Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #16
SixUnderSix
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesmt View Post
Hi, I have not taking a bunch but I have gone with many obsticles and as far as Disney you will be fine. I am legally blind, with kidney transplant and two knee replacements. My ex has a knee replacement and PTSD, our oldest dd has cerebral palsy with seizures, our youngest dd had ADHA as child and now is known to have BiPolor aspergers. I remember the trips that I had to lift dd fromw/c while blind, while ex tried to just get himself in, while younger dd would race off to another ride since she was tired of waiting. We always made out great, Disney never rushed us and we now look back and laugh at it all, and since then we all grew up, and we have added for a while a granddaughter who was born a preemie with needs for a few years but now is great.

W/c as a stroller is a great option. MAW kids get the VIP treatment so I don't think it will be as hard as you think. I think it would be a great help to ask if you can get a nanny, or a nurse. Most times your 5 year old should be able to walk, on occassions you will get a 5 yo that won't, my granddaughter wouldn't until she was 7 but she was a preemie born 8 weeks early and always a little slower muscle wise. I would also start carrying the baby in a baby front or back pack now. Disney is a lot of walking, you will at least want to be use to carrying the baby in the pack long before you go.lastly I would be concerned that you have a plan incase anyone gets separated. I hear about tatoos that have all the identifiable information on them, temporary of course. Their are places on this site that talk about them.

I hope you all have a wonderful time.
Wow, mama - you've had your hands full!!! My 8 year old was 8 weeks early and gets tired easily so I can relate to that...but I figure that we won't be moving at a crazy pace with 6 kiddos and one in a wheelchair..lol. We are not 'hurry' kind of people so hopefully our slow pace will accomodate our 8 year old and 5 year old.

Last time we went we had our 3 bio-children at the time were 6, 4, and 3 and our two foster babies age 1 and 3 months and we did two double strollers...we may have to consider that again...lol.

We've got kids that stay right with us (we have a system...lol) but we buy the safety tats every time too...just in case ;-)

Nikki (age 9)
Mikey (age 8)
Christopher (age 6)
Previous Wish kid, Jake (age 3 1/2)
Samuel (age 3 1/2):
"Charming" - foster son (13 months)
SixUnderSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #17
kalimom6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Rohrer View Post
not sure where you are staying for MAW trip but from i have seen with our 2 MAW trips, the Villas at Give Kids The World could be hard for your family. ours only had 2 bedrooms, one with a king sized bed and second with 2 twin beds. living room as a full sized sleeper and there was a roll away bed in one closet and also a pack and play. something to check out with ages and size of your family.
We went in Dec 2012 for our daughters wish trip. Six kids, ages range from 10 down to a year and a half. And my husband and I. My husband and I had the king bed, our baby had the crib in the same room as us. The second bedroom had 5 year old in one twin bed, 10 year old on the other, and 3 year old on the rollaway, pushed against the wall. Both the 5 and 3year old beds had the rails that GKTW also provides. The 7 and 8 year old boys slept on the pull out couch in the living room. We all were comfortable and slept well. Oh, and a friend of ours traveled with 10 in their group for her daughters wish trip, and they just had both sides of the villa.

Anyway, OP, like I just said, all 8 of us went almost 3 months ago. The only really long day was Sea World as that was my daughters wish. The rest were halfdays, while the youngers took naps, the others swam or explored the village with my husband or me, whichever wasn't napping.
PM me if you need any ideas, advice, questions, etc as my mind is too tired right now to think :-)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
WheeledTraveler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixUnderSix View Post

Good luck with your extra equipment. Our insurance won't pay for a concentrator so we have to travel with our E tank - oh joy ;-)
Since MAW trips usually fly, I wanted to mention that MAW is going to need to work with the airlines if your son will need oxygen in-flight. You probably already know this, but you might want to mention it to your Wish Granters if you haven't already. IIRC, the choices are usually an air-travel approved concentrator or airline-purchased oxygen during flight (with bottles delivered to GKTW; your supplier should know something about how to arrange that). I haven't ever traveled with oxygen, but I know it's something that can be extra complicated when flying.
WheeledTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: