Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #16
Bounce_Tigger
Your super-awesome safari guide for the next two weeks

My brand new mp3/CD player was stolen out of my bag the locker room in high school. I strongly suspected a girl, but since it was my "fault" (I didn't lock my locker), the school just questioned her, she denied it, end of story. My parents were upset, but they used it as a lesson - people steal and I shouldn't have left it in an unlocked locker. It was a tough lesson to learn (I had to save the money to purchase a new player, and they were very expensive back then), but it was an important one.
May 2007 - CSR with best friend and family
Fall 2008 College Program - Attractions
"Grow Eyes For Poachers"
Bounce_Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #17
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
DS had a sports team jacket stolen.
Sorry, still have trouble accepting a 14 year old with a cell phone let along an iphone. My kids got cell phones when they were 16 and driving, but they had to stay in the glove box (school rule, not mine).
Both of my boys will get a cell phone when they turn 12 and it will probably be an iPhone, if they have them in 4 yrs when my oldest is 12. Don't see what the big deal is if someone wants to buy their kids a cell phone. As another poster said, you are not paying for it.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #18
Mama Mouse
DIS Veteran

My ten year old has a phone, though not an iphone. He sometimes stays home alone for very short jaunts these days and we don't use a landline. An extra cell on our plan is 10 bucks a month. Of course I got him one. He almost never uses it.

Anyhow, yeah, he's in 4th grade and since kindergarten he's had three coats, a backpack and a keychain stolen. The coat thing burns me up so, so badly. I can tell you that if my child came home with a coat that was not his, not only would I notice, I would make him return it immediately. But nope. None ever turned up in lost and found or anywhere else for that matter.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #19
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereyago View Post
That is ok, you dont pay for it lol. Her df got her her first one and she is on his plan. And it didnt matter if it was an iPhone or in your DS case, a spirts jacket(which some people would balk at expensive clothes), thieves want everything.
True. And it was a pro-sports team jacket, not a spirt jacket. Wasn't expensive, just the principle.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #20
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post
Both of my boys will get a cell phone when they turn 12 and it will probably be an iPhone, if they have them in 4 yrs when my oldest is 12. Don't see what the big deal is if someone wants to buy their kids a cell phone. As another poster said, you are not paying for it.
They just seem to cause more problems than they solve. Which is suspect is why my kids high school banned them on campus during school hours.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #21
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

yes, DD15 had a brand new winter coat stolen when she was in 2nd grade (might've been 3rd). she'd worn it outside to P.E., gotten too warm while playing, and took it off, tossing it on a bench next to the far side of the playground fence. we looked for it that afternoon when i picked her up, but it was gone. never turned up in the lost and found. and i tell y'all, our lost and found was HUGE! i couldn't believe kids would lose brand name clothing that looked brand new, and the parents didn't miss it! we never did find out what happened to that coat.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #22
G719
Mouseketeer

I had $50 stolen when I was substitute teaching for a half day at a high school. I had left my purse in the teachers' office which is not connected to any classroom and is shared by all the math teachers. It was under the desk. Someone took my wallet out of my purse. They just took the money and the janitor found my wallet after school. Guess how much I made working that half day? Yep, $50.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #23
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
True. And it was a pro-sports team jacket, not a spirt jacket. Wasn't expensive, just the principle.
Oopd.i meant sports jacket, but i have big fngers on.this.stupid touch text.keyboard lol.
hereyago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #24
shortbun
Peacenik

Things left laying around on the bus or at school are not 'stolen', they are lost. Do not take something to school you can not afford to lose. It's simple really. Expensive, material possessions are just blinking lights saying 'steal me.' IMHO

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #25
Mrs.Malone
DIS Veteran

DS 11 had a jacket stolen at school. The kids were told to leave
their jackets in a pile in the gym while they went outside to play. When he came back at the end of class (last one in)
his jacket was gone. It never turned up though we kept looking.
DS was heartbroken as this was the first time he wore it to
school. Before that he was too afraid it would be lost or stolen
but I encouraged him to just wear it since I wanted him to
get some use out of it. I felt so bad for talking him into taking it and offered to replace it
but he said he'll never take a brand name jacket to school
again.
I just want to know what 6th grade kid came home with a
brand new norrthface jacket with another kid's name and number in sharpie
several places inside it, and his parents didn't make him at
least take it to lost and found.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:18 AM   #26
pandamom
I want to go to WDW NOW!
Loves Panera Bread

In kindergarten my dd had a brand new Kim Possible (yes this was many years ago) jacket stolen. She saw another girl wearing it and told the teacher but the girl said it was hers. The next day dd told the teacher again and that she had her name written on the tag of the jacket. The teacher asked the girl again and she still claimed it was hers. The teacher checked the tag and sure enough it had dd's name in it. dd got her jacket back. Found out later that the same girl had stolen prescription glasses from dd's friend. dd's friend's mom called and left several messages for the thief's parents but they never bothered calling her back so she contacted the school. She did finally get the glasses back.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:29 AM   #27
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

DS has never had anything stolen at school, but he did have a leather jacket stolen from the dance studio when he was 8.
He left it on the coat hooks in the hallway (as required) and after class it was gone. We searched everywhere, notified the studio owners, checked lost and found repeatedly, etc.
It was another of those situations, as PPs talk about, where there is no way someone sized to fit it could have it and the parents NOT notice. The fact that an adult would steal it themselves, or allow their child to is what bothered me the most.

That said, I am not entirely sure that I would call something that was left on the bus seat "stolen" In our house that would fall under "was irresponsible and lost it" and sadly the finder chose not to return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
DS had a sports team jacket stolen.
Sorry, still have trouble accepting a 14 year old with a cell phone let along an iphone. My kids got cell phones when they were 16 and driving, but they had to stay in the glove box (school rule, not mine).
Your kids, your rules--why is it hard to accept that other people are different? I don't have any trouble "accepting a 14 year old" without a cell phone--it is not how I chose to handle it with my kids, but I can accept that you handle it that way with yours

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:04 AM   #28
magicgirl
Mouseketeer

My 6 yr old grandson had his coat stolen from school. It was quite distinctive and had his name written on the label. My DIL went into the school the next day to ask the teacher about it. A child came in wearing a very similar coat and the teacher asked him about it. He claimed it was his and the label had been cut out. My DIL then pulled the sleeve inside out and her sons name was there where she had written it as an extra precaution. What I don't understand is how a parent goes along with their child stealing and does nothing to correct it.
magicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #29
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

My oldest gives everyone the benefit of the doubt. He's had 2 items stolen. One, an iPod touch in high school, he had left it in his backpack. Put backpack down outside a class when a teacher called him in to help with something, someone grabbed it.

And just recently he had his phone taken in college.

Both times he wasn't being responsible, but still stinks that there are so many people with sticky fingers.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #30
indimom
Are We There Yet?

No, but they don't take anything worth stealing to school. We have cheap pay-as-you-go phones (which, honestly, they don't always take with them) and I won't let them take game systems, kindles or ipods. They are too expensive to lose/break/have stolen, and I told them if they have too much spare time, they can read or work on homework. Same goes for sports events like all-day wrestling meets. Bring a book or chear on your teammates.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: