Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Nellas Elensar
DIS Veteran

Blue Horizons Question...

Hi...I've been wondering about something for the past few months. Last summer, Sea World Orlando lost its final false killer whale, who died due to illness. I am wondering what they are doing to fill in that gap in the show. Are the dolphins performing more? Is there a brand new segment where the false killer whale segment should have been? Have they shortened the show?

Nellas Elensar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

I guess we saw the show before that happened. The last time I saw the blue horizons show was May of 2012. I wont be back til Saturday.
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
LisaTN
DIS Veteran

We were there two weeks ago... Excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure what a 'false' killer whale is... But the blue horizons show was all dolphins and birds... No whales...
2005 - Coronado Springs (couples trip with my then fiance, now DH)
Nov 2011 - POR, DDs first trip
Feb 2012 - POR
Feb 2013 - POR
July 29-August 3, 2013 - Bonnet Creek
August 3 - August 6th, 2013 - Pop Century
Oct 6-11, 2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP
February 2-7, AoA, Cars Suite
May 23-25 - Sarratoga Springs, Treehouses
June 6-12 Art of Animation, Little Mermaid Room
*** September 21-28th, POR
*** June 1-5 Disney Dream Cruise, First Cruise!
LisaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Nellas Elensar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTN View Post
We were there two weeks ago... Excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure what a 'false' killer whale is... But the blue horizons show was all dolphins and birds... No whales...
Hi, Lisa...

False killer whales are mostly black with sickle-shaped flippers (whereas the Shamu family have rounded pectoral flippers). They look like this (all from 2011):

Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Nellas Elensar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmom27 View Post
I guess we saw the show before that happened. The last time I saw the blue horizons show was May of 2012. I wont be back til Saturday.
I also saw it in May 2012. I saw some memorial videos on YouTube. Some powerful stuff if you are a fan of the animals.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
bull2saintleo
Earning My Ears

The show has not changed. I was there last weekend and the part where the false killer whales is still part of the show where the bungee guys in black do tricks as they used to.

I did see a few pilot whales swimming around in the back pools, so maybe in the future they will replace the false killer whales.
bull2saintleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellas Elensar

I also saw it in May 2012. I saw some memorial videos on YouTube. Some powerful stuff if you are a fan of the animals.
I will have to check it out. I love orca whales and dolphins. Dreaming of the day I get to go to DC and swim with dolphins.

What is the real name of a false killer whale? I thought they were pilot whales. I had never heard the term false either. I know orca is the name of a killer whale.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #8
Nellas Elensar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I will have to check it out. I love orca whales and dolphins. Dreaming of the day I get to go to DC and swim with dolphins.

What is the real name of a false killer whale? I thought they were pilot whales. I had never heard the term false either. I know orca is the name of a killer whale.
Pseudorca is the alternate name for the false killer whale. It's part of their scientific name. In this name, "pseudo" means "false" and you know that an orca is another name for a killer whale. Yes, pilot whales look similar to pseudorcas, but they are from a different whale family. I have heard rumors before today that the pilot whales that bull2saintleo mentioned above would become part of the show some day. That will be interesting; I have never seen a pilot whale perform.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellas Elensar

Pseudorca is the alternate name for the false killer whale. It's part of their scientific name. In this name, "pseudo" means "false" and you know that an orca is another name for a killer whale. Yes, pilot whales look similar to pseudorcas, but they are from a different whale family. I have heard rumors before today that the pilot whales that bull2saintleo mentioned above would become part of the show some day. That will be interesting; I have never seen a pilot whale perform.
Thanks for the info.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
dolphinrescuegirl
I rather be swimming with dolphins!
Now I know not to drink from a straw

There are now pilot whales. One is from the mass stranding of 2011 and the rest are from this past years mass stranding. They are working with them now doing daily training sessions. Basic husbandry procedures (medical) have to be trained first since they are new to captivity. Then they will work with them on show behaviors. They were just about to put the one from 2011 in the show when all the new whales showed up. It will be awhile before they are fully trained for the show.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Nellas Elensar
DIS Veteran

Cool. I am hoping to return to Sea World Orlando later this spring, so maybe they will introduce the one from 2011 into the show. I know that this will probably not happen, since the whales have not had enough time to be fully trained, but I'm hoping they'll at least start introducing the whales into the show environment.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
Nellas Elensar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
Hey, no problem.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #13
bull2saintleo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellas Elensar View Post
Do some searches on Youtube for San Diego's Blue Horizons show. They've had pilot whales for many years.
bull2saintleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #14
Nellas Elensar
DIS Veteran

Thanks!!! I'll do that when I get some time over the weekend.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: