Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
tfiga1
Mouseketeer

AKL room location question

My family would like to be as close as possible to the main building and will not be booking savannah view. I thought I read somewhere previously (I did a search and could not locate the previous thread) that pool view rooms are close to the main building. Can anyone confirm that pool view is usually closer than standard view?

Thanks so much.
tfiga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
WDW Lover
Mouseketeer

Wink Sometimes...

Usually the pool view rooms are a little farther down the hallway than a standard view room (if you get a standard view that is one of the obstructed pool views). Sometimes a standard view room is actually one of the beginning rooms in the hallway with an obstructed view of the pool (due to the trees/foliage). But sometimes the standard view rooms are way down the hallway and have a view of "nothing". It's kind of a crap-shoot! With the pool view rooms you most likely will be about half-way to 3/4 of the way down one of the wings. More of a guarantee there. But the beginning ones in the hallway are not considered pool view - so that's kind of up to you. Sorry I can't be totally specific and say "book this type of room and you will definitely be at the beginning of the hallway"
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
tfiga1
Mouseketeer

Thanks...I guess I will just book standard and ask to be close to the main building and maybe I will get lucky and get one.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfiga1 View Post
My family would like to be as close as possible to the main building and will not be booking savannah view. I thought I read somewhere previously (I did a search and could not locate the previous thread) that pool view rooms are close to the main building. Can anyone confirm that pool view is usually closer than standard view?

Thanks so much.
For AKL, there is only one building. Kidani Village (which is about 1/2 mile away) is all DVC villas. Savanna, pool are all in Jambo House for AKL rooms.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Honestly? I would book a pool view room over a standard view in a second.

All the pool view rooms are centrally located - if they are *further away* than a standard room, it would literally be an 1-2 minute increase in walking distance.
A standard room can have a view of the Parking lot or a roof.
We have stayed in a Pool View room twice - we were a 3 minute walk to the Mara - 2 minute walk to the Pool and a 5 or 6 minute walk to the bus stop.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
tfiga1
Mouseketeer

Ok, so I think I am going to go with the pool view as it is only $105 dollars more. I love this board so much good info.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

We had a standard view and it was literally directly above the check in desk. Our view was of a roof with the savanna in the distance. We were able to see animals, just with a roof in the way. If we walked out our door and turned left, we were 2 minutes from the mara. Out the door and to the right, we were in the lobby, which was perfect for heading to the bus stop. I would just request a room close to the lobby. Then, when you're checking in, ask again if they have anything close to the lobby. Enjoy, we loved AKL!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Our pool view was originally zebra trail and then they moved us to Giraffe trail as we had booked connecting with kids and the original ones connected with the rooms on the opposite sides. The Giraffe rooms were about 1/3 of the way down the hall, right past the set of elevators that comes out in front of the pool. Pretty convenient to the pool and not too far from the lobby. We'd go out the doors to the pool and around and were at the Mara for drink refills.
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14) upcoming BC 3/15

rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: