Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
mtquinn
DIS Veteran

vrbo, flipkey or craigslist to find a vacation rental?

I own a home in Ocean City, NJ that I rent out. I use vrbo and craigslist to market it, and it filled up nicely last summer with those alone.

This year, I also tried out Flipkey, connected with Trip Advisor, and have gotten some good traffic. Now I will need to decide which paid service to use after the spring.

I know vrbo/homeaway are the biggies, and craigslist is a keeper since it is free, but Flipkey is sort of new and only has one page of listings for Ocean City, NJ so far.

Cape May and Wildwood have tons of listings, but OCNJ? Not so much, for whatever reason. So, my house gets lots of hits

Vrbo is so loaded with listings that I have to pay the highest fee to be among the first 80 properties shown. It's a lot. Flipkey is much less.

I don't know which to use...Flipkey or Vrbo. Give me your thoughts.
mtquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtquinn View Post
I own a home in Ocean City, NJ that I rent out. I use vrbo and craigslist to market it, and it filled up nicely last summer with those alone.

This year, I also tried out Flipkey, connected with Trip Advisor, and have gotten some good traffic. Now I will need to decide which paid service to use after the spring.

I know vrbo/homeaway are the biggies, and craigslist is a keeper since it is free, but Flipkey is sort of new and only has one page of listings for Ocean City, NJ so far.

Cape May and Wildwood have tons of listings, but OCNJ? Not so much, for whatever reason. So, my house gets lots of hits

Vrbo is so loaded with listings that I have to pay the highest fee to be among the first 80 properties shown. It's a lot. Flipkey is much less.

I don't know which to use...Flipkey or Vrbo. Give me your thoughts.
As a house renter, I only use vrbo. I've never heard of Flipkey before, and I'm more comfortable using a long established service. I will check Flipkey out online now that you've mentioned it, but would probably still not use it till it's more popular.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
mtquinn
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the input! I know, it is a newer service, but I figured it may catch on within a year due to the established name of Trip Advisor, with which it is connected.

It's really just the same thing as vrbo in every way. Looks like they copied vrbo's online model almost exactly. What differs is that when someone searches a place on Trip Advisor, there is a link to Flipkey to find places to rent in that location. Kinda neat.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

I'm a house renter and never use VBRO. I always use either www.vacationrentals.com or www.vacationhomes.com.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
mtquinn
DIS Veteran

Thank you, Darcy. vacationrentals.com is a division/partner of vrbo. vacationhomes is new to me, so I will have to check that out.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

We use vrbo or homeaway. I've seen some stuff for FlipKey through Tripadvisror while looking for a place for spring break but I haven't used them.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

When we rent, we use one that is specific to the region where we want to rent, Adirondack by Owner. Perhaps there is something similar to that where your house is located?
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
keenercam
Wishes she were Mickey's girl
Would settle for looking like Tinkerbell instead of Winnie the Pooh

We used homeaway. They seem to police their site very well. They immediately contacted me after I sent an email to an owner. Homeaway had just determined it was a fraudulent listing and if we'd given credit card or check information, we would be at risk - fortunately, it hadn't gotten that far. But just their diligence in that particular circumstance (when I'd contacted owners on about 20 properties) was enough to reassure me that it was a good site.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Did craiglist once...worst experience.

Used vrbo....really good experience.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
jgreco
Mouseketeer

Craigslist is full of scams in Florida. I saw photos of my neighbors house on there for rent and asked them about it. Someone had stolen old photos off a realtor.com listing and made a fake post using their pictures.
jgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
mtquinn
DIS Veteran

Yep. craigslist is full of fraudulent listings. I will continue to list because it served me well last year, and it's free, so I like it. But you do have to be wary.

I guess it's between vrbo and flipkey. Flipkey is more up and coming, while vrbo is more established. But, it's much more expensive that Flipkey if you want to be on the first couple of pages in search results.

A listing can get buried in the last pages. It takes a determined type of renter to really go through over seven or so pages of search results. Most people stop after two or three pages, tops.

I guess Ill stay with vrbo, but Flipkey is a good site, too.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

I usually find my rentals thru the local chamber of commerce, but I always check out VRBO/Homeaway. This year I also checked out flipkey.

I will say that I check ALL the listings for all the places that suit my needs (size and availability) as you never know when you are going to find a bargain, such as the listing that had the week we wanted at half price but the discount was buried in the listing and not showing in the rates.

Since we tend to go on the swing weeks which most real estate rental agents discount and private owners don't I usually end up going that route (I will find the real estate agents thru the Chamber website). However; two years ago we rented a cottage that we had found that was listed directly by the homeowner. I found the link to the homeowner's personal website thru the local chamber of commerce website. It was a great place at a great price and I never would have found it otherwise because they weren't showing up until page 10 on a google search
Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
Lucille1963
DIS Veteran

My first thought was www.airbnb.com
I have friends that use it to rent out their properties and they love it.

Lucille1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
NJtoATL
Mouseketeer

I only rent from vrbo.... craigslist.... not me. flip who? no thanks.

NJtoATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 AM   #15
foreUT
DIS Veteran

I have a rental on VRBO and added HomeAway in January. I have been very pleased w both. I use the Reservation Manager and I think they make it easy to handle to your own rentals, as opposed to needing a Management Company. As far as responses, I have March through August booked straight except for a couple of weeks.
foreUT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: