Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
wishesuponastar
DIS Veteran

Awful meals LOL

My family had a good laugh at my expense over meals that I have served. One was a new recipe I found that had ritz crackers, sour cream and chicken.....I think it was the sour cream they didn't like the most about it. I thought it was tasty LOL
Another time was when I made black bean burgers. Come on what's so bad about that

Anyone else want to share their awful meals??
wishesuponastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
denisem
DIS Veteran

An electric pressure cooker cookbook had a recipe for lasagne (done in 6 minutes!).

Oh, it was bad....
denisem is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
tasha99
DIS Veteran

I think I'm a pretty good cook, but DS told me recently that my American food sucks and I should stick with Chinese. I am not Chinese, btw, though we do eat a lot of Asian food.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Worst meal mom ever made is one we're still talking about, though it was in the '60s. She said the recipe came from some big name cookbook. It was a casserole that involved canned cherry pie filling, diced spam, and a pie crust to cover. We weren't an eat-out family, but that night we abandoned the casserole and went to a take-out joint for a large bag of burgers and fries. BTW, burgers were 15 cents then, fries maybe 10 cents.
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

I LOVE black bean burgers. We eat them often.

The worst thing I ever made was a recipe from a magazine. I can't remember all the ingredients but it involved cabbage and frozen french fries baked in a casserole. It was horrible. My kids still talk about it.

TP
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
wishesuponastar
DIS Veteran

I'm willing to try new meals but I draw the line on the one with cherry pie filling & spam
Old 02-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

DH made shrimp chili.

I'll let that sink in for a minute.

Yes, shrimp chili. Made from a Bear Creek chili mix...and shrimp.

My worst meal? The first year I cooked a turkey. Got it from my work. Darn thing was 22 lbs. DD#2 only weighed about 12 lbs at that point. Had no idea how to cook the darn thing (before internet)...came out raw.

My worst recipe? We've all blanked it out, but it had something with fennel in it and was a Jamie Oliver recipe. It was that bad--no one wants to remember it. None of his recipes work for me...
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
wishesuponastar
DIS Veteran

I forgot about the time when I was newly married and had my sis and bro-in-laws over for dinner and I made a pumpkin pie from scratch. I don't think I had a blender so everyone was eating strings of the pumpkin
Old 02-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

I am not a good cook at all, but DBF always eats up everything, even when I know it's bad. I think that means I should keep him
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

OMG i was on the floor with these! Ah ha ha ha. My favourite is the cabbage with frozen French fries. Awesome! LMAO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Pitman
The worst thing I ever made was a recipe from a magazine. I can't remember all the ingredients but it involved cabbage and frozen french fries baked in a casserole. It was horrible. My kids still talk about it.

TP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishesuponastar
I forgot about the time when I was newly married and had my sis and bro-in-laws over for dinner and I made a pumpkin pie from scratch. I don't think I had a blender so everyone was eating strings of the pumpkin

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
superme80
DIS Veteran

It was some mexican dish and instead of using 1 chilie I used the whole can! It was so spicey DH had 2 bites and I think I had 4. Never again!
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 9 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

DH bought a chicken cordon bleu one time and the stink in the house when he cooked it was knock-you-on-your-butt bad. It was beyond awful. And the taste...frankly, with the smell, I'm not sure why/how we even got to the "tasting it" part.

My MIL made Thanksgiving dinner once...her turkey is notoriously dry. So I ladled on the gravy thinking it would help. Unfortunately she had made the turkey from scratch and had forgotten a key ingredient...FLAVOR. It tasted like wet flour. To this day I joke that my MIL doesn't "believe in seasoning".
Old 02-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Oh my dear dear grandmother, as the youngest of five with three older sisters she was the baby and never had to learn to cook....until she was married.
- 1st thanksgiving her gravy would have been more appropriate for affixing wallpaper than for eating. My grandpa threw it out and told her he never liked gravy anyway.
-when my dad was a kid she found a recipe in a magazine for sweet n sour tuna casserole. The kids were begging for PB&J after trying it. After sitting down and trying it herself...grandma went And made them all PB&Js
-when my mother was in the hospital when I was a kid grandma sent food over to us, I remember beans ...in everything; spaghetti bake, with beans, hamburger and rice..with beans, tuna salad yes with beans. Then there were cookies for dessert but she got the salt and sugar mixed up, made for the strangest cookies I've ever had.

Now grandma has severe dementia and can't even attempt to cook. I miss some of her crazy meals, and she made the best three bean salad I've ever had, I'm thinking beans were her speciality
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
wishesuponastar
DIS Veteran

Awww sweet grandma and her beans
Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessB320
Oh my dear dear grandmother, as the youngest of five with three older sisters she was the baby and never had to learn to cook....until she was married.
- 1st thanksgiving her gravy would have been more appropriate for affixing wallpaper than for eating. My grandpa threw it out and told her he never liked gravy anyway.
-when my dad was a kid she found a recipe in a magazine for sweet n sour tuna casserole. The kids were begging for PB&J after trying it. After sitting down and trying it herself...grandma went And made them all PB&Js
-when my mother was in the hospital when I was a kid grandma sent food over to us, I remember beans ...in everything; spaghetti bake, with beans, hamburger and rice..with beans, tuna salad yes with beans. Then there were cookies for dessert but she got the salt and sugar mixed up, made for the strangest cookies I've ever had.

Now grandma has severe dementia and can't even attempt to cook. I miss some of her crazy meals, and she made the best three bean salad I've ever had, I'm thinking beans were her speciality
This made me smile!

Years ago, my mother attempted some kind of casserole that included cabbage, potatoes, and all kinds of other things. She used sugar instead of salt. Uh-oh.

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: