Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
low-key
DIS Veteran

Favorite Family Vacation

when you were a kid and why ?

Going to Hollywood when I was abut 12, we drove from Ohio, I was so amazed how in some of the Mountain places how much it seem like they were 50 years behind us, also I remember a restaurant we stopped at where a black guy left his family in car, trying to get food for them and the waitress wouldn't serve him. As for Hollywood, loved it, went to film studios, seen movie stars home and just by chance we seen Peter Faulk, Brian Keith, Sonny Bono, Carol OConner, it was 1973
Old 02-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

6 weeks 7,500 miles round trip from Missouri to California. Included Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Redwood National Park, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, Universal Studio Tour, Disneyland, and the Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo. First time we ever saw gas over a buck a gallon. 1977 - I turned 10 on the trip
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
6 weeks 7,500 miles round trip from Missouri to California. Included Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Redwood National Park, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, Universal Studio Tour, Disneyland, and the Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo. First time we ever saw gas over a buck a gallon. 1977 - I turned 10 on the trip

we did them two things on our trip, at Universal before the tram started they had Frankenstein come out and walk around it, were they still doing that, you were there about 4 years after me
Old 02-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
mrsheppo
Mom to 11 and still partially sane
Isn't Heppo one of the Marx Brothers?

I was about 5 and we went to the World's Fair in Seattle. I got to go up to the top of the Space Needle. Now you couldn't get me to go up there as I am afraid of heights.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
we did them two things on our trip, at Universal before the tram started they had Frankenstein come out and walk around it, were they still doing that, you were there about 4 years after me
We had the tram. Enjoyed driving through the "RedSea". I loved playing with the fake boulders LOL.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

The only place we ever vacationed as a family when I was growing up was Texas. My Dad was from there, so every other summer we drove out to visit family. It was always fun seeing my Grandma again, aunts and uncles and cousins.

Other than that, we spent a lot of time at my maternal grandparents' cottage on the lake. I loved being there, spending time with my grandparents, going fishing with Grandpa and just enjoying the peace and quiet of "up north." Every summer Mom and I would spend a week with them, and when I got older I would stay another week with them by myself. Even after I got married I continued going up to stay with them a few days every summer. Wonderful memories.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
I would love to something like this but I can't talk DH into the driving.

My favorite vacation was to Disney World. I grew up in the Tampa Bay area so we went to WDW often, but mostly day trips. When I was about six, we stayed for a week at The Contemporary and did the whole thing...All of the parks, Chef Mickey's...It was amazing!(As seen through my six year old eyes)
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

We went to Florida nearly every year when I was growing up. We always drove. My dad had every detail planned out - where we would stay, where we would eat, etc. But my absolute favorite family vacation when I was a kid was a trip to Missouri. It was the entire family, including grandparents, all in the wood-paneled station wagon.

We stayed in a cabin somewhere, maybe in a state park. There was a pool and all kinds of nature trails. I remember taking long walks and looking at all the flowers with my grandmother and her telling me what each flower was. I also remember sharing one bathroom with everyone - that was the unfun part. We went to St. Louis and saw the arch on the way home.

I was about 7, so that would have made it 1980ish.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
We went to Florida nearly every year when I was growing up. We always drove. My dad had every detail planned out - where we would stay, where we would eat, etc. But my absolute favorite family vacation when I was a kid was a trip to Missouri. It was the entire family, including grandparents, all in the wood-paneled station wagon.

We stayed in a cabin somewhere, maybe in a state park. There was a pool and all kinds of nature trails. I remember taking long walks and looking at all the flowers with my grandmother and her telling me what each flower was. I also remember sharing one bathroom with everyone - that was the unfun part. We went to St. Louis and saw the arch on the way home.

I was about 7, so that would have made it 1980ish.
Hmmm, wonder if that's someplace I've been. Used to love Sam A Baker State Park when I was a kid. We'd camp there often and ride our bikes all over the place, wander the trails, splash in the river. Good times
Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
winterman
DIS Veteran

For several years when I was about 10 to 14, we would load up the car (and I do mean load it up) and head north from Mass. to Maine. My dad's uncle lived in Orono and had a camp north of there. It was about 220 miles from the NH border and took us nearly 12 hours, including stopping at Uncle Nick's for the key. This was the early 60's, before I 95 was completed.

Anyway, we were there for 2 weeks. The camp was right on the water at a beautiful, clean lake. There was a dock to jump off, a canoe and a small power boat. I bet I spent at least 6 hours/day in the water. There was an island in the lake where we picked wild blueberries. In the evenings we played board games. And we always took a day trip to Acadia National Park, buying freshly steamed lobsters on the way back to camp. It didn't cost us much and we all had a ball (my parents, older sister and younger brother and usually a grandparent or two.)

It may not sound great now, but we never had money to spend on vacations and this was heaven.

20+ years later DH and I and our 2 young kids moved to within an hour of the camp and Uncle Nick gave us a key and let us use it anytime. It was exactly the same as it had been 20 years earlier and we still had a great time. Unfortunately, several years later Nick decided to sell as he was tired of paying the taxes. Our kids were a few years from college and there was no way we could buy it. So that was the end of our days at camp.

winterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Hmmm, wonder if that's someplace I've been. Used to love Sam A Baker State Park when I was a kid. We'd camp there often and ride our bikes all over the place, wander the trails, splash in the river. Good times
Very cool! I'll have to get ahold of my mom and see if she can remember where it was we stayed.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
Very cool! I'll have to get ahold of my mom and see if she can remember where it was we stayed.
Please do - I bet it's someplace I know of
Old 02-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

My parents took us camping every summer to Kerr Reservoir for 2weeks of primitive camping. That's 2weeks no running water, no electricity, and no toilet. Kinda like a.Carnival cruise, except we enjoyed it.I have pictures of my mom hanging up.cloth diapers that she washed.in the lake. I know...bleah, right? People.weren't quite so fastidious back then.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #14
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Sadly, we never went on vacation when I was a kid. My first real "trip" was to the Rose Parade when I was in 9th grade and that was with my high school band.

I went to Disney for the first time on my honeymoon.

I think this is why I value family vacations with my own family, even if we should be putting our money elsewhere. That week of uninterrupted time together- you just can't put a price on that!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
L107ANGEL
Tipsy Pioneer (Committed PUI)
Has trouble holding on to tags
Release your inner Betty Crocker!
I shoulda had a V-8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
My parents took us camping every summer to Kerr Reservoir for 2weeks of primitive camping. That's 2weeks no running water, no electricity, and no toilet. Kinda like a.Carnival cruise, except we enjoyed it.I have pictures of my mom hanging up.cloth diapers that she washed.in the lake. I know...bleah, right? People.weren't quite so fastidious back then.

Camping is pretending your homeless to me

WDW as a kid

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: