Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #16
Snoozan
Really IS a good girl!
Mine was dark brown garbage bag

for the OP -If you don't want to pay extra for EBCI, just check in at exactly at 24 hours - not sure why all of you have to be sitting in one room. If there are 2 parents and 2 kids - each parent has a kid to sit with and the grandparents should be able to sit together or separately, with no huge worries. You should be able to find 2 seats together, especially if you go to the back of the plane.
Snoozan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmarie244 View Post
I'm seriously considering flying SW in Sept since the fares seem to be lower. But it's going to be me, DH, DS (7), DD (5), and my parents. What is the likelihood of us being able to sit together. I can't imagine being separated from the kids!
Totally agree! Invest the $10/ticket for Early Board Check-in. That will guarantee you all to be in Group A. Each ticket will be assigned a number. At the gate there will be lines A, B, C. You will line up in group A in numerical order. You will be able to sit together, keeping in mind most SW flights are configured 3/2 (3 seats one side, two seats across the aisle )

Additionally, maybe someone can answer what is the age of children for "pre boarding with small children."

Wilderness Lodge Club Level - 2010, 2013
We'll be home soon...
CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #18
mb187143
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie

Totally agree! Invest the $10/ticket for Early Board Check-in. That will guarantee you all to be in Group A. Each ticket will be assigned a number. At the gate there will be lines A, B, C. You will line up in group A in numerical order. You will be able to sit together, keeping in mind most SW flights are configured 3/2 (3 seats one side, two seats across the aisle )

Additionally, maybe someone can answer what is the age of children for "pre boarding with small children."

Early Bird Check In does NOT guarantee an A boarding pass. All it guarantees is that you will be checked in at the 36 hour mark. It means you will have a better boarding position than those checking in at the 24 hour mark. Because so many passengers are buying EBCI now, it is more and more common to see early B boarding numbers. Also, if your flight originates in a other city, any passenger continuing on your flight who bought EBCI would be checked in to your flight ahead of you.

Family boarding is for children 4 and under, however this can be further restricted or suspended altogether, at the discretion of the gate attendant. On the last 3-4 flights I've taken on southwest to Orlando (february, june, september, and november 2012), the family boarding was suspended once, and the other three times restricted to one parent/one child under 4. Grandma and Grandpa were not able to board with family boarding.

mb187143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #19
jayhawk74
Mouseketeer

I agree with using the EBCI, except that it is now $12.50 per person. Also SWA has added another boarding option, and it is only available at the gate. On flights which haven't sold all of the Business Selects positions, which are A1-15, they will offer the unused positions for $40. This boarding position upgrade becomes available 40 minutes prior to the flight. Another thing to remember any A-listers, very frequent SWA flyers, who didn't get an "A" position are now allowed to board after the "A"s and before family boarding. There should be very few of these as any A-lister who didn't get an A position was probably rebooked from a missed earlier flight.
jayhawk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 AM   #20
Zerosinthecloset
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post

SWA's 737s are configured 3/3...the only 3/2 row is in the exit row area.
Zerosinthecloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:27 AM   #21
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

To be honest, it's the one thing that keeps me from booking Southwest.

I know it's a great deal for some people. But for my family, it's worth the extra money to know that we're all seated together.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club A change in plans...trying the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #22
PlutoPony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk74 View Post
I agree with using the EBCI, except that it is now $12.50 per person.
EBCI is still showing as $10 on their website
PlutoPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #23
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post

A few inaccuracies here....First, there is only one way to guarantee that you will end up in the A group..buy a business class ticket (much higher than get-away fares) or wait until you get to the gate and pay addtl for one of the A1-15 spots...same as the business class gets. Otherwise, you can very well end up in the B group even when using EBCI.
And the vast majority of SW planes are 3/3 seats. The smaller planes are 3/2 but I have yet to fly on one of those.
And there really isn't 'preboarding' for young children. Those with children 4 and under are allowed to board in between the A and B groups. It is supposed to be one child, one adult but SW will often allow the family to board in this group together...as long as it isn't a large group and it is only immediate family..no aunts/uncles/grandparents.
Those that board before the A group?? Medical preboards, unaccompanied minors. Then come those that paid full fare...fully refundable fares. They usually end up in the A1-15 slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
To be honest, it's the one thing that keeps me from booking Southwest.

I know it's a great deal for some people. But for my family, it's worth the extra money to know that we're all seated together.
Be careful....any airline can change your seating. The only thing they 'promise' is to get you from point A to point B on a particular day!! I have had my seating changed many times on flights due to either changed or cancelled flights.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #24
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Be careful....any airline can change your seating. The only thing they 'promise' is to get you from point A to point B on a particular day!! I have had my seating changed many times on flights due to either changed or cancelled flights.
I realize that.

But if there's something within my power I can do to get our seats together, it's worth it to my peace of mind to do it.

If things shift out of my hands, I'll deal with it.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club A change in plans...trying the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #25
jayhawk74
Mouseketeer

Quote:
EBCI is still showing as $10 on their website
Gary Kelly, the CEO of SWA, in Dec told the employees that starting in March it will be $12.50 for EBCI

Quote:
The smaller planes are 3/2 but I have yet to fly on one of those.
All SWA planes are 3/3 except the exit row which is 3/2

Last edited by jayhawk74; 02-19-2013 at 05:27 PM.
jayhawk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #26
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
I realize that.

But if there's something within my power I can do to get our seats together, it's worth it to my peace of mind to do it.

If things shift out of my hands, I'll deal with it.
Oh, I completely understand. I just like people to realize that there is no 100% surety.
As far as getting seats together on SW?? I have boarded with the A group. I have sat and watched as other passengers get on and find seats. I have never seen those in the B group not be able to find some seats together. Now, of course, they aren't going to be able to find 7 seats all together, but they will find groups of seats together, so everyone got to sit with someone in their party!!
As long as you know that you may very well have to go to the back of the plane to find seats together and that you may have to sit just two and two, then you'll be fine.
It was only when they got to the C group that people had to start finding seats that didn't allow them to sit together. There are a ton of middle seats left at that point. And there can be some doubles together but seldom will you find an empty row!!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #27
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

I almost always fly on SWA with DH and my 3 kids. I never pay for EBCI, I always check in at exactly 24 hours. We always end up sitting together. We head towards the back of the plane and there are still plenty of empty rows. As long as there is more than one adult there shouldn't be an issue of a child sitting alone.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #28
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

DH and I frequently offer to give up our seats in a row and sit separately filling in empty spots so families can sit together.

I'm stuck with him the rest of my life. I'm more than happy to let some poor stranger deal with him for 2.5 hours

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #29
ICan'tWait
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
DH and I frequently offer to give up our seats in a row and sit separately filling in empty spots so families can sit together.

I'm stuck with him the rest of my life. I'm more than happy to let some poor stranger deal with him for 2.5 hours
Just have to say thanks for the laugh.

DH and I were just talking the other day and he actually prefers to fly Southwest. He felt we were more likely to get seats together paying for early boarding than if we fly and pick our seats. We've not had any problems getting seats together on Southwest whereas a seat assigned airline has separated and moved us all over the plane the last 2 years.
ICan'tWait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #30
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post

I'm with ya sister! And the same goes for my 13 year old DS. Actually, my DS and I go to WDW often without DH and I purposely avoided SW until my DS was old enough to sit by himself because my Type A personality would have been too stressed about the what-if. ECBI didn't exist yet.

rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: