Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
AmyandMichael
Mouseketeer

husband and disabilities

I am sorry. I posted this on someone else's thread.

First time on this board and I have a random question. In the past year my husband was diagnosed with a Charcot foot (diabetic disabilty) and will be using a handicapped sticker for the car along with a scooter. When we get to the parks, how do we get on the trams or is there a place to parks closer? We know the monorails will be no issue but are concerned about people having to wait for us. Our daughter will also be coming with us and will have just had club foot surgery so she will not be able to walk far either and will probably need a stroller. I do not want to inconvenience anyone, just trying to take some stress away so they can have a magical time as we celebrate her 5th birthday and our Family Adoption Day! Thanks for any input!

Read our family's adoption story at www.thechristopherfamily.blogspot.com
AmyandMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

Since you have you handicapped sticker, the best idea would be to park in the handicapped parking area. That would be the closest to the entrance of the parks except for MK where you will either have to take either the monorail or the ferry to get to the parks unless you take the bus. Your husband can ride his scooter from there. The rest of you will have to walk since there is no tram in the handicapped lot.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
RiversideGal
Keeper of the Mirth & Debit Card Queen

My DH uses a scooter at DW due to diabetic issues as well. We have found the guests and Castmembers are very accomodating. Don't worry about holding anything up....the Castmembers will have you waiting to board attractions in "the right place" and it will be efficient. Just take your time and enjoy the Magic.....donl't stress!

2005 PORiverside "Trip of a Lifetime"

2008 Wilderness Lodge "HoneyAnniversaryMoon"

2010 Disneyland Resort, Panama Canal/Southern Caribbean Cruise, Key West & Pop Century
RiversideGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
WheeledTraveler
DIS Veteran

Congrats on adopting your daughter!

Your best bet is definitely to use the handicapped parking area and using a stroller for your daughter. I agree with peemag that it would be worth it to go to Guest Services and see about getting a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) so that your daughter can use the stroller in queues. Your husband won't need anything special for using the ECV (scooter) in queues.

The only times you might have an issue are the queues where your husband needs to transfer to a manual wheelchair. He probably will need to be pushed as those wheelchairs are usually too heavy for someone to wheel themselves. Since it's a manual wheelchair, he can probably hold your daughter in his lap while you push him through those queues (do NOT let him hold your daughter while operating his ECV, it's not safe in any condition and if it's a rented ECV it would be violating your rental contract). Most queues are mainstreamed (wheelchair and ECV users go through the line with non-disabled guests) and most will allow him to stay in the ECV so it shouldn't be a common issue. The FAQ on this board lists which rides he'd need to transfer to the manual wheelchair for the queue. You can also pick up the maps people with disabilities while at WDW which has the same info.

The FAQ in a sticky on this board will have much more information on things you may want to know. Chances are there will be things you didn't even think of where the FAQ can give you more information.
WheeledTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
AmyandMichael
Mouseketeer

thanks for all the advice. Fortunately. he is able to ambulate just not long distances so transfers are east. We are anticipating my daughter being the same..Thanks again

Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

park with handicapped plac in the handicapped area. foloow the line to that area. then walk and ride to gate except at MK where you can board either monrail or ferry. both EVC accessable. there are some rides that you have to use a wheelchair which is there to use but you will need to be pushed.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
AmyandMichael
Mouseketeer

Will this be the same with EPCOT and HS? Havent been in years and will be there in March as well. Staying on property but will be driving our own car to the TTC and the parks. Just wondering if EPCOT and HS have trams as well or if they offer handicapped parking? I know they have to offer it, just wondering how it works..Sorry for bothering you guys again!

Old 02-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyandMichael View Post
Will this be the same with EPCOT and HS? Havent been in years and will be there in March as well. Staying on property but will be driving our own car to the TTC and the parks. Just wondering if EPCOT and HS have trams as well or if they offer handicapped parking? I know they have to offer it, just wondering how it works..Sorry for bothering you guys again!
All four parks have handicapped parking.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyandMichael View Post
As livndisney posted, all of the parks have handicapped parking (they call it Medical Parking).
Have the handicapped parking permit out so you can point it out to the CM in the entry booth and to each CM you come to. They will direct you where to go.

All of the regular lots have tram service, but none of the handicapped parking do. At Epcot and the Studio, in our visits, those handicapped lots sometimes fill up, do you may be directed to an 'overflow' area.
Most of the time, following the blue line will get you to the medical parking, but my suggestion is still to have your permit out and show it to the CMs - if you just try to follow the line, you can occassionally find yourself in a closed lot of dead end.

If you haven't checked out the disABILITIES FAQs thread, I would suggest checking it out.
That thread is near the top of this board or you can follow the link in my signature. There is a post in that thread about parking, boats, monorails and getting around.
Post 6 is about Guest Assistance Cards, which WheeledTraveler mentioned.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: