Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
mbfaith406
Mouseketeer
 
mbfaith406's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 105

Rain rain go away!

How bad is the World when it rains?! It is in the forecast next week and I'm worried about it...we're only there 5 days so we need all the time we can get
mbfaith406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 77,411

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfaith406 View Post

1- How bad is the World when it rains?!
2- It is in the forecast next week and I'm worried about it...
1- Depends. It can be great, as it keeps extra guests away.
Put on your rain poncho and have a great time!

2- You can safely ignore any forecast over 24 hours away.

It can be raining buckets at, say, Epcot and the sun can be shining at MK.
Don't sweat it.
__________________
.


.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
jmaycheer2012
Mouseketeer
 
jmaycheer2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 76

Rain isn't really that bad. The parks will clear out though, which makes lines shorter and you can go through rides quicker.
__________________
me: amy: ric lucy:



jmaycheer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney
 
Metro West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NW Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,377
DISboards Moderator

It's been so dry here that we need all the rain we can get.
__________________
**** Universal Orlando annual passholder since 2004! ****
Metro West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac
 
stargazertechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,971

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfaith406 View Post
How bad is the World when it rains?! It is in the forecast next week and I'm worried about it...we're only there 5 days so we need all the time we can get
We are only there 5 days as well. I feel you. We arrive Saturday morning.

Just remember- a 40% chance of rain is a 60% chance of NOT rain, and just because there is rain in the forecast, it doesn't mean it will rain on the parks.

pack a few ponchos and make the best of it!
__________________
14 Trips total including POFQ, ASMU, CBR, AKL, WL, POP, and a trip to Disneyland!

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,440

We'll be there next week as well.

The last time we were there in Feb it rained 2x for a short period. In the rain wasn't terrible 1 of those times, the other it was super cold. BUT, once it stops the park is dead! Everyone heads for their resorts. Stick it out, eat something and say hello to an empty park in about an hour
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran
 
Herfnerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Matthews, NC
Posts: 547

I agree that you should forget about forecasts - they seem to change by the minute!

We were there last month and on our AK day, there was "only" a 20% chance of rain according to the newscast that morning, confirmed by my smartphone. Eating breakfast, it started raining - even a few heavy downpours. Lasted a few hours but we had our ponchos and waterproof Merrells so it didn't bother us in the least!
__________________
[IMG][/IMG]
Herfnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Colleen27
DIS Veteran
 
Colleen27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,417

You could always do what I do... Just ignore today's forecast and check again tomorrow. Usually it will have changed. ;-) I'm already stalking the forecast for our trip and making myself nuts, because it said 80° and sunny when I checked yesterday only to be revised to 62° and raining today (that's the day we're snorkeling at Crystal River so I'm watching it like a hawk and I'm starting to suspect some weatherman somewhere is messing with me ). At 2 weeks out, I know that weather forecasting is like throwing darts blindfolded at a chart of likely options - heck, we got 4" of snow here at home just 6 hours after the radio told me "no significant accumulation"! - but I can't seem to keep from worrying over it anyway.

But more to the point... This is dry season in FL so odds are against several consecutive days of rain. And on warmer days, rain isn't bad at all. There are a lot of indoor attractions, lousy weather keeps the locals away, and the parks empty out as the fair weather fans head for their hotels. We toss ponchos on the kids, break out the umbrellas, and forge ahead!

ETA: One essential tip, whether or not there is rain in the forecast - bring two pairs of comfy shoes so if one does get wet a dry pair is only as far away as your resort. Nothing worse than getting stuck drying tennis shoes with a blow dryer for lack of a back-up pair.
__________________
~~**Colleen & Crew**~~
POR 10/05 ~ BC 08/07 ~ WL 01/08 ~ CBR 12/09 ~ POP 03/11 TR/ DR
POP 1/12 TR ~ ASSp 5/12 ~ CSR 3/13 ~ POP 4/13 ~ ASMu 12/13

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #9
fla4fun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: near Orlando
Posts: 8,576

The rain this time of year is associated with weather fronts, not the sea breeze rains we get daily in the summer. So when a front approaches, it may rain for an hour or two up to a day or two, depending on how fast the front moves through (fast, slow, gets stuck right over us, goes south and then comes back through north, etc.). So the rain is harder to predict and the forecast will change often.

Make sure you have a poncho, and make sure you have an extra pair of shoes back at the hotel in case the first pair don't dry overnight. Most of the attractions are indoors, so they aren't affected by inclement weather. The few that can be affected are seldom shut down unless the weather gets very severe.

We really do need the rain. My poor yard is nearly brown, even with the once a week watering we are allowed. Plus, the longer we go without rain, the worse the wildfire threat is, and believe me, you'd rather have a rainy day than a smoky one.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
phewms
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 131

I'll be at the World next week too. Glad to hear that the forecast isn't very accurate. Although I should have known as it has changed every day.
phewms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.