Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
disny_luvr
DIS Veteran

How to find a good deal on a 1-day car rental?

We are planning a day trip to Legoland the day before our cruise in November of this year. We will be renting a car from MCO in the morning and returning it later that evening. How do I go about getting the cheapest price possible? I've never rented a car before and am pretty clueless. Also, our boys will be 7-years-old at the time. Here in PA they are still required to be in a booster seat. How does that work with booster seats in FL? We weren't planning on bringing our booster seats along as we will be using Disney transportation for the rest of our vacation and don't want the hassle of storing the booser seats in our teeny, tiny room on the ship. Can I rent boosters?

Upcoming Trips:
Polynesian ~ August 1-August 4, 2014 (Just me and DH )
Disney Fantasy: 7-night Western ~ November 28-December 5, 2015
Past Trips:
* Disney Fantasy: 7-night Eastern Cruise ~ November/December, 2013 * Disney Magic: 2-night Cruise ~ August, 2012 * Beach Club Villas ~ June, 2012 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November/December, 2010 * POP/CBR ~ May, 2009 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November, 2004 * Dixie Landings ~ April, 1996 * CBR ~ June, 1991 * Fort Wilderness ~ June, 1984 *
disny_luvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disny_luvr View Post
We are planning a day trip to Legoland the day before our cruise in November of this year. We will be renting a car from MCO in the morning and returning it later that evening. How do I go about getting the cheapest price possible? I've never rented a car before and am pretty clueless. Also, our boys will be 7-years-old at the time. Here in PA they are still required to be in a booster seat. How does that work with booster seats in FL? We weren't planning on bringing our booster seats along as we will be using Disney transportation for the rest of our vacation and don't want the hassle of storing the booser seats in our teeny, tiny room on the ship. Can I rent boosters?
Go to either Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, and the like and put in your information for a car quote. Or you can go to the individual rental agencies.

I also suggest going to http://www.mousesavers.com and there's info on current deals the rental places are having.

The boys don't legally need car seats in Florida.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
travelcoupons
DIS Veteran

I get pretty decent daily rates from the search box on http://www.rentalcodes.com/florida.html from Dollar & Thrifty for various dates in November.

Last edited by travelcoupons; 02-16-2013 at 07:37 PM.
travelcoupons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

I would rent the car for Alamo at the Car care center and then turn the car into the Alamo location at the port. Then Alamo with shuttle you to the ship. On Tues after 9:00 a.m EST alamo releases their last minute sale for that week. There is no extra fee for droping it off at a different location.

Also join their Insiders program - its free and it offers better coupons and discounts than what the general public gets.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
From what I've gleaned, it seems that getting the best deal on a rental car takes effort, but most allow you to cancel up to 24-48 hours before without penalty, so you can book and rebook as much as you like.
Even for my trip in April, I haven't found prices drop much below $40/day, except at places that are a good deal away from Disney and the airport (not worth the trip IMO). We're hoping to rent a car from one of the places on the Disney property, because our day will be in the middle of our trip, and it just makes sense, but it depends on where I can get a good deal, so I'm in the same boat as you.

As per the car seats, Florida car seat law is ridiculously lenient (the same as most tourist locations). I think it's 3 years old for a booster seat. Your 7 year olds are well past that.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
This past trip I learnt that there is no rush to book a rental car.
I usually book 6-8 months in Advance. Never again.

If you book last minute...2-3 weeks before your trip thats when you can find the best prices.

Also check out rentalcarmamma. com ..she has good codes on there!
Family Adventures Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Cocoa Beach/Daytona/ Texas/ St Thomas USVI/ Cuba/ Belize/ Jamaica/ Bahamas/ St Maarten/ Cozumel/ Costa Maya/Puerto Vallarta/ Honduras /Dominican Republic / Cayman Islands & Many...MANY Disney Land trips & Most recently Sailed the Disney Magic[/FONT][/SIZE]
vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: