Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Trip Insurance

Is it possible to buy trip insurance through Disney more than 14 days after I paid the deposit for MYW package or is it too late now?? I know I need to call but was just wondering if it's even possible or where I can find this information.
I am not concerned about cancellation before the trip (flying southwest, would just loose the $200 deposit to WDW) BUT am more concerned about trip interruption, having to fly home early or later than planned(which would mean higher airfares or hotels if someone can't fly due to sickness etc). Our medical insurance will cover us down there though.....
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
chuckinthechat
Mouseketeer

I believe you are able to purchase trip insurance up until you make the final payment for the trip
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwdw View Post
Is it possible to buy trip insurance through Disney more than 14 days after I paid the deposit for MYW package or is it too late now?? I know I need to call but was just wondering if it's even possible or where I can find this information.
I am not concerned about cancellation before the trip (flying southwest, would just loose the $200 deposit to WDW) BUT am more concerned about trip interruption, having to fly home early or later than planned(which would mean higher airfares or hotels if someone can't fly due to sickness etc). Our medical insurance will cover us down there though.....
Not sure about Disney insurance, but when we cruise we buy trip insurance through *****************. Their prices are better and so is the coverage. Several of the companies they work with will insure kids (up to a certain age) for no cost. We have only had to file one claim, but had a check within a week of sending in the paperwork. You might want to check them out.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I agree that before you book trip insurance through Disney you should check out at least a couple of the other trip insurance options that you can find elsewhere. Insuremytrip is one. Some automobile associations have travel insurance (if you are a member). Some credit cards have travel insurance as a benefit, if you book your trip with that card. Due diligence, and all that...
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Disney's insurance is $75.95 per adult and kids are covered under the adult policy.
EpcotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone.....insuremytrip has many different companies....did you just pick the one that was the right price and the right coverage for what you needed? I am assuming they are all reputable companies if they are suggested using the search on insuremytrip
Thanks Epcot Bill-that is a good comparison price to have when looking at other companies!
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinthechat View Post
I believe you are able to purchase trip insurance up until you make the final payment for the trip
This is correct. You can add the Disney insurance up to 45 days prior to check-in (the day you pay your final balance).

I also agree that you should check ***************** to compare policies and rates. As you pointed out, you are flying Southwest, so there is really no point in spending $75.95 per adult at the 45 day mark to insure your $200 deposit. If you buy through *****************, you can add the insurance right before you leave.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: