DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
staceyeid
Mouseketeer

HHI - Booking through Disney cheaper than renting points

We're looking at a 2 bedroom villa at HHI the last week of April. I decided to check straight through Disney and its coming out $100/night cheaper. Does this happen often? They're not listing any specials. Will the rooms be identical? I assume this is actually better for us as we get full housekeeping and a better cancellation policy?

Thanks!!

Last edited by staceyeid; 02-17-2013 at 04:22 PM.
staceyeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

We booked a weekend through Disney a few years ago. It was a studio. There's only one resort, not an inn and villas, so yes, it would be one of the same DVC villas you could book with points.
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyeid View Post
We're looking at a 2 bedroom villa at HHI the last week of April. I decided to check straight through Disney and its coming out $100/night cheaper. Does this happen often? They're not listing any specials. Will the rooms be identical? I assume this is actually better for us as we get full housekeeping and a better cancellation policy?

Thanks!!

If you are looking a 7 nights, it can easily be less costly thru Disney directly since the weekend point costs are a LOT more than weeknights. Cash rates are the same for weekends and weekdays at that time.

The points needed for 7 nights in late April are 277 and 165 for 5 nights. In looking at the cost for a 2BR the last week in April is looks like it would be around $2918 (tax included) so at $10 per point a rental would be more than $200 less and about $129 more at $11 per point.

For a 6 night stay, the points would be 221 or $2210 at $10 per point and $2431 at $11 per point.

As mentioned, the 7 nights thru Disney will offer full housekeeping and a regular Disney cancellation policy.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
ercrbc
Mouseketeer

I did this last week. I didn't want to use 56 pts for a Sat in early June, so I called to see what the cash rate for Saturday would be. (It was showing up $480ish on Expedia-also cheaper than renting). The Disney rate with the DVC 25% off discount put a 2BR at $385, with taxes the total was $420. Not bad IMO for a 2BR villa. Plus MS was easily able to link it to my pt reservation and we will have the same room for 6nights. Sweet

Hoping the rates stay in that ballpark and we can extend future trips with cash weekends too!
2011 June AKV-Kidani
2010 Sept OKW
2009 Sept AKV-Jambo
ercrbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
staceyeid
Mouseketeer

We ended up renting points through someone a friend has used several times for $9/point. This made rental a clear winner over direct through Disney. I didn't realize the increase for weekend points. I've always just used the calculator and looked at the whole week, not the break-up by day. Interesting and good to know!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
rmcildw2m
DIS Veteran

sounds like a good deal to me ,anytime time saving money is good .
Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercrbc View Post
I did this last week. I didn't want to use 56 pts for a Sat in early June, so I called to see what the cash rate for Saturday would be. (It was showing up $480ish on Expedia-also cheaper than renting). The Disney rate with the DVC 25% off discount put a 2BR at $385, with taxes the total was $420. Not bad IMO for a 2BR villa. Plus MS was easily able to link it to my pt reservation and we will have the same room for 6nights. Sweet

Hoping the rates stay in that ballpark and we can extend future trips with cash weekends too!
You will need to get new keys for that last cash night...and housekeeping will be at your door the morning of the end of the point reservation (thinking you are checking out that day). We just did a linked stay at BCV and that's what happened to us...though we did not have to switch rooms, so that was good.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
Daddio
David's Vacation Club Rentals

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Smile

It is not uncommon for Hilton Head or Vero Beach to be less money through Disney. We'll often point that out to guests looking to rent through us.

~ David
Better Business Bureau Accredited: ..BBB

Daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
ercrbc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
You will need to get new keys for that last cash night...and housekeeping will be at your door the morning of the end of the point reservation (thinking you are checking out that day). We just did a linked stay at BCV and that's what happened to us...though we did not have to switch rooms, so that was good.
Thanks for letting me know!
2011 June AKV-Kidani
2010 Sept OKW
2009 Sept AKV-Jambo
ercrbc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: