Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
jasonsk287
Earning My Ears

Visiting different resorts?

Hi all,

This is my first time posting a new topic, I've been lurking for a few months now but just signed up. Everyone here seems very knowledgeable so I figured I'd ask a question.

I'll be staying at POR from March 9-15. It's my first time staying onsite (but 4th time going to Disney) so I'm very excited. However, we are only going to be doing theme parks for 2 days since we have lots of other things we want to do in Central Florida. Of course, I'll be renting a car since I want to do traveling.

One of the things I'd like to do is visit some of the resorts I've never seen and am very interested in: AKL, AoA, Poly, etc just to look around and see what they look like. I'd very much prefer to drive to these resorts since I know resort-to-resort transportation would take forever. My question is: would I be allowed to drive into a resort's parking lot and park there? I know each resort has a gate with a security guard- would they let me in even though I'm not a guest at that particular resort? If so, would I need to show my resort ID? I just get nervous because my resort ID will say POR, so I'm not sure if I'd be rejected from the front entrances at other resorts. Thanks so much for your help in advance!!
jasonsk287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Yes, you can drive up and let them know you are visiting to check out the resort. You are able to park for up to 3 hours. You can check out the beaches, eat in the restaurants, or just stroll around and view the grounds. The only thing you won't be able to do is swim in the pools.

Have fun! We loved going to visit the other resorts. It gave us some ideas for our next vacation.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
jasonsk287
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for the info! And yeah I did read the thread on here about pool-hopping ( I know it's forbidden) but it's great to know that I can visit the resorts. We are very interested in Animal Kingdom Lodge and the theming at Art of Animation. I was thinking of parking at the Contemporary (one of my favorites, we ate there three times) and hopping the monorail to the Poly and GF. But it's good to know we have 3 hours. I'm guessing you get a timed parking pass or something?

Again thank you so much!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsk287 View Post
Thanks so much for the info! And yeah I did read the thread on here about pool-hopping ( I know it's forbidden) but it's great to know that I can visit the resorts. We are very interested in Animal Kingdom Lodge and the theming at Art of Animation. I was thinking of parking at the Contemporary (one of my favorites, we ate there three times) and hopping the monorail to the Poly and GF. But it's good to know we have 3 hours. I'm guessing you get a timed parking pass or something?

Again thank you so much!
No parking pass, but it's possible to get towed if you are there during a busy time. We had dinner at O'Hana one night, and the Wave on another. We used valet parking, because we thought we'd be there longer than 3 hours. If you use valet, you don't have the 3 hour limit. I think it was $12 plus a tip.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
Sue M
DIS Veteran

When we did this, we were asked for resort ID and photo ID. We were looking at possible resorts for a future stay. We ate lunch at one, and just walked around the other. There was no problem with just saying we were there to have a look around.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
owl0306
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
No parking pass, but it's possible to get towed if you are there during a busy time. We had dinner at O'Hana one night, and the Wave on another. We used valet parking, because we thought we'd be there longer than 3 hours. If you use valet, you don't have the 3 hour limit. I think it was $12 plus a tip.
it is $15 but no time limit and the $15 is good for 24 hrs and at all valet wdw resorts.
owl0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
owl0306
Mouseketeer

they can and will restrict parking during special events like flower and garden and food and wine at the Epcot resorts.
owl0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl0306 View Post
they can and will restrict parking during special events like flower and garden and food and wine at the Epcot resorts.
also busy times - holidays

that say you are going during spring break and the flower/garden festavial is going on

you are only visiting MK resorts - so that should not be a problem.

now Epcot resorts - you might be turned away

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
jasonsk287
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
also busy times - holidays

that say you are going during spring break and the flower/garden festavial is going on

you are only visiting MK resorts - so that should not be a problem.

now Epcot resorts - you might be turned away
Good to know. It makes sense. I didn't really consider the Epcot resorts because there are others I am more interested in. So hopefully I'll be fine there. Worst comes to worst, if we are denied at one I'll try another.

Thanks so much for all of the insight everyone, much appreciated. I'm so excited! Two weeks to go.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
grumpytx
Mouseketeer

Shouldn't be a problem as long as it's not busy. We've done it in the past with no issues.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: