Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
low-key
DIS Veteran

Have you ever been fired or laid off

Was the company classy about it, or was it a real cheap shot ? I have had pure luck and it hasnt happen to me, but when I see it around me, sound like in most case the company was real dirty dog about it
Old 02-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

I was outsourced to another company. Sort of laud off. My company did it quite nice I think. It was after a large merger and the people being laid off or outsourced where given a letter with an end date and how much severance package we got. It was 3 weeks pay for each year you were employed with the company, if you were outsourced and 6 weeks pay for each year if you were laid off. My boss was there for 20 years, so he got a very large severance package. He then got a new job two weeks later.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Let go as a car salesman - wasn't any good at it.

Also lost a job due to a move. Did have the option to move with my job, but chose not to.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Happened a month ago and it was totally cheap. I worked in a call centre and our account hired a bunch of people to help with the Christmas rush. After Christmas all the senior reps were let go due to a shortage of work. Of course it was NO coincidence that all the people let go got benefits and earned more than the newbies.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

I've been lucky, but Mrs. Tex has been laid off three times. The first two were both on the order of, "Oh, clean out your desk and don't come back tomorrow." Real class, and they were indeed layoffs and not terminations. The last one was pretty classy. Not much severance (the clinic was rapidly going broke) but they did what they could and let her use the office to help in a job search. (Which was successful, by the way -- she loves her job now and is making close to twice as much money.)

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

I've been BOO'ED!!!
DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
hellow
Mouseketeer

Knock on wood have never been fired or laid off. Probably would have been laid off from my last job if I stuck around, but I laid myself off--didn't get any severance that way though.
hellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Yep got laid off in 08. Hundreds of us did. It was pretty classy and we got a good package. How they chose people was kinda cruddy, but oh well. They hired me back a few months later.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

yep, back in 1993, and they weren't very nice about it. i'd been working there 5 months, and had caught up the massive billing backlog of the attorney i was working for (large firm-for my area, anyway-8 attorneys), so they didn't need me anymore. they said the attorney's secretary could handle it, now that it was caught up. yeah, right! she was the reason it was so far behind! they just called me in one friday afternoon and told me my services were no longer needed.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
Mama Mouse
DIS Veteran

I was laid off mid 2010 but it was handled very professionally. Myself and about 19 other co workers (Half of our entire staff) had to be let go due to budget cuts at the state level to our program. My boss was very fair and basically cut the 20 most recent hires. So even though I'd been there a few years, I fell into that category because the turnover in our field is low.

That said, after a year in another position, one lonely position opened back up at the job I'd been laid off from and I got it back and that's where I'm still at now.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Yup, in 2005. New ownership. They "worked" with me because I didn't know how to do my job, according to the local management. However, Corporate was looking to have me train others at the other locations they had because I was very specialized and had done my job longer than anyone in the entire corporation. Actually, I was asked to resign in exchange for 6 months pay as severance by local management. I was unemployed for 4 days....only because it took 3 days to get my drug test back at my new job.
Insiders tell me the real reason I was let go has to do with how much I was making......and that the local management wanted to "go another direction", a direction I had already proven would not be successful....and 7 years later...they have proved me right.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #11
stasijane
Crazed one

Interesting to see this as I was just laid off starting Friday night (I work nights) Work has been slow and I have a call back date of Sept 3rd. It was unexpected but I am not to worried about it. The crazy part to me anyways is that I am leaving Thursday for mine and my DD13 WDW trip and I just told her the day before this happened. "Man I wish I didnt have to work until the trip, it would sure make time go by fast"... I am never gana say them words again
Old 02-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
pandamom
I want to go to WDW NOW!
Loves Panera Bread

I was laid off in December -- not classy at all. Company was bought out 13 months prior and had done several rounds of layoffs prior to this one. Company has been doing press releases about how many new hires they will be doing, how much money they are investing, company will be growing, etc. and then closes a large office in November and then laid off over 100 more in December. We were let go on a conference call. Corporates idea of management is to lay off experienced workers (I had 16 years experience which was about average for the group laid off) and replace with college grads. Real kicker is our 401 plan matches for the year on December 31 -- so no 401 payoffs for any of us. They did match the severance plan from the last company which was very generous (had to sign paper saying I wouldn't sue them to get it) and we got a month of job search / resume assistance from a career management firm and extended insurance benefits. In the end I think my coworkers and supervisors who weren't let go were more upset -- we were short staffed and way overworked before the layoffs and the new hires just aren't capable of doing the jobs we did.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #13
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

I was laid off once, but I was a seasonal employee in retail so it was expected.
I was 'let go' once....I was working for a company thru a temp agency. They were supposed to hire me after 12 weeks. On Friday of week 11, one of the supervisors called me into the office and was very nice and apologetic, said they were cutting back and he would actually be doing the job they had planned to hire me for. I was so happy I practically waltzed on air the rest of the day. I hated that job & had actually cried the week before because I hated it, but since the pay was very good I told myself to 'suck it up', lol.
I just thought it odd that 'big boss' was nowhere around the day I was let go.

Book Challenge Goal 72/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #14
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

My hubby has been laid off twice in the last nine years. Both where with big banks and done on the up and up.

I was laid off once in 1990 and I was called in and told to pack my desk. That was it.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:59 AM   #15
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

I have been laid off once--back in 09. No severance, nothing. The company was restructuring, I had been the last person hired 5 months previously. My boss's position was eliminated, and instead of leaving the ONLY company she had ever worked for (from high school, thru college, to 5 years later), she laid me off and took my position. Of course, I didn't get anything--I was only 5 months in the position.

DH has been laid off twice. Once in 01---we had transferred to that area for that company 5 months previously. They closed that office, and DH was told he could transfer to back where we came from (a tiny tiny town in NV) or could take the lay off. He was given 6 weeks severance pay, and they paid for our insurance for 6 months. He took the layoff--we didn't want to move back to the tiny town--glad we didn't, as they laid off 75% of the people in that office 6 months later...and no one in that tiny town was hiring civil engineers or designers!

The 2nd time for him was in 09--3 months after I was laid off. He survived the first 4 rounds of layoffs, but got hit in the 5th. Got 2 weeks severance, and they did a class on how to find a new job. The advice: call your contacts..which would have worked had he be in the first two rounds of layoffs--they all found jobs. To top it off, we had only lived here for 18 months or so...not too many contacts.

Took him 2 years to find a FT job (and I'm still unemployed---our area got hit hard by the recession, and all the jobs I'm qualified for are filled by people like DH, who haven't been able to find a job in their sector.)
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: