Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Elisa
momtwo2

Gluten free in Down Town Disney

I'm planning a trip for the end of August and I'm trying to decide on either eating at T-Rex or Rain Forest Cafe. I have Celiac Disease and this will be my first trip there as one. I have all of my other restaurants picked but I wanted to try something new, specifically in Down Town Disney. Which one would you choose if you've eaten there already? Thanks for the replies in advance!
'06 Sept Pop ( Big surprise for kids )
'07 Sept ASMu ( Free Dining AGAIN )
'10 Aug CBR Free Dining ( Kids 1st time at a Mod) and Universal Studios
'13 Aug CBR ( to capture the last of my children's youth as they're growing too fast!!!!)
Elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
KristenFNJ
Mouseketeer

We've done T-Rex gluten free, it was really good. We only go every 2 years so I have to say that I'm not ringing up any specifics :P and it's DH and DS1&2 who are celiac and I don't remember what they ate. But I do remember that the last time 10/2011 our chef was very personable and gave us a lot of time, and knew his stuff about g/f. The atmosphere is really pretty cool, too. The theming is pretty great, there is at least one hidden mickey in there that I can remember, and of course my boys LOVE the Build-A-Dino.

We also do Rainforest each time we go, albeit the one at AK, but I'm sure the menu is the same. The one thing I recall from there is that the dessert choice is limited. However, Ghirardelli ice cream shop is right there! And they have a ton of g/f there. They keep a binder at the registers, so go up to the register and ask to see it while you wait in line to order.

I choose T-Rex at DTD because we hit Rainforest on our AK Day, it's harder to pick just one but I think I would pick T-Rex. I think the menu is a little better, and the atmosphere is cool. Also, there is a Rainforest not far from home if we every really craved the jungle, but no T-Rex anywhere near us. That may factor in for you, too.

DH and I have also had a couple of "dates" at the Wolfgang Puck place (both the quick part downstairs and the upstairs restaurant) and he's had great g/f meals there. They're really knowledgable about GF there too, even when DS was the first one diagnosed celiac in 2007 our server knew about g/f and how the chef could accommodate (way back before it was hip LOL).
KristenFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristenFNJ View Post

We also do Rainforest each time we go, albeit the one at AK, but I'm sure the menu is the same. The one thing I recall from there is that the dessert choice is limited. However, Ghirardelli ice cream shop is right there! And they have a ton of g/f there. They keep a binder at the registers, so go up to the register and ask to see it while you wait in line to order.

).
Ghirardelli is located at DTD not AK. (It is not far from Trex). There is also Babycakes at DTD with wonderful GF cupcakes, donuts and cookies.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
Elisa
momtwo2

Thank you both for your replies! We don't have a Rainforest Cafe near us in Canada and we've never eaten at either in Disney and we want to try one, so if anyone else has a preferred choice, let me know. The T-Rex sounds good!
'06 Sept Pop ( Big surprise for kids )
'07 Sept ASMu ( Free Dining AGAIN )
'10 Aug CBR Free Dining ( Kids 1st time at a Mod) and Universal Studios
'13 Aug CBR ( to capture the last of my children's youth as they're growing too fast!!!!)
Elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

For dessert, I suggest that you head over to Babycakes. It's inside to Pollo Campero building. Every single thing that this bakery makes is gluten free.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
natmom
Mouseketeer

My daughter got very sick at the rain forest cafe. The chef had even come and spoken with us ahead of time. The chef seemed to know what he was talking about but no.
natmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: