan, we charge tips to the room, and buy a couple of t-shirts, and a couple of frozen margaritas, and a vinlymation, well you get the idea. Whenever the balance reaches $500 US (if we stay in a value resort) they will charge our VISA and reset the balance to $0 and start over. Which means the VISA has one transaction and one set of service charges instead of a whole bunch of little ones. The resort also gives us a detailed receipt of all charges, itemized per day and per room card, so it's easy to keep track of the purchases and know if there is something not right.

This also works if you prefer to pay cash, they can use a credit card as a guarantee but settle your balance with cash. Or you may give them cash at the begining and they will debit from that every time you use your KTTW card.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: